Pellet cooker the way to go at comps

hmm, maybe dealing with the psych patients all day has me a little off of my game today.......will have to come up with controversial topic......since we are mainly passing the time because a large contingent of the group is actually sitting in TN

Arguments keeps this website interesting, because at the end of the day or next comp we can still get together and get wasted and have a great time. If everyone kissed each others arses all the time it would be about as fun as watching oprah! I know all the oprah lovers will comment now!

than they need to change the rule.. because it specifically says different. if it comes on and LIGHTS the pellets again it is illegal..

What a fun thread. But you miss an important point. If the power goes out and I switch over to a battery backup and restart the rod comes on. But it does not ignite the pellets as they are still burning. The fire is still going. So it's legal and that's what the BOD says.

More education. If the auger jams for a period of time and the fire goes out and then the auger starts working it will fill up with pellets without the igniter coming on. And you pray that it doesn't suddenly catch with a pot full of pellets - anybody here remember 2007 Mt. Vernon? What a mess but at least before the food went on. Same as with a stick burner, you can start it with a weed burner but if you sue one when the meat is on the pit it's a DQ. I know many teams have had the fire go out on a stick burner at 5 am and other than a match and paper there's no way to start it. Can't use lighter fluid or gas assist with the meat on.

Bottom line, if the pit is cold and meat is in it and you push start that is technically using electric per rule 5 except the rule says electric heat source and as it has been detailed here the igniter is not a heat source per the BOD.

Now to debunk one last myth. They are not set it and forget it. What can go wrong: power outage, auger jam, auger keeps feeding, thermostat goes out, fan stops. Just to name a few. I get more sleep than with a stick burner but I'm awake as often. The old Klose gave me 90-120 minute burns between adding wood. I had to get up walk to the cooker and add fuel, adjust air and back to sleep in 10 minutes. Now if I have my chair setup right, open eyes, look at lights and temp readings then back to sleep.

Had an auger jam at Silver Lake this year on rib cooking FE and it happened just after foiling. Didn't check for 2 hours and a cold cooker with meat that missed 2 hours cooking. Into the other FE up to 350 and got a call in ribs.

Arguments keeps this website interesting, because at the end of the day or next comp we can still get together and get wasted and have a great time.
Speak for yourself. Doctor says behave so one large Jack on Friday night if I'm lucky. Now if we get rained in Saturday and can't make it home then it's an act of God and even the Doctor understands that. Anybody remember Saturday night at Fairbanks?

In my humble opinion:

Cooking on a pellet cooker is kinda like entering a brand new corvette into a car show. Yea your probably going to place or even win. What kind of satisfaction is that??

On the other hand building your own hot rod from the ground up and then entering it into that same contest. Wouldnt you get a little more satisfaction??????

I personally dont care what anybody else cooks on. I am going to do what I do. I can control that. I cannot control what other people do.

It boils down to this for me: I feel that I am having to control Mother Nature with my pit. While someone who is cooking on a pellet cooker is controlling a thermostat.

Right or wrong is not the question,

The question is am I cooking to the best of my abilities no matter what everybody else is doning???????

Smoke On

clint

Is it really that big of a deal to you that you called the KCBS?

We've beat this one to death is several threads. Until the board changes the rules, pellet cookers are legal. The heat source is wood in the form of pellets. Several of the competition cooks who use pellet cookers have said that they would take their meat out of the cooker if they had to relight their pit. in fact, Scottie said exactly what the KCBS executive said on the phone. Can we put this to bed now? Don't we have more important things to discuss? Like sand vs. water, beans or no beans or fat cap up or fat cap down? :biggrin:

for the record,

water, beans and fat cap down (smart ass mod) :-D:-D

Arguments keeps this website interesting, because at the end of the day or next comp we can still get together and get wasted and have a great time. If everyone kissed each others arses all the time it would be about as fun as watching oprah! I know all the oprah lovers will comment now!

Wow, I might be posting more at the CBBQA if there were a few more with your attitude over there...To many people over there have to be loved by everyone, cant rock the boat, they might not like me!

If a pellet fell in the woods.... would you hear it scream..... oh hell nevermind. On to Tullahoma!!!!

Smoke on!!!

Correction

If a pellet fell in the woods.... would you hear it scream..... oh hell nevermind. On to Tullahoma!!!!

Smoke on!!!

I beleive the saying is...if a pellet fell in the woods would it wake up the pellet head getting a good night sleep...yes I am jealous....:sad:

Anybody remember Saturday night at Fairbanks?
I do believe that would be the 10.5 inches and funnel clouds in the morning....yeah, the one that actually ate my board on my FEC....thank God we had the other smoker.....

You are a pellet head in the making Sled... I can get 14 hours of burn out of my WSM... Without ever having to play with fire or charcoal or lump...
Scottie I dont have anything against pellet ones love going around making sure they are all awake at dawn dont want anyone missing the sun coming up. Love my lang and the comp so far. This is my 1st year and went up against some of you big boys at Kettering for my 1st comp. and did real good. I like tending the fire and probullay will for a long time. That for me is the fun of smoking. While you guys sleep we eat ribs and fatties and look trashed the next day but thats ok too. Good luck too all that compete.......

Tell ya what. You pay me to come and I will do just that. If you think I can't cook an any smoker, I guess you'll be surprised... I'll even go one step further. I'll cook on the exact same cooker as you, give you all of my recipies and seasonings and still beat ya. Is that what you want?

come on now. It's starting to get insulting.

Scottie I am still learning and could use some reciepes and dont care if I get beat.....so why waste them there when some of us that want to learn could use them

Back