THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

chicagokp

Babbling Farker
We had paella again on Sunday, here are the results, recipe and pron!

Ingredients:
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
seasoning for your shrimp, I use a little Emeril’s Essence
4 boneless skinless chicken thighs, seasoned with a little kosher salt
1 pound mussels, cleaned and debearded
8-9 med garlic cloves, minced or pressed (about 3 Tbsp)
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into strips
1 red bell pepper, diced
½ pound sausage, Spanish chorizo or linguica
1 med onion, minced/grated
2 med tomatoes, minced/grated
1 med tomato diced
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups Arborio rice
½ cup white wine
½ tsp saffron threads
2 bay leaves
½ cup frozen peas
2 Tbsp minced parsley
1/2 lemon, sliced
15 inch paella pan or CI skillet

Extra virgin olive oil
Kosher Salt

Step 1 - Prep the ingredients.

The first thing I always do is prep. It takes time to get all the ingredients ready.

Untitled.jpg

More prepping, grated onion, tomato, diced tomato, diced bell pepper.

699d4374.jpg

I also measured out the stock, rice, wine, cut up the linguica and prepped the garlic.

Step 2 - prep the kettle

Prepping the Weber. I dump 1/2 a chimney of unlit in the Weber with a few chunks of cherry and spread around. Then I start about 1/2 a chimney. When the coals are ready, I dump them on the unlit coals. The first 30-45 minutes is cooked open without the lid. The remainder is cooked with the Weber lid on. You want about 350 at the grate with direct heat, if you go hotter you risk scorching. If you have hot spots, just rotate your pan through the cook.

Step 3 - cook the bell pepper strips and chicken and sausage

Heat up 2 Tbsp olive oil in the pan. Add in the strips of bell pepper skin side down until it blisters a bit, 6-7 minutes. Remove to a separate plate. Then add in the chicken and brown on each side. This will take 7-8 minutes. Remove chicken to a separate dish. Add in the sausage and cook for 4-5 minutes to render the fat. Remove the sausage to the dish with the chicken.

Step 4 - Make the soffrito

Add in additional oil if needed to have about 2 Tbsp in the pan. Add in the grated onion, diced and grated tomato, and diced bell pepper.

314255d0.jpg

After it's cooked down and started to release some moisture (4-5 minutes), add in the garlic and cook for another 3-4 minutes. When it starts to thicken and look like this....

d8b4d67a.jpg

The it's time to go to the next step.

Step 5 - Cook the rice.

Add in the rice and mix up in all the goodness in the pan. It should look like this.

5dfdcdc5.jpg

Add in the white wine, after about 1 min more of cooking, stir in the chicken, sausage, chicken stock, saffron, 1 tsp kosher salt and bay leaves. It will look like this. Cook for about 15 minutes and don't stir any more. Remember if you have hot spots, turn the pan.

38138ba4.jpg

Step 6 - Prep the seafood

Clean and season the shrimp and clean the mussels. I keep the mussels over ice in the fridge and covered with a wet paper towel until ready. Any mussels that are open in the fridge, I tap them on the counter. If they are alive, they will close. If they don't close, toss them. Wash them and remove any beards. The beard should come out easily if you pull away from the hinge.

Your paella should look close to this. I probably cooked this another 3-4 minutes before I added in the shell fish, I just don't have a good picture of it.

5a808b9f.jpg

Step 7 - Add in the shell fish

Add in the mussels, hinge down, the seasoned shrimp and the bell pepper strips. It will look like this.

66cc2136.jpg

Cook for another 10-15 minutes. At this point, the mussels should open, the shrimp should cook through. Most all of the liquid should have cooked out. You want to build the socorrat. This is the carmelized rice on the bottom of the pan. This is the part that makes you nervous. Are you burning it or getting a crust. Be patient. If your fire isn't too hot, you should be in good shape. In this 10-15 minute period, measure out the peas, chop the parsley and slice the lemon.

Step 8

When you feel like you have a good crust, remove from heat, add in the frozen peas, lemon slices and garnish with fresh parsley. Then cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. This will let everything firm up.

Step 9

If you did everything right, enjoy.

On the table...

1bb60a82.jpg

Plated

6ad59060.jpg

Enjoy!

where can one find a pan like that?

I got mine from Cost Plus World Market, but you can get on Amazon or specialty stores like Sur La Table or Williams Sonoma.

This looks identical to mine and is 25 bucks.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Myson-Authentic-Spanish-Polished-15-Inch/dp/B000FA37B4/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&qid=1341282717&sr=8-31&keywords=paella+pan"]Amazon.com: Myson Authentic Spanish Polished Steel Paella Pan, 15-Inch: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Great job on the paella and the tutorial!

Really makes me regret having a seafood allergy.

where can one find a pan like that?

A couple of other online possibilities: paellapans.com and hotpaella.com. I've been to the Hot Paella store and have been wanting one of those Pata Negra pans but as infrequently as I make paella, I can't really justify one yet.

looks very good. Make sure you use bomba rice. it makes a difference. You can easily find paella pans online. I got mine at hotpaella.com. You can also find them at tienda.com. I buy the bomba rice online at amazon.com. The Naked Wiz is a great resource for paella recipes for ceramic grills. It is one of my favorite things to make on my Primo.

looks very good. Make sure you use bomba rice. it makes a difference. You can easily find paella pans online. I got mine at hotpaella.com. You can also find them at tienda.com. I buy the bomba rice online at amazon.com. The Naked Wiz is a great resource for paella recipes for ceramic grills. It is one of my favorite things to make on my Primo.

Thanks, will have to check out Bomba.

you will dig it the most. Bomba rice can hold more liquid than just about any other rice and works perfectly for paella. Arborio rice works well but is a little too creamy. You have your technique down for sure. Paella is such a great dish.

Back