THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the Oklahoma call..... Dannngggg, Can't wait to see all of you bad a*#'s.... Time to represent the Brethren! Good luck to all, and Drinks are on Andy! LOL

Slap Yo Daddy got an automatic entry for 7 GCs. Looks like the New Mexico contest that they thought only had 24 teams had more than 25.

Congrats to all Brethren teams that are going to the Jack and a big :thumb: for the 2 CA teams: Smitty's Smoke Patrol & Slap Yo Daddy.

I was at the IBCA contest in Albuquerque and I, along with everyone else who was at the awards ceremony for this event, witnessed the following:

* Only 5 places were called in each of the four categories
* The tickets had been removed from the turn in trays prior to the awards ceremony

I spoke to Lynn Shivers regarding these two major irregularities a few days after the contest and she confirmed the following:

* The only time less than 10 places should be called in any category is when less than 10 entries are received. That was clearly not the case at this contest.
* Tickets should never be removed from the turn in trays prior to the awards ceremony. The reason for this is so as to guarantee that the correct ticket is called for the correct tray. This is from IBCA Rule 7 - "Winning numbers will not be revealed until time to announce each place in each category. At that time the secret numbers attached to the tray/cup will be removed and announced."

Lynn stated that these two violations of IBCA protocol and their blind judging system compromised the integrity of the contest and it could not be considered a qualifier for those reasons.

Furthermore, the following disclaimer appears on the contest results page on the IBCA website: "Only the top 5 places were called as directed by the Promoter - therefore without calling out the other 5 places - the true overall results of the event are not reflected." http://www.ibcabbq.org/results2010/re100626albuq.html

If the "true overall results of the contest are not reflected", how can this contest be considered as a qualifier?

Apparently it was good enough for the folx at Jack Daniels.

Look at it this way, if Harry doesn't get the automatic, he goes into the draw with 6 wins. That makes it highly improbable that Smitty would get to go. Now Harry is going AND another California team is going because that spot wasn't taken. Harry being in doesn't hurt anyone else's chances and one of the competitors in the country gets to compete. Isn't that what the Jack is all about? Competing against the very best?

The whole thin g is messed up and someone should step up... whether that be the IBCA or the team that this went in favor of. Nothing.g should be handed to anyone. Silence is deafening.

And yeah Mista, I do have a problem. Don't matter how many GC's you have, that does not guarantee you pulling your bung for your state. So to say it doesnt hurt anyone else is false. It takes away a spot from some other team....

I certainly don't see any issue with Slap Yo Daddy being given an autoJack. Sure, the NM contest was (from what I heard) a scoring disaster. Still, 6 confirmed GC's and one GC from the screwy NM contest deserves some recognition as a qualifier to the Jack IMO.

As long as Slap Yo Daddy didnt affect the CA Jack draw, is there really an issue? It's obvious that Slap Yo Daddy is a great team and deserves to be there.

Just one dude's opinion.

The whole thin g is messed up and someone should step up... whether that be the IBCA or the team that this went in favor of. Nothing.g should be handed to anyone. Silence is deafening.

And yeah Mista, I do have a problem. Don't matter how many GC's you have, that does not guarantee you pulling your bung for your state. So to say it doesnt hurt anyone else is false. It takes away a spot from some other team....

Was there another team with 7 wins that won't get to go because Harry is going? Harry would have been in the California draw with 6 bungs instead of 1. Who's spot is he taking? And if I'm not mistaken, this is an invitational. Can't they invite who they want?

Hey I am a rookie, and I'll admit that i'm totally wet behind the ears when it comes to BBQ politics... and, of course, I certainly wasn't at that comp, but I have met and cooked with Harry and Benny of Slap Yo Daddy, they are honorable and ethical competitors, and in the media concerning the New Mexico competition, they have dealt with the situation much more graciously than I would have. They won 7 GCs ... in my book they shouldn't be penalized for the administrative blunders that arose... The Jack was spot on with that call

This isn't the first time this has happened. Darren Warth back in'06 had 7 wins. His 7th only had 24 teams. It did not count. You have to put 'qualifying' contests on your Jack application. A 23 team contest, no matter what should be put on your application. I am both questioning Slap Your Daddy or anything ethical. What is right is right. I realize what Harry. Has done for comp cooking. No more than Brent Walton out West and he didn't get a free ride from the Jack... now that is an example, but there are many more if you want me to list them. But again, its not about Harry and his team.

