Pellet cooker the way to go at comps

Wow - I have never thought about the hot rod being illegal.

Hmm - I guess it would be an infraction on the letter of the law, but not the spirit of the law. I remeber the day I hated pellet cookers. COuld not stand them, would never use them.

I own two.

Come on down south, I did a South Carolina BBQ association contest. They dod not have any rules about your cooker, you just have to cook it on site, Propane Charcoal Wood Pellet, heck you could even boil it you want, you just have to cook it on site.
I did not see any electric cookers but I think we were one of maybe 3 teams not using gas at least at some point in the cook.
As I said before it does not matter to me what you want to cook on at the comp. Just dont be an a** if you are nearby, I want to have fun its the weekend

i just got off the phone with the executive of KCBS and they stated that if the auger does not allow the pellets to continue to burn on their own and the pellet fire goes out..

you must bring over another team and have them witness that the meat is being taken off the cooker and relit.. once relit you can replace the meat.

they also said and makes me a little sad,"no one would know but you."

I was in the meeting when this was discussed. They ruled that it wasn't an issue.

The hot rod produces the same amount of heat as a BIC lighter.

i just got off the phone with the executive of KCBS and they stated that if the auger does not allow the pellets to continue to burn on their own and the pellet fire goes out..

you must bring over another team and have them witness that the meat is being taken off the cooker and relit.. once relit you can replace the meat.

they also said and makes me a little sad,"no one would know but you."

Is it really that big of a deal to you that you called the KCBS?

We've beat this one to death is several threads. Until the board changes the rules, pellet cookers are legal. The heat source is wood in the form of pellets. Several of the competition cooks who use pellet cookers have said that they would take their meat out of the cooker if they had to relight their pit. in fact, Scottie said exactly what the KCBS executive said on the phone. Can we put this to bed now? Don't we have more important things to discuss? Like sand vs. water, beans or no beans or fat cap up or fat cap down? :biggrin:

If the power goes out and back on again, the hot rod will come on for four minutes. Every cooker with a Traeger controller (and hot rod still connected) will act this way. If you trip their power and flip it back on, you've just DQ'd every pellet team.

The fire never went out, but the hot rod is activated at that point. You can't turn it off without cutting the wire.

this thread is so farkin funny, you could not make this chit up ! some people really need to use the spell check mod however, now what are we going fight about in January ?:p

Anybody know the record for a thread? This one has passed 130 posts in only 8 hours, on a weekday. I guess alot of workis being done by the bretheran today.

Is it really that big of a deal to you that you called the KCBS?

We've beat this one to death is several threads. Until the board changes the rules, pellet cookers are legal. The heat source is wood in the form of pellets. Several of the competition cooks who use pellet cookers have said that they would take their meat out of the cooker if they had to relight their pit. in fact, Scottie said exactly what the KCBS executive said on the phone. Can we put this to bed now? Don't we have more important things to discuss? Like sand vs. water, beans or no beans or fat cap up or fat cap down? :biggrin:

Thanks Ron,
Water,
no beans,
up or down, depends on my mood and the cut,
(on my stickburner)

this thread is so farkin funny, you could not make this chit up ! some people really need to use the spell check mod however, now what are we going fight about in January ?:p

And some people need to use the oh chit I forgot a word button. If your gonna throw stones, make sure you put your guard up!:razz:

ok, how about a thread on qualifiers.....if there are 23 teams at a contest, and we pull 2 teams off the street, donate the meat to them, and give them a charbroil grill, should it still count as an actual contest qualifier?

Thermometers, are they just an advancement on technology?...or, just cheating because you know the temp of the meat?

Back