THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old soaker here as well at least overnight, rub with salt,black pepper and coriander seed, toasted and just crushed. No sugar.

Yum.

OK. I've soaked my Corned Beef 23 hours with 4 water changes and my pretty pink Corned beef is kind of gray. I hope that's normal.

For rub I have chosen to do a light coat of sweet hot mustard.
1/2 cup of Black Pepper coarse ground
1/4 cup Coriander
1/3 cup Garlic powder
3 TBSPs Minced Onion
2 TBSPs Paprika
1/2 tsp Chili powder

Seasoned.
Seasoned.jpg

Wrapped and back in the fridge so all the flavors get acquainted.

OK. I've soaked my Corned Beef 23 hours with 4 water changes and my pretty pink Corned beef is kind of gray. I hope that's normal.

For rub I have chosen to do a light coat of sweet hot mustard.
1/2 cup of Black Pepper coarse ground
1/4 cup Coriander
1/3 cup Garlic powder
3 TBSPs Minced Onion
2 TBSPs Paprika
1/2 tsp Chili powder

Totally normal, the outside gets kind of washed out, but the inside will look nice and pink..... And I must say your's looks like it turned out great.

There is a type of corned beef called Gray Corned Beef, and it's cured in a brine without using nitrates & nitrites. It is gray throughout, but still has the typical flavor. It's more popular on the east coast.

I always soak mine for 12 hours in cold water and then rub with mustard cracked pepper. The soak does not remove the cure just extracts some of the excess salt. I find it way too salty without the soak.

http://ique2.blogspot.com/2009/12/procrastination.html
Ditto that. Looks like a success! What's the verdict?

I have an uncooked cured point in the deep freeze I need to cook eventually. I think since it's coming up on that time of year it may be time to make another pastrami from a brisket. I was doing store bought before, but have started making my own instead of buying them. I'm still trying to get the spices perfected to go with the cure, but real happy with the results so far. I have been doing dry cures instead of brining.

Totally normal, the outside gets kind of washed out, but the inside will look nice and pink..... And I must say your's looks like it turned out great.

There is a type of corned beef called Gray Corned Beef, and it's cured in a brine without using nitrates & nitrites. It is gray throughout, but still has the typical flavor. It's more popular on the east coast.

Thanks Thirdeye! I followed your posted instructions — Cooking Method # 2 - Foil Finished in the egg. And I was happy to see the color come back.

was it worth the wait? Yes Rick it was, I only wish I had done 2 or 3!
Great flavor a little tough but when sliced thin you can't tell. Next time I'll try a pressure finish.

Thanks to all for the advice and encouragement.

Back