THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It can be hard to figure out just how much money to spend on one of these Weber grills, I mean you have to draw the line somewhere right? But also consider the length of the investment, these things last for decades. But be careful, you may find yourself wanting a Performer Gold or Platinum in the future, so maybe an OTG is a good way to start.

I think this is probably the answer that makes the most sense for me. If I start with the OTG, I'm only shelling out $49 right now, and then if (more likely when) I want a second grill, I can go for a performer gold/platinum. I'm not sure the benefits of the performer silver really warrant the extra cash right now, and if I'm going to upgrade/add on in the future, I can always go all out for one of the big boy performers...

I have the Performer Silver and I find the shelf very handy especially when I cook larger pieces of meat. It folds down when I put the grill away as well. The locking casters make the grill sturdy and I make use of the underneath storage for a few things.I think the OTG is probably the better value but over the life of the grill, the price difference looks even smaller.

If you're cooking for a few people, you may want to consider a 26" OTG. Lots of grilling real estate. If I had to buy a new OTG again, that's the way I'd go. But looking for a performer, even an SS one, on CL is always a good option.

Ask yourself this Jason. If your children are old enough to assist you, which one would be better for them to use that would also fulfil your own requirements? If they're interested in cooking that is.

That's a good point. The little man is only 2 now, so for a while the only participation he has with grilling is learning about the dangers of fire, hot grills, etc. But, he definitely does enjoy being around when I cook and "helping" :biggrin1:

I think if he starts getting into grilling with me as he grows up, I might consider a little smokey joe or something similar that would be easier for him to work with height-wise, but I hadn't really thought much about his participation in this decision (other than the fact that the performer silver table is about face-high for a two year old with a sharp steel corner... :shocked:)

... I hadn't really thought much about his participation in this decision (other than the fact that the performer silver table is about face-high for a two year old with a sharp steel corner... :shocked:)

Now that is a legitimate concern! What if YOU have to move very quickly (Flare up or something) and don't have time to check exactly where he is (If he's with you) before you react...

CL is a your friend. You can pocket the amazon cash for now or use it for something else, accessories and such.

Just to give you an idea here is list of my Weber loot from CL. I paid a total of $250 for:

Almost new Performer platinum 2010 with cover $150

Almost new Weber smokey joe 2011 used ONCE (Free)

Brand new in box 88 Weber Smokey Joe $20

Brand new in box 93 Weber Go Anywhere $20

Used but in real good shape Weber OTG with Weber charcoal chimney for $60

Back