THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sparky'

Full Fledged Farker
welp, this was 1st stop.
photobucket-1348-1346732302866.jpg

they had some music going. sounded like bob seger.
photobucket-2561-1346732122448.jpg

photobucket-4782-1346732553335.jpg

thats a big cooker.
photobucket-2353-1346733061542.jpg

thats a pile of turkey legs.
photobucket-4566-1346732214467.jpg

photobucket-1439-1346732660257.jpg

photobucket-1282-1346732606563.jpg

me: oh dear, i think i need another one.
dear: fine. its the last one. two is your limit mister.
photobucket-1348-1346732302866.jpg

so we ate at 5 places. ribs and butt sandwich here.
photobucket-4721-1346732503313.jpg

ok. well, this was the worst butt i have ever had. it tasted like they boiled it then ran it threw a salamander and put some diluted sauce on it. two bites each from me and my wife and then we threw it out.
the ribs we tried from 5 different places. my wife wanted to see how my ribs were compared to everyone elses. places gave you 3 or 4 bones for one serving costing $9 - $10.
photobucket-4018-1346732457058.jpg

oh my god. these ones were the worse. one bite and in the trash. really bad. out of the 5 places 2 of them didn't pull the membrane off the back. everyone had the ribs already cooked and grilling them and slopping the sauce on. some sauces were better than others. all in all a real disappointment. i realized that my ribs were way better than anything i ate at this rib fest and the one in stockton. now i know that these ppl were making alot of ribs. come on ppl. take some pride and make them taste good. how could you possible serve a product so damn icky. on the way back the the car my wife squeeze my hand and gave me a kiss. she said my ribs were way better than anything she tasted. and, she said that i could get myself some new weber fish spatula i've been wanting.
side note. took us 2 hours to get there. on the way the the rib fest traffic was backed up the other way. so when we left we were going back over tahoe and back down to 50. well, everyone else had the same idea. 6 hour drive home. guess whos idea it was to go that way. not mine. so when we got back to town my wife took me for steak and lobster for her goof. it was the best part of the day. ribeye, maine lobster and 2 milks at rudy's. perfect day w/ the wife.

welp, this was 1st stop.

they had some music going. sounded like bob seger.

thats a big cooker.

thats a pile of turkey legs.

me: oh dear, i think i need another one.
dear: fine. its the last one. two is your limit mister.

so we ate at 5 places. ribs and butt sandwich here.

ok. well, this was the worst butt i have ever had. it tasted like they boiled it then ran it threw a salamander and put some diluted sauce on it. two bites each from me and my wife and then we threw it out.
the ribs we tried from 5 different places. my wife wanted to see how my ribs were compared to everyone elses. places gave you 3 or 4 bones for one serving costing $9 - $10.
photobucket-4018-1346732457058.jpg

oh my god. these ones were the worse. one bite and in the trash. really bad. out of the 5 places 2 of them didn't pull the membrane off the back. everyone had the ribs already cooked and grilling them and slopping the sauce on. some sauces were better than others. all in all a real disappointment. i realized that my ribs were way better than anything i ate at this rib fest and the one in stockton. now i know that these ppl were making alot of ribs. come on ppl. take some pride and make them taste good. how could you possible serve a product so damn icky. on the way back the the car my wife squeeze my hand and gave me a kiss. she said my ribs were way better than anything she tasted. and, she said that i could get myself some new weber fish spatula i've been wanting.
side note. took us 2 hours to get there. on the way the the rib fest traffic was backed up the other way. so when we left we were going back over tahoe and back down to 50. well, everyone else had the same idea. 6 hour drive home. guess whos idea it was to go that way. not mine. so when we got back to town my wife took me for steak and lobster for her goof. it was the best part of the day. ribeye, maine lobster and 2 milks at rudy's. perfect day w/ the wife.

The ribs in your picture are from Memphis BBQ company and were the absolute worst ribs ive ever eaten at the Best in the West Rib cookoff that ive been attending for many, many years. While I agree you can probably do better ribs at home there were some pretty good offerings there. Chicago BBQ company that won the judges award were great. Texas Thunder were pretty damned good and Bone Daddys were solid. All the samplers I had were $7. Im glad I didn't run into any of the $9 or $10 ones you mentioned.

PS. The traffic wasn't from the rib cookoff it was from the 70,000 people heading out of the black rock desert after Burning Man. It was brutal.

This is what you faced going home on Labor Day. http://bit.ly/Tp5HnH. That traffic climbs westbound over Donner Summit miles ahead and I'm sure crawled for hours. Looks the same on any Sunday during snow season.

From what sparky' and Cahusky wrote and pr0n-ed, I'm glad that I stayed home this year. I'm new at the Q. I thought that I needed to go to have something to look up to. Kind of like visiting the promised land of BBQ, or something, with some 24 or 26 BBQ companies there. Well, am I ever skewed in my thinking. I can't decide if the ribs or pulled pork look worse. It's close.

Well, I'll just continue my education here. Even disasters here look better than those ribs.

You should have visited "Butch's Smack Your Lips BBQ" you would not have been disappointed with the food. I always buy their ribs, usually always the peoples choice award, but can't win them all.

You should have visited "Butch's Smack Your Lips BBQ" you would not have been disappointed with the food. I always buy their ribs, usually always the peoples choice award, but can't win them all.

Agreed, im a big fan of Butch's rubs. I always have some in stock. The ribs i had from them were a little overcooked but really good as always.

This is what you faced going home on Labor Day. http://bit.ly/Tp5HnH. That traffic climbs westbound over Donner Summit miles ahead and I'm sure crawled for hours. Looks the same on any Sunday during snow season.

From what sparky' and Cahusky wrote and pr0n-ed, I'm glad that I stayed home this year. I'm new at the Q. I thought that I needed to go to have something to look up to. Kind of like visiting the promised land of BBQ, or something, with some 24 or 26 BBQ companies there. Well, am I ever skewed in my thinking. I can't decide if the ribs or pulled pork look worse. It's close.

Well, I'll just continue my education here. Even disasters here look better than those ribs.

Good to see another North Lake Tahoe resident amongst the brethren!

Back