Paid ~1800 dollars for offset smoker, gap at pipe.. normal?

Edit....

So I had to double check and see what I truly was looking at. So it looks like there is a small gap when the exhaust and the collar meet. I thought there was a gap in the weld on the collar when first reading your post. I agree with the above comments. That gap might just disappear with use overtime if you don't plan on removing the exhaust. While the gap should be tighter and cleaner, it's pretty minor in the whole grand scheme of things. I'd cook on it and enjoy it!

Last edited:
The clamp wouldn't work if it was welded in all the way around, it needs to be able to flex, simple mechanics. weld it up and drill a hole and put in a thumb screw if it worries you that bad,reckon he could refund $1000 to help ease your pains lol

I'd run it as is, but if it bothers you that much, I'd pull the pipe out and use some Wurth exhaust assembly paste on it. Pelican Parts has it. Amazon doesn't, but they do have Holts Firegum and Liquid Moly 3342, which are similar. Cures with heat.

Every cooker I have, every cooker I've had, guessing every cooker unknown in my future----+leaked. If they didn't they'd blow up.
Pellet, charcoal, ceramic, steel, barrel, offset all leak or leaked.
Most of my food comes out edible. The only thing I think would bother me if it leaked just enough to start dripping down the side. If you plan to remove stack often sealing it with foil, ceramic cooker gasket etc. If you plan to leave the stack on, a more permanent, or less temporary method. By the time the air/smoke/heat reach the point of concern I believe it's already worked it's magic and exiting. Food should be fine I believe. 1800 is a lot of money but still about 25% of several top name brands. BTW I paid $300 for my offset. The Bride says my food is acceptable.

Bottom line, don't dismantle the car because the license plate lamp burned out.

One question that I have not saw asked is, Do you plan on removing the smoke stack to transport or any other reason?

I agree that It wouldn't matter but if it bothers you, loosen fully and fill all gaps with aluminum foil and then tighten that sucker up good and tight.

I used aluminum foil on exhaust pipe joints for a lot of years and never had a problem.

You're so far into it $$$, just pay to have someone weld it.
What you've got into it, another 10% to make you happy about it would be worth it.

It's a little sloppy but it wont affect anything. The look of sealent would probably bug me more. You'll probably not even think about it after a couple of cooks. Light 'er up or, if it REALLY bugs you, return it for a refund (if possible) and find another smoker.

Back