THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Virginian

Knows what a fatty is.
My pork is schizophrenic. This year, half the time I get a high call, the other half it is down in the bottom third somewhere. I feature the money muscles on a bed of pulled. I rarely actually taste the money muscle (hereafter MM) because there is not very much of it. Since the pulled seems to me to be about the same every time, I think the difference has to be in the MM. My theory is that on the occasions when I tank it is because the MM is over cooked and a little dry.

I am going to run some tests this winter to see if I can identify an optimum temperature when the MM is both tender and super moist on a consistent basis. As a little pre-experiment research, though, I wanted to ask you all what you think the optimum temperature for the money muscle is? I take my butts off at about 203. If the optimum temp for the MM is lower, perhaps I need to cook extra butts just for the MM and take them off at a lower temp. Anyway, what's your vote for optimal MM temperature?

Brett

Brett-

That seems very high to me at least. I'd need a lightsaber to cut it at that temp, how do you do it? I'm thinking more like 190.

In Response to Dan,
I have a very sharp knife and a lot of patience. Maybe 200+ is getting carried away (but heck, I pulled my brisket at 208 this weekend and it did pretty well, so go figure). At 190, the butt is often still giving too much resistance for my taste when I test it. Maybe the answer is to pay more attention as they get closer to done so I can take them out the moment the butts give it up. I am still going to try the experiments, though. It may turn out that optimal MM temp is 180-185, in which case I am going to need more cooker space to do special butts for the MM. If only that dreaded parting rule was not there!

Brett

well, money muscles kinda tricky, 200+ im suprised you can even find that thinG!!! in all seriousness thou, my bet is 180-185 before pulling out of cooker and resting, that'd bring it to about 190-195 after the rest and should slice real nice.

We cook our butts to 205-210 internal and then slice the MM. I've gone as high as 215 before and was still able to slice the MM. It just takes patience and a really sharp knife to get slices without falling apart at those temps.

The faster you cook the higher the internal temperature needed to render. We're cooking on a UDS and get them done in 5-6 hours.

Back