THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bottomsupbbq

Full Fledged Farker
Next year I plan on entering a few BBQ competitions in my local area. I atended my first comp. a few weeks ago and sampled ribs and pork but from most of the teams. WOW can these guy's cook!!! That said I like how my Q may potentally stack up and I am very excited to give competition Q a whirl next year. Here is my delima. I currently use a #7 kamodo to cook on at home and there isnt a chance in &$# that I am going to atempt to transport that 600 pound cooker. I only want to spend about 1200-1500 on a cooker for these events if possible. I am leaning towards buying a few WSM but would like to here from the Bretheren on how to spend my $$$ and get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks in advance to all that reply.

Renting a U-haul trailer is cheap. Like $20 a day or so. Plus about that in ratchet straps. Fortunately, I have a cousin with a toy hauler I can borrow. Now, I have no idea about the concern for cracking a Kamado. But I've loaded and hauled my 600-ish-pound Stump's a few times now. I'd take what you've got before investing the cash and time in learning to cook on something else.

yeah I have a stumps clone that I guess to weigh around 800 lbs and lucky me I have access to a trailer. So weight is no big deal. I would say that if you like and are good with the cooker, spend some money to make it more mobile (rolling cart) and rent a uhaul. kinda makes sense to me... more money for food... but also having a new cooker is a great thing, I would imput that I love my stumps clone, and build a Bid ol' one for 1000

Wsm

Sounds like the WSM is the way to go. I will most likely purchase a 18 inch first to play with before I buy multiple cookers. I am sure it will take some time to get used to but with the amount of people I see using these I cant imagine the learning curve being too long? One question I do have is does the WSM hold enough fuel to cook a Brisket or do you need to ad some to complete the cook? Looks to be bit of a pain if you need to ad water or fuel during the process. Any thoughts on this?

Sounds like the WSM is the way to go. I will most likely purchase a 18 inch first to play with before I buy multiple cookers. I am sure it will take some time to get used to but with the amount of people I see using these I cant imagine the learning curve being too long? One question I do have is does the WSM hold enough fuel to cook a Brisket or do you need to ad some to complete the cook? Looks to be bit of a pain if you need to ad water or fuel during the process. Any thoughts on this?

90% of the time a full load will cover you for a long/overnight cook.. desired cooking temp/ outdoor temp/water in pan/meat load can be the variables.

typically, when I was using the 18" WSM's, I ran them without water and could get full runs at 240-250 with a brisket or butt on each rack. If you need to add a bit of fuel it's really not that big a deal and can be done in two minutes.

not sure of the efficiency of the new 22" WSM's as I have never cooked on them yet.

Back