THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BigRedCCDually

Got rid of the matchlight.
Has any one tried modifying an Oklahoma Joe Bandera type smoker? I have read through the Bandera 101 sticky. This smoker is a real fuel hog and not too easy to control the temperature to a fine steady setting. I'm looking to add a electric heating coil in the bottom of the smoke box and use the offset firebox just for smoke and flavor with the majority of the controlled heat coming from a heating element with a temperature controller. I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done something similar and if so I would appreciate your comments and results. I have lined the firebox and bottom section of the smoker with firebrick and it has helped a little to stabilize the temperature but I still have to watch it like a hawk to avoid wide swings in temperature. I also put gasket material around the door and firebox hood to keep the smoke and heat going to the right places. Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance. If possible the Pitmaster IQ feeding air to the firebox would be nice to control temps but there is too much air leakage for that I am afraid.

Rick

What fuel are you using? Charcoal, lump, or actual wood splits?

I've tried all three, brickettes were the most consistent, lump burned fast, and splits were hard to keep a uniform temp with because as I closed off the air to lower the heat they would try to go out.

Just buy an electric smoker...not in the cards, I have too much invested in the three smokers/grills I already have, plus I like to tinker.

Thanks for the input so far.

Did you move the fire grate up to allow more air under it? I use charcoal or lamp to get things started then start adding small splits. Works pretty well.

I sealed mine up. And put gasket on the door. I use logs temp goes up and down. You just gotta practice and get the hang of it. I’d like to drill a whole in the side to fit a probe gasket. But besides that I love it.

when burning splits your looking for a range of temps. if you want 275 temps will drop to 250 when a split is needed and can go to 300 when one is added. this is completely normal with this level of stick burner.

Back