The IBCA website says they were 27 teams. Is this being questioned as a non qualifier because of errors on the organizers part?

Date: 6-26-10 Event: 3rd Grillin N Chillin, Albuquerque, NM
Number of Teams: 27 Head Judge: Dana
Grand Champion: Harry Soo, Slap Yo Daddy
Reserve Grand Champion: Casey Nevarez, OKC's

I was at the IBCA contest in Albuquerque and I, along with everyone else who was at the awards ceremony for this event, witnessed the following:

* Only 5 places were called in each of the four categories
* The tickets had been removed from the turn in trays prior to the awards ceremony

I spoke to Lynn Shivers regarding these two major irregularities a few days after the contest and she confirmed the following:

* The only time less than 10 places should be called in any category is when less than 10 entries are received. That was clearly not the case at this contest.
* Tickets should never be removed from the turn in trays prior to the awards ceremony. The reason for this is so as to guarantee that the correct ticket is called for the correct tray. This is from IBCA Rule 7 - "Winning numbers will not be revealed until time to announce each place in each category. At that time the secret numbers attached to the tray/cup will be removed and announced."

Lynn stated that these two violations of IBCA protocol and their blind judging system compromised the integrity of the contest and it could not be considered a qualifier for those reasons.

Furthermore, the following disclaimer appears on the contest results page on the IBCA website: "Only the top 5 places were called as directed by the Promoter - therefore without calling out the other 5 places - the true overall results of the event are not reflected." http://www.ibcabbq.org/results2010/re100626albuq.html

If the "true overall results of the contest are not reflected", how can this contest be considered as a qualifier?

I wasn't there, and have a couple of questions based on what I've heard..

Was pork an optional category for this contest? If so, was that fact known ahead of time?

How many teams were there?

I saw Lynn yesterday, but I didn't want to open that can of worms after a contest, and I suspect she'd heard enough about it at the time anyway.

This isn't the first time this has happened. Darren Warth back in'06 had 7 wins. His 7th only had 24 teams. It did not count. You have to put 'qualifying' contests on your Jack application. A 23 team contest, no matter what should be put on your application. I am both questioning Slap Your Daddy or anything ethical. What is right is right. I realize what Harry. Has done for comp cooking. No more than Brent Walton out West and he didn't get a free ride from the Jack... now that is an example, but there are many more if you want me to list them. But again, its not about Harry and his team.

So what would you have the people at Jack Daniels do? Take away Harry's automatic, take the draw away from Smitty's Smoke Patrol and redo the California Draw? How much good will do you think that would foster?

What's interesting to me is that the people who are shouting the loudest are people who aren't affected by this in anyway. I know for a fact that there is a contingent of teams in the west that are jealous of Harry's success, both as a competitor and in the media. Some don't want to compete against him because he has won so much in such a short amount of time.

Let me tell you this, I have know Harry ever since he started competing and he is one of the nicest and most gracious people you will ever meet. I am happy that he is going to the Jack and I wish him much success as he competes against some of the best teams in the world.

And Kudos to Jack Daniels for not penalizing Harry for an error by a contest promoter or rep.

Congrats to everyone who earned a bung and another congrats to those who were drawn. I think I counted at least 10 teams going this year that I'd consider very good friends - can't wait to meet even more teams down there.

Now off to Cabela's to get waders.

Looking forward to the competion, meeting new friends and fun that I have heard THE JACK to be. I just reserved a room at the Mulburry House B&B in Mulbury, TN (7 miles from town) and Ms. Candy, whoes father ran the distillary for 20 years, still has one room with a queen bed and private bath. Web site is http://www.bbonline.com/tn/mulberry/specials.html. She also operated the local buggy ride. Tell her, when you leave a message, that Mack referred you. Thanks

I wasn't there, and have a couple of questions based on what I've heard..

