THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maybe that's it Dads... The first meatloaf I smoked was perfect. Unfortunately, I can't remember the meat I used.

Edit: it was perfectly juicy and not at all dense. The spices and flavors were a little off. I guess this is why some of you keep logs...

Ok, as I mentioned, this was a little dense and a little dry. Not too much of either, but just noticeable. So, what are your suggestions to resolve that? I tried not to over work it, bug I wanted to get the binder mixed with the meat. Maybe a little milk or some kind of liquid?

I read from one of the Weber sites to be careful when you check for doneness with smoked meatloaf. If heat is applied from bottom, probe the top 1/3rd for doneness. Stay away from hitting an internal cheese pocket etc.

Just my .02. Yours looks Great!

Dinner is served...
CF59ECC9-75E3-4FAA-8C6D-1861CD621066_zpszklz6jxl.jpg
I'll have a plate of that please sir.

Ok, as I mentioned, this was a little dense and a little dry. Not too much of either, but just noticeable. So, what are your suggestions to resolve that? I tried not to over work it, bug I wanted to get the binder mixed with the meat. Maybe a little milk or some kind of liquid?

I quickly perused Brown's recipe. I'd add another egg, 1/2 cup of buttermilk, and 4 Tbs. of oat or rice flour.

Looks good! As for the moisture, you might try using liquid seasonings. I use a 10-oz can of condensed French onion soup and Worcestershire sauce in mine. It's basically a two-fer, as you get moisture, salt and other seasonings.

Just a thought,
John

Whether you make that recipe, or a different recipe. You NEED to make a smoked meatloaf. You'll never want one out of the oven again.

Panade?

When I was in cooking school we made a milk/bread blend called a "panade.", when mixed properly into the ground meats, (mostly beef and veal), the panade coats the proteins and sets it a bit like gelatin. Not only does it give you a better texture, it also holds moisture better.

I've subbed out beef stock for milk and it works fine too, start with 5 slices of sandwich bread to 2 cups liquid, but be let it soak an hour or more, the longer it blooms the better the finished texture, and don't over work it, that also makes it tough.

Back