THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sigpi906

Knows what a fatty is.
I have sketched up a few open comp trailer designs over the last week and finally came up with one that got some traction with my buddy.

The trailer we will be using if a bass tracker trailer. It is single axle and will be cut to an inside dimension of 5'10 x 12. Outside wheel well dimension is 7'8".

The thought process that led us to this design was pretty simple... we wanted a way to reduce the amount of "stuff" we had to set up, have a more convenience and permanent structure to work with, be able to continue using our UDS on the trailer, have room to replace UDS with something else down the road if we wanted. We have no interest in a huge pull-behind smoker.. we'd never use that much capacity.

Specifics
Tongue is 4ft long from front of trailer to hitch
Holds 20 or 40 lb propane
Large 24" tall storage box on front for non-food items, tools, charcoal, wood, etc...

*Walkway down the middle is 36" wide
Counter tops are 36" tall (should the be 40"?)
*counters are 24" wide
* Prep Counter next to sink is 58" of work space
* Finishing Counter next to grill is 69" long. (large Rubbermaid trash can underneath)
*sink was just drawn in, I am planning on just picking one up of CL when it's time
* ideally, I would like to add a tankless propane water heater under the counter
*elevated shelves are 60" high from floor, 13" wide, set back 16" from front edge of counter to allow head space and full view of counter
*room for coolers on floor under counters
Expanded metal counters
Diamond plate floors

UDS will sit freely on trailer and get strapped for travel
Weber will be bolted into place on table top
Propane burner will be welded in place

Ramps fold up for travel (duh)
10x20 Ez-Up tent with 24" leg extensions for cover (this is totally debatable) My reasoning for this would be to keep the weight/drag down for travel.

Please look it over and let me know what you see that you like and don't like. If any of y'all are using Sketch-up and want the file for a closer look or to modify, let me know.

*** Note: I am not a welder, nor an engineer, so I didn't worry about support structure too much. Just know that everything will be 1.25 or 1.5 angle on the counters... not sure about how my guy is going to reinforce the floor, I think either angle or square tube over the existing boat trailer frame to level the floor.

Attachments

• t1.JPG
    t1.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 543
  • t2.JPG
    t2.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 537
  • t3.JPG
    t3.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 539
  • t4.JPG
    t4.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 537
  • t5.JPG
    t5.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 537
Give serious consideration to weight. Everything on the trailer will add weight, to include the straps that hold the ud and bolts that hold the weber. Look at the capacity of the axle of the trailer, brakes, tongue weight, and last but not least the tires themselves. Remember, a gallon of water weights 8.34 pounds at sea level and cost money to haul.

When I did my enclosed, I even weighed the floor covering and FRP I used on the walls and ceiling as well as the insulation and screws used to hold it all together. I STILL went over weight and had to lose a few wana haves and the easy up went in the bed of the pickup. Those axles will really spring when overloaded and give a beautiful wear pattern on tires that would need replaced after each trip. Even the cooler with the meat on ice will add 100 pounds. If you don't think so, think about how hard it is to put in the bed of a truck and how much weight and how many trips you make when loading for a cookoff.

Just a few things that experience has taught!!!!

I think your tongue is too short, a longer tongue on a trailer just makes maneuvering a lot easier.

Personally, I hate shelves that are between 5' and 6' from the floor, they are head bangers. Either shorter or taller is where I go.

Are you going to create a trailing cover? I wonder how the shelves will hold up at speed, unless they are covered, won't they sort of act like wings?

Smoke, thanks for the words on weight. I haven't sat down with my welder to talk about axle and tongue weights. He is a welding instructor at a Vo Tech school here and I've seen his rig he built so I'm relying in him for that part of the build. I'll take that your advice on that and talk with him in depth about weight. Much appreciated.

Landarc, I based those shelf heights on what I work with in my shop and in my kitchen. Kitchen cabinets (mine at least) are set back 12" from the from of the counter edge and 15" from the counter top (51"). I have never bumped my head or felt like they were in the way, but I set those on the trailer further back from the edge and at eye level to me... It made sense in my head and when I set it up at my house with makeshift stuff to test it out, I'll look into it again.

As for them being a wing during travel, I'm not sure. I hadn't considered a travel cover as I didn't anticipate that being an issue. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with raised shelves... I'm more excited about that part than most others since I hate bending down to search in tubs and $hit to find what I want and I like uncluttered prep surfaces... More to look into. I appreciate it. This exactly why I posted this. Need some devil's advocates.

