THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aimcat

Knows what a fatty is.
So my husband and I have a pitboss pellet smoker that we have had so many issues from. Its out of warranty now and now the augers is not working. We also have a old country Pecos offset smoker, and a weber kettle. Kinda wanting another smoker to take the pellet smokers place until we fix this one or get a much better one. Looking at the 300 or so price point of these:
Akorn kamado
Pit barrel (seems like a rib only cooker)
Weber smoky mountain (22) we had this before
Or the Oklahoma Joe bronco barrel

Which would be a good choice? Thanks in advance!!

Why did you get rid of the WSM 22? It can function like the PBC or the OKJ Barrel so if you weren't happy with it then you might try the Akorn. I saw a OKJ Bronco at a local store the other day for $96 so I would pick that out of the bunch though.

The Acorn doesn’t have a lot of capacity and since you have the kettle there isn’t a need to have something that can grill.

I don’t think I’d look at the PBC as a rib only cooker, in fact I’ve read the most positive things about how it handles chicken. I think that Weber or either of the barrel choices would make for a good, easy to use, smoker.

I was saying is the PBC just a rib cooker? We got rid of the wsm for the pellet smoker. What store did you see the bronco in for 96?!

Only issue with a barrel like my PBC is horizontal space for things like moink balls or poppers. Fish, etc

But I’ve hung ribs, chicken, and brisket. Never hung butts but I know people that do. I fit 2 ten lb butts on there before and that’s max capacity.

PBC is set and forget and puts out great food.

Only issue with a barrel like my PBC is horizontal space for things like moink balls or poppers. Fish, etc

But I’ve hung ribs, chicken, and brisket. Never hung butts but I know people that do. I fit 2 ten lb butts on there before and that’s max capacity.

One of the mods on amazing ribs has a PBC, and he put up pics of him stuffing like 5 pork butts in it. He used another grate on top of the butts to add a few more. Can't find the pics, as they have deleted old comments on their PBC review.

I’ve suspended a rack under the top rack one time when I made cheese and hung a pan of ice below.

It was klugy but I know it would be easy to install another set of pegs.

I have to agree with Stlsportster that you are limited to the horizontal space but the PBC also is very versatile with some of the accessories like a split grate that you hang food like ribs or chicken and still have the other side of the grate for maybe a side dish like macaroni and cheese. You buy optional hangers and do 2 turkeys without the grate in the cooker.
I guess it depends how much food you need to cook. For my family of 5 it great. Maybe check out a local dealer.

I replied to post a while ago very similar to this one. If I had to pick ONE smoker, it would be the WSM all day long. Use it as a drum, use it as a water smoker, use it to hang your food. It's just versatile and does everything very well.

Not knocking the others you mentioned. They are all great cookers, just not as versatile with as much capacity. Quality of food is the same on all in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Back