THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, there is a very high likelihood that you'll be able to park your vehicle right at your sight, depending on how much space you need and what your cook site set up is comprised of. The last two years, we've had our vehicle parked right at our site and hopefully that will happen again this year.

We were planning on having an RV at our site...but that fell through...we will now be working out of our 6x10 trailer and 2 10x10 pop-ups...business as usual...:becky:

We were planning on having an RV at our site...but that fell through...we will now be working out of our 6x10 trailer and 2 10x10 pop-ups...business as usual...:becky:

The area around the track will have lots of teams and is probably where both our teams will be this year. We also work from under 10' x 10' canopies but there will be all kinds of set ups there.

Be safe on the drive!

Actually, there is a very high likelihood that you'll be able to park your vehicle right at your sight, depending on how much space you need and what your cook site set up is comprised of. The last two years, we've had our vehicle parked right at our site and hopefully that will happen again this year.

i think they really only try and move cars over in the RV section, that are in the road... Over by the totem poll area, it doesn't really matter.

That doesn't mean that we won't be watching :mod:

As Jorge asks, please keep it civil. We will be enforcing the Brethren rules while Jorge is out on a well deserved break with his wife.

He left the keys... Don't worry... :heh:

This is a big deal but I don't know if it's a bigger deal than how Garry got screwed. But, hey, that's just me.

Depends on your perspective. I know if I were in Garry's shoes I to would be pissed beyond words but as I've said earlier it was the IBCA rep and the organizer who screwed up the works...not Harry!

I did not report this contest as a qualifier to the Jack - but Harry did - which prompted an email from the Jack to ask about it. My response to their email was - it was a State Championship but due to the controversy of the number of teams and the number of entires I didn't submit it as a qualifier.

Proper due diligence on the part of the Jack. I can't imagine this email from the Jack and the reply would have occurred after the draw was released so the Jack looked at it before and decided to accept it thus giving Harry and SYD an auto.

I have spoke with Debbie Christian from the Jack on several occassions and this matter has been discussed - therefore the decision as to whether or not Harry will be allowed to count the 7 wins will be made by the Jack.

Only after the brouhaha ensued? Hmmmm?

I'm sure the right decision will be made to preserve the integrity and tradition of the contest. If not, there may be a label change coming.

The label remake is funny but isn't it also appropriate to give Harry Soo the benefit of the doubt and indeed a little respect. The man in a very short time has become one of the top BBQ cooks in the country. He showed up to cook at a contest, the screw-up that occurred was not his fault.

This is pretty close to a 'perfect storm' event.

Your not kidding...and of course why we are all talking about it. But as others have said it IS time to move on. It is however unfortunate that politics and agendas show up even in the world of competitive BBQ. Like so many I too consider the Jack to be the ultimate and hope to one day compete amongst the best. Congratulations to everyone heading to Lynchburg this year!

Proper due diligence on the part of the Jack. I can't imagine this email from the Jack and the reply would have occurred after the draw was released so the Jack looked at it before and decided to accept it thus giving Harry and SYD an auto.

Let's see. For someone that doesn't know the process you have it all figured out. Gotta give you credit...

In reality. teams have to have all application for the draw submitted by August 31. Which meant the Jack folks had 2 days to get over 300 application checked and approved through all sanctioning bodies? I know I don't live in a perfect world, but you are asking alot for there to be no oversight on the organizers at the Jack. If you want to point fingers. Point them at the team that filled in a erroneous application in the first place. All of this would of never happened if the contest, which EVERYONE knew was not a qualifier, was submitted? Well, almost everyone...

and there isn't any politics or agendas involved, maybe some folks with blinders on. What right is right. No one gets a free ride at the Jack. No one.

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

blah lah blah blah blah

Congratulations to everyone heading to Lynchburg this year!

Finally, the most important thing buried in the end.

Congratulations to all that are heading to Lynchburg, and congratulations to all that were good enough to even be in the draw!