I am just wondering on the cost effectiveness of this. Obviously if you have a special relationship with the builder that would factor in. Otherwise, maybe buying an open utility trailer and bolting some stainless tables you could get from restaurant surplus might be a cheaper and easier idea.

You've obviously got a lot of thought into this design - the layout has you working on the trailer with room for one person. You might want to consider reversing the layout so that your work is done standing on the ground and working around the perimeter of the trailer. I work this way off 4x8 trailer with two Backwoods mounted and a WSM, fold down shelves too.

This saves you many step up/down during a competition, you're not bumping into team mates, cookers are at working height etc.

Something to consider anyway.

You may want a cover just for travel. Drag will be a big issue on fuel economy, and the stresses of wind buffeting over time might tear the shelves apart and weaken other stress points. Just a thought.

I don't trust a single axle for any trailer that requires a Class 3 hitch.

You will invariably overload the axle, and with only one tire per side, the inevitable blowout will be extremely scary, possibly resulting in a total loss of control. Add to that the see-saw effect you will feel as you move around in the trailer and limited space and I think it is worth the investment to go with a twin axle base for your project.

Agree with the weight concern. You prob have a 3500lb axle...how many lugs are there? Also might flip the open side to thr passenger side. Most camp grounds and trailers are set up to have hookups on drivers side and serving windows on pass side. Id sell the boat trailer and get a open utility and think you would be money ahead. For where you are I think you would much happier in the long run with a tandem like Civilwarbbq suggested.

You've obviously got a lot of thought into this design - the layout has you working on the trailer with room for one person. You might want to consider reversing the layout so that your work is done standing on the ground and working around the perimeter of the trailer. I work this way off 4x8 trailer with two Backwoods mounted and a WSM, fold down shelves too.

This saves you many step up/down during a competition, you're not bumping into team mates, cookers are at working height etc.

Something to consider anyway.

Any chance of posting a pic, one broken down right before heading to the contest and one with it setup at the contest? I've been thinking about something similar.

Any chance of posting a pic, one broken down right before heading to the contest and one with it setup at the contest? I've been thinking about something similar.
Sure. In my team sig, about half way down, there's a pic of the trailer with shelves folded up in Flight of the Valkyries mode.

Here's a direct link to the TATN bbq trailer picture for convenience.

Thanks guys. I'm going to get pics and specs of the trailer this week to know EXACTLY what I'm working with. I'll definitely consider changing the design to a walk around... I just got excited about having a trailer with so much space and storage that I could walk on... but in looking at it... I didn't really do anything in my design that couldn't be done from the ground working on the trailer. The only hiccup I see in that design seems to be the height issue on a top loading UDS... but I suppose that there isn't any reason I cannot get up on the trailer to work on the UDS and do the rest of the work from the ground,.... or just use the trailer to transport them and roll them off for the comp....

I appreciate all the input. I'd be lying if I told you it doesn't frustrate me to feel like I didn't put enough thought into it... but obviously, I posted it here for this reason.... so I'm going to swallow my pride, get my dimensions/weights spot on, and start over on the design process. I (reluctantly) see the benefit of a walk-around trailer as opposed to a walk-on trailer.

I second the ideas for making it where you work from the ground. My rig is setup that way and it works well, obviously not as well during rain showers, but it works well. Instead of shelves, just use tool boxes mounted under counter tops, tongue boxes and the such are great places to store extras like tools, extension cords and such. Take some ideas from the Pitmaker boys and their trailer rigs.

I have an open 16' equipment trailer that I compete with. I have 2 Yoders mounted, a 640 and 1320, 60" stainless kitchen table with 2 cambros underneath, a 72" and 24" roller cabinets and a 3 bay sink.

When I get to where I'm going, I put a 10x20 popup over the whole thing and I'm ready to rock.
I disagree with the others advocating working from the ground. There is plenty of room for 2 people to be working and keeps us off ground when it's muddy but also the blacktop when it's hot. Unlike an RV it's low enough to need only 2 easy steps to get on off which are much easier on my knees and back then it is to stand on hard/uneven/slippery terrain.

I'll get some pics and post them

Oooh we. Dissenting opinions. Looking forward to seeing Muzzlebrake's pics.

Ford, I'm working on that right now. Great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

***I am working a design in CAD right now for a walk-around, but I'm not quite ready to scrap my original walk-on plan, so if y'all have suggestions (cosmetic, design, equipment or otherwise, please feel free to add them in.

Sorry not the best pic and I can't seem to upload the others they won't attach for some reason. I'll see if I can find/get some better ones.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 75
Back