Objective views on cookers

Steelers252006

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi. I just recently purchased a Medium Big Green Egg, and I love the way it cooks. I am going to sell my very nice Weber Genesis and only use a kamado type cooker from here forward. The problem with my Medium Egg is it's very difficult to fit a lot of food onto it, the grid extender made for it and the Large is really only made for the large as it does not fit the Medium well, and it's very difficult to indirect cook and direct cook simultaneously if not impossible. I tried to bring this kind of subject up on the Egg Forum, which I love by the way, and I think a few fellows got a little upset with me, and so here I am.

I cooked over the weekend just eight burgers and seven hot dogs plus toasting the buns all at once, and it was just a nightmare on the Medium. I'm thinking of getting a Woo2, but I still think that would be difficult to cook on as your first grid is still going to be several inches down into the cooker, and once again the grid extender does not fit well if you wanted to go up higher with the first grid. I am thinking of either getting a, 1, Large Big Green Egg, 2, Primo Oval, Jr, or, 3, spend the money and get the big boy, XL Primo. Considering I will be cooking most often for my wife and I only, though, and the Large BGE comes with a lot of handy gadgets from ceramic grill store, I'm torn on what to do. And I don't know if the Primo's quality matches the Egg or not. There was a point I was even pondering a Big Steel Keg purchase. For the money and quality, what is everyone's opinions on the differences between these cookers I mentioned, and could my Medium Egg suffice if rigged right; and if so, how should I rig it? Also, is it more that the Large BGE matches up more with the Primo Oval, Jr. and not the XL?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I need lots of answers. I appreciate your patience in reviewing my blog, and your input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I am in a similar situation as you and have had a large BGE for about 6-7 years. I've seen the mediums and could probably do something with one, but I love the versatility of the large. I've got the spider ring and adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store and I LOVE the way it works for me. I can do a regular nightly cook for the wife & kid or I can smoke 2-6 butts, or a couple of butts and a packer brisket, or ribs, or a few chickens, etc.

I've never cooked on a Primo or Grill Dome, but I would like to have a Primo Oval in my arsenal.

If you are staying in the ceramic realm, I would suggest shopping around your area and go with who gives you the best deal and customer service. :thumb:

Hi. I just recently purchased a Medium Big Green Egg, and I love the way it cooks. I am going to sell my very nice Weber Genesis and only use a kamado type cooker from here forward. The problem with my Medium Egg is it's very difficult to fit a lot of food onto it, the grid extender made for it and the Large is really only made for the large as it does not fit the Medium well, and it's very difficult to indirect cook and direct cook simultaneously if not impossible. I tried to bring this kind of subject up on the Egg Forum, which I love by the way, and I think a few fellows got a little upset with me, and so here I am.

I cooked over the weekend just eight burgers and seven hot dogs plus toasting the buns all at once, and it was just a nightmare on the Medium. I'm thinking of getting a Woo2, but I still think that would be difficult to cook on as your first grid is still going to be several inches down into the cooker, and once again the grid extender does not fit well if you wanted to go up higher with the first grid. I am thinking of either getting a, 1, Large Big Green Egg, 2, Primo Oval, Jr, or, 3, spend the money and get the big boy, XL Primo. Considering I will be cooking most often for my wife and I only, though, and the Large BGE comes with a lot of handy gadgets from ceramic grill store, I'm torn on what to do. And I don't know if the Primo's quality matches the Egg or not. There was a point I was even pondering a Big Steel Keg purchase. For the money and quality, what is everyone's opinions on the differences between these cookers I mentioned, and could my Medium Egg suffice if rigged right; and if so, how should I rig it? Also, is it more that the Large BGE matches up more with the Primo Oval, Jr. and not the XL?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I need lots of answers. I appreciate your patience in reviewing my blog, and your input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You'll hafta do some looking in Home Depot for the clearance/closeouts of the Bubba Keg (Big Steel Keg's predecessor)... for $299. May require some driving to look into... and yes... the platesetter for the large BGE does fit nicely in the BKG.

I have two BGE Large and love them. I recently picked up a Big Steel Keg (the new Bubba Keg) and love it, too. It is cheaper than the BGE and comes with more features - and you can get a bar that allows you to carry it on a trailer hitch. Also, the two racks are very handy.

depending on how many people you are cooking for, a large should be adequate. you have probably seen some of the pictures of how much stuff i've fit on my egg before over on the bge forum.

I had two medium BGE's for a while.. I wanted another larger unit so the choice was between a L or XL.

I agree with Guy... go with the XL and you'll never second guess.

Since you already have a M, the XL compliments it best.. Otherwise, the next best combo in my opinion would be two L's.

Might be a few more toys for the L, but at the end of the day, there's a ton of grill space and the ability to handle multiple large cuts on the XL, or cook large pizzas.

You can still get a flip ring from ceramicgrillstore.com and they also sell a lump reducing ring if you want to do a smaller cook.

I was debating between the XL BGE and the XL Primo. I went with the XL Primo because I felt it was a little more versatile. You can get the firebox divider for small cooks. I like the oval shape for laying ribs out flat. I only had my XL for a few weeks now but I love it. With the firebox divider, you can load the one side up with charcoal and do indirect on the other without any D plates or deflector. Hope this helps a little.

IMO, Kamado's are not about cooking huge amounts of food at once. They are for cooking substantial amounts of food extremely well and efficiently.
Why not use one of those big Ranch Size Kettles for big cooks?

I have the Primo Oval XL and love it. A good friend was trying to talk me into getting the BGE (he has one and loves it) but I was drawn to to the extra space and the versatility of the Primo.
Just to show how messed up I am, I now want to to either get a smaller Primo or a small BGE to keep the Primo and the FEC100 company....this is a disease and I love it:crazy:

My wife just got the BGE XL and I'm thinking it may be too big, or else I need to start hosting some events!

I have a Primo Xl and love it, but since you already have a med egg, I would likely go with the XL egg - use each one to their strengths

Just get an extra large BGE and your problems will be solved.

I would tend to agree. Unless you plan to move the thing around.

Sorta like what they say about motorboats: I've never heard anybody ever complain that their boat has too much horsepower (and yet the opposite issue is often the subject of many conversations) :p

Back