Nub from Toronto

Spidleman

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Greetings Brethren,

I currently live in a small condo in Toronto and, sadly, BBQ is not allowed on my balcony. On the bright side, I'm moving to a more rural area in a few weeks and I'm looking forward outdoor cooking again (especially smoking).

I currently own almost nothing BBQ related so it's somewhat exciting that I can "start fresh" so to speak will all new gear. I've been spending quite a bit of time researching what to get and I've pretty much narrowed it down to a primary BBQ grill unit and a vertical smoker. But there's so much other gear I'll need. If there's a comprehensive list of all basic equipment needed, please point me there, as I will most definitely be forgetting something.

For the smoker, it seems many here recommend a UDS, which I may do eventually (after I build a workshop), but for the time being, I am largely settled on the WSM 22.5".

For the BBQ grill, I'm currently leaning heavily toward the Napoleon Prestige Pro series and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience or advice to share. The Napoleon and Weber seem to be comparable in most respects, but Napoleon has a longer warranty which would be useful for me where the Canadian winters are harder on the equipment.

What's troubling me though is the Prestige Pro500 costs substantially less than the Pro665, but the specifications do not seem to warrant the price variance; I'm very curious if there is a reason that is not so obvious (if anyone is familiar with these, please explain).

Anyway, I'm moving in 1 month's time and I'm already salivating at the prospect of smoking everything whenever I want (you'd be this excited too if you had lost access to your Q for 10 years).

To give you an idea of where my culinary interests lie, my "to-do" list is:

1) break in the WSM with some ribs and wings the night I move in (I won't even have furniture in the house yet, but I'll be grilling!)

2) 3-bone prime rib (cradled) x2 (12-15lbs) on moving day (you gotta feed the friends that help you move am I right? And I have some big friends;)

3) get the BBQ grill (natural gas) connected and grill up some Chicago style steaks.

Hopefully I'll meet some of you on the forums sometime.

Cheers,

:clap: :clap2: :welcome: :clap2: :cheer2: :clap:
inea0y.gif
:clap: :cheer2: :clap2: :welcome: :clap2: :clap:​

Welcome to the forum Spidleman, glad to have you join us and take part in the other forums here.

I hope to see you in the "Q-Talk" forum soon. You'll find help on almost every topic from cooking your first Pork Butt to curing and smoking your own ham and bacon.

If you can't find the topic you need help with, or have questions about, just start a new thread in "Q-Talk". There are many people with years of experience that are willing to answer your questions and guide you in the right direction.

We have many other different forums here...
For those who are interested in competing, We have a "Competition" talk forum.

We also have a "Catering, Food Handling and Awareness" and "Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses". We also have a trading forum where members can trade sauces and rubs from different areas around our country.

Welcome to the Brethren! Sounds like ya got a great plan! Wish some of the people I've moved over the years thought like you! Most I ever got was some cheap beer and a pizza!

Welcome. When I was looking for equipment I found a great site. I hope I'm not breaking any rules here, but check out www.Amazingribs.com
There is an entire section on every piece of equipment and review you can name!

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you have a great plan going. Good luck to ya!

Back