Was pork an optional category for this contest? If so, was that fact known ahead of time?

How many teams were there?

I saw Lynn yesterday, but I didn't want to open that can of worms after a contest, and I suspect she'd heard enough about it at the time anyway.

Jorge, the event entry form/flyer lists Pork along with Chicken, Ribs and Brisket but in no location does is state that all 4 meats are required to qualify for the event Grand Championship. We have cooked many IBCA contests that have required all 4 meats but there were also teams at the contest who had little or no IBCA experience and thought that Pork was not necessary to qualify for GC and it was clear at the cook's meeting that the IBCA Head Judge also thought Pork was not required. She referred to it as the "other meat" and wanted it turned in first followed by Chicken, Ribs and Brisket. Now, if the Head Judge is unclear, it stands to reason that teams would be unclear too. While the order of turn ins was changed to Chicken, Ribs, Pork, Brisket, it was never clearly stated at the meeting that all 4 meats were required.

Regarding teams, we did not walk around and count the actual number of teams who were on site so I cannot give you an accurate count. Nor can anyone of us give an accurate count of the number of teams that turned in all 4 meats. There was one team that turned in Chicken and then packed up and left the event and the number of teams that turned in Pork was variously reported as being between 16 and 18, further suggesting the level of confusion regarding that category.

But team count isn't really the issue here. The undisputable fact that only 5 places were called and that the tickets were off the boxes prior to the awards ceremony puts the final result of the contest into question. Think about it: If one of the tickets is called for the wrong place, it skews the end result. That's why the tickets are supposed to remain physically attached to the boxes until they are announced. Their removal corrupts the integrity of the result. Why else would IBCA have posted a disclaimer regarding the results back in June on the very page that was changed to show 27 teams instead of 24?

What we're talking about here is the integrity of the qualification process for the one of the greatest contests in competition barbeque. It has absolutely nothing to do with the individuals involved and to suggest that it does is about as shallow as it gets. The results of the Albuquerque contest were compromised. This is a fact and it is undisputable.

Congrats to all Brethren teams! I am of course hoping my buddy, JD kicks some arse.

Regarding the matter of Harry Soo making it. Their application was vetted by the only folks that matter; the officials of the Jack. By questioning the ethics of the process of that selected team does indeed take away from their glory!

On Aug. 19th, at 12:01 a.m., the following was posted on the CBBQA forum regarding the GC of the NM contest. I added the bold letters.

"What happened at that contest was a very unfortunate series of events and I think some things were said in the heat of the moment that would likely not have been said under calmer circumstances. There were many things at that contest that were mishandled by the Head Judge and the integrity of the outcome was clearly compromised by those mistakes. That is not to say that the rightful winner was not crowned that day. Quite the opposite. In fact, it took a few days for the correct RGC to also be identified and rightfully honored. Too bad that didn't also happen on site when the correction was made so that the proper GC was crowned."

The author was VisionQuest220

Thanks Ford.

I am pretty sure (not 100%) that I was the only team that resided in Ohio that was in any State's barrel/draw - that is where my confusion lies. Assuming that I was the only Ohio team in the entire draw, I was of the mindset that I would be in even if I was not picked from the Ohio barrel/draw.:confused:

Congrats Tim on making the home state draw albeit a day late. Represent the Buckeye state well! You heading to Nelsonville?

Tim, we'll see you and smokesman in Nelsonville and have a great time seeing ya'll again. We'll spend the rest of the week in Deleware, OH with Sharon's family and then move on down to Lynchburg on Wednesday and check into Ms Candy's B&B and enjoy the area and then set up at the Jack on Friday. We have booked lunch at Ms BoBo's for Friday (maybe) and then the fun begins. CU there along with Jorge and HoDeHo and other Brethern.

Everyone there deserves to be there and we should now stop questioning the logic that is Jack and just luxerate (sp) in the ambiance of the moment. We may not get to do it again and there are a lot of teams that are better but they aint going, we are. CELEBRATE the moment.

my two cents

Mack Yarbrough
Smoke'n Ice
Plano, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back