Good Luck!

Anyone know how you can access old interviews on Greg Rempe's site? I'm thinking that Harry said in that interview that he didn't have enough and that the New Mexico was not a qualifier... Shouldn't that put that to an end?

Long live the Jack!!!

I'm going to roll the dice here and post as a member/moderator and ask members for a favor.

The ongoing discussion/debate about the Jack draw hasn't been easy. I've talked to a lot of people to learn about the draw, what happened at a particular contest (from multiple people that were there), done research on the internet for various things, and learned a lot about what the IBCA does in the western US, etc....

My day is full tomorrow. It starts before the sun comes up, and will end close to midnight. It's full because I'm leaving for California early on Friday. The reason for the trip is to spend time with my wife and renew our wedding vows. NOTHING is going to interfere with that.

I spent time I didn't have learning what the issues were, and obtaining the facts to better moderate any discussion that might have come up. I've done my best to remain as objective and neutral as possible. The decision is in the hands of the folks in Lynchburg at this point and what happens will happen. If folks still care to discuss it then by all means do it. Just please keep it civil. The other moderators have deferred to me on this topic. As of tomorrow morning I'm done with it until I return home on Tuesday. If you want to voice your opinion, I'd keep it well within the rules. If I get a call from another moderator about this topic, and I choose to answer it, my advice will be to lock it up and end it.

The favor I'm asking is that I don't get that call.

For the folks that are traveling to cook, safe travels and best of luck. For the folks staying home, best of luck with the honey-do list and enjoy what rest you can get. For the folks fortunate enough to be in for the Jack and the Royal best of luck with all of your preperations and enjoy the magical weeks ahead of you!

Let's re-post this one again!

Bob

Harry has withdrawn his name from the Jack
This conversation should turn to all the teams that will be there

Harry Soos Blog said:
Lynn Shrivers, Head of the IBCA sanctioning body, and I have mutually resolved our miscommunication regarding the qualifying status of the New Mexico contest which we won on June 26, 2010. After careful consideration, Lynn has officially declared that contest as a non-Jack qualifier. I have accepted Lynn’s decision on this matter.
Consequently, the application I submitted for the 2010 Jack Daniels Invitational did not have the 7 GCs needed to qualify for an automatic draw. Lynn has agreed to 1) flag the June 26 results page so it is clear that the NM event was a non-qualifier, 2) establish a process to flag all future contest pages which are deemed non-qualifiers (Jack and Royal) so teams do not misinterpret these official pages, 3) develop procedures so mistakes that occurred at the NM contest can be eliminated or minimized so no team experiences such a situation in the future. These recommendations will restore my confidence in the IBCA sanctioning process. We fully intend to continue our support of the IBCA and participate in their contests.
I’ve spoken to Steve May, JD Director, and Debbie Christian, JD Organizer, to respectfully request my automatic draw application be withdrawn. They have graciously allowed me to do so. We will not be going to the Jack this year.
If you have been supporting us and following our journey the past three years, you will likely have strong emotions to learn what I have decided to do. I ask that you take a deep breath and let it go. There is no need to expend any more energy on this closed matter.
Be assured we will continue our journey forward and make best efforts to earn a spot at the Jack for 2011. Our Focus is intact, our Faith in our ability is strong, and our Fire burns undiminished. We want to wish our fellow California team Daryl Smith of Smitty’s Smoke Patrol the best of luck at the Jack in October.
See you on the trail.
Best, Harry

admin edited to insert into quote box. Phil. :)

Has anyone read Rod Gray's new Blog post on preparing to go to the Jack? He outlines everything you should do while you're there to make the most of it. I got goosebumps reading it. I am so damned excited we were lucky enough to get drawn I can barely contain myself!

Here is a link to the blog (I hope it is okay mods)

http://pelletenvy.blogspot.com/2010/09/so-its-your-first-time-to-cook-jack.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back