THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think Justin (Baby Back Maniac) either works for a divorce lawyer or the BBQ Pit Manufacturers Union. He keeps buying these various pits, shows a couple of pictures and a video, and we all run out and buy one. Then, either we are in the doghouse with the wife, or the unions are asking for more benefits due to more work. Shame on him.

Ooo! BBM bought what??? I need!!! :mrgreen:

Kidding. Thanks Justin!

I think Justin (Baby Back Maniac) either works for a divorce lawyer or the BBQ Pit Manufacturers Union. He keeps buying these various pits, shows a couple of pictures and a video, and we all run out and buy one. Then, either we are in the doghouse with the wife, or the unions are asking for more benefits due to more work. Shame on him.

Ooo! BBM bought what??? I need!!! :mrgreen:

Kidding. Thanks Justin!

Terry, Remember when I wanted your LSGVO? So in a weird round about way, this is your fault. ;-)

Well that really muddies the water. I had talked myself into a Bandara and then I see this.

What do you guys think this or a Bandera.

Bandera will have lil more cooking space (I think), it's firebox is kinda small so may have to cut down splits but probally same with this one. This one looks pretty Good but the cook chamber is smallish......
Both are Good Deals but this one is more $. Pretty much comes down to wether you like Verticals or Horizontals. You have to lift a lid on this one while Bandera is a cabinet door. May just have to decide which one looks better to ya. :twitch:

Last edited:
Promised I'd report back. Went all in on first cook since we were having some neighbors over. Went great!

It's hotter on the firebox side and up top, obviously, but a big foil pan with water on the charcoal grates (yes it comes with charcoal grates) in the food chamber evened the left/right (25 degree difference) everywhere except right over the intake and collected some of the grease...it also allowed me to burn bigger logs (The academy ones) and keep temps down. Hotter fire kept the fire clean the whole time.

The doors are not air tight and that bugged me and I thought I'd go back and gasket it, but after I got up to temp, it's stopped leaking smoke and I don't think I even care about the doors leaking since it was sealed at the bottom and grease wasn't leaking on the patio. It did fine on a very windy day. Also the little gap in the side gave me a place to run the probes.

18 inches is only 18 inches. That's no fun but it is what it is. i guess if I can get 6 spares on long ways with minimal trimming, it doesn't really need to be bigger for me.

Also, the exhaust is high on the cook chamber which I guess isn't ideal. Initially I thought I would mod that but a part of me thinks I might just learn to use the different temp zones.

The top rack will slide back out of the way when you aren't using it. Nice touch.

With that said, the built quality is great for 499. The metal is thicker than the Pecos and OK Joe I've been looking at. The grates are ridiculously beastly at 15.5 pounds each and completely non-stick.

It's probably too early to say "Go buy it" but I like it a lot and can't imagine a better offset cooker for that price.

Feel free to ask me any questions. Also, I may do a video on this so if you guys have any suggestions on what I should include, I'm all ears. Thx.

I love the way you went big on the first cook with six racks of ribs!!!

BBM, do you buy, test, and keep these smokers or do you eventually sell them/get rid of?

If you do keep them all, and you had to cook 2 butts, what is your go to smoker?

Bandera will have lil more cooking space (I think), it's firebox is kinda small so may have to cut down splits but probally same with this one. This one looks pretty Good but the cook chamber is smallish......
Both are Good Deals but this one is more $. Pretty much comes down to wether you like Verticals or Horizontals. You have to lift a lid on this one while Bandera is a cabinet door. May just have to decide which one looks better to ya. :twitch:

Thanks, it will be my first stick burner. I don't have experience with either kind. I will have to get to Costco this weekend to give it a closer look.

BBM, do you buy, test, and keep these smokers or do you eventually sell them/get rid of?

If you do keep them all, and you had to cook 2 butts, what is your go to smoker?

I've sold a lot of them over the years. Since I started youtube, I've held onto them a little more than usual because they give me options for videos.

If I had to cook 2 butts today, it would definitely go in the stick burner simply because that's the new one. lol.

Honestly though, it depends on my mood (how much I want to be involved) and to some extent the weather. The Summit and KJ do really well in the wind and weather. I'm hoping the stick burner will have more of a smokey flavor (I can't imagine why it wouldn't but I just haven't done a pork butt in this one yet.) I like the smokey flavor I get from the 26 kettle and the WSM though...alot less work than a stick burner. It's kind of a good middle ground.

I guess that isn't really helping, is it? lol

I've sold a lot of them over the years. Since I started youtube, I've held onto them a little more than usual because they give me options for videos.

If I had to cook 2 butts today, it would definitely go in the stick burner simply because that's the new one. lol.

Honestly though, it depends on my mood (how much I want to be involved) and to some extent the weather. The Summit and KJ do really well in the wind and weather. I'm hoping the stick burner will have more of a smokey flavor (I can't imagine why it wouldn't but I just haven't done a pork butt in this one yet.) I like the smokey flavor I get from the 26 kettle and the WSM though...alot less work than a stick burner. It's kind of a good middle ground.

I guess that isn't really helping, is it? lol

Nothing wrong with having options. Some call it hording. :heh:

How does this smoker and other off set stick burners do in cold weather? I live in Minneapolis where it can get pretty cold. Do they hold their temps as if it were 70 and sunny? Or do you have to feed the fire quite a bit more often?

How does this smoker and other off set stick burners do in cold weather? I live in Minneapolis where it can get pretty cold. Do they hold their temps as if it were 70 and sunny? Or do you have to feed the fire quite a bit more often?
I had an Oklahoma Joe Highlander that was quite a chore to keep temps up in an overnight comp one year when it was 34* and windy. I must admit that my skills with it weren't as developed then as they are now, but the thicker the steel, the easier it will be to hold heat.

My thoughts...

The smoke flavor from a stick burner is not usually stronger. It is different, smoother and maybe milder (depends on wood and how you run it) than what you get from smoldering charcoal. I prefer it, but if you are looking for intense smoke, you may be disappointed.

As for temps impacting the cook. Yes, they do, significantly. I have not used the Lang in the winter months in a long long time, but if I were to try it again I would use insulating blankets to hold the heat in and reduce the fuel burn. More fuel to keep warm is not just more work to feed, it is more airflow, more uneven heat, and more time outside freezing while feeding the fire.

18121849_10210439394515966_111667657819151197_o.jpg

For some reason at this Costco (Robinson Twp, just outside of Pittsburgh, for those who may be interested) the smoker started at only $589 and is down to $399. At the Costco near me, north of the city, it started at $679 and is only down to $499???

This is making it hard for me to not buy something I really don't need...

Wonder what it will be after the "sale" ends on 4/30 ???

18121849_10210439394515966_111667657819151197_o.jpg

For some reason at this Costco (Robinson Twp, just outside of Pittsburgh, for those who may be interested) the smoker started at only $589 and is down to $399. At the Costco near me, north of the city, it started at $679 and is only down to $499???

This is making it hard for me to not buy something I really don't need...

Wonder what it will be after the "sale" ends on 4/30 ???

Oh just son of a donkey lover!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As Stlsportster said I wonder if they price match....................I didn't want to run to Costco tomorrow..........

Back