THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mrkkti

Knows what a fatty is.
...been reading a lot of the posts here, great stuff. I haven't used my smoker/grill yet (new to that too, I did post an introduction in the Cattle Call forum), but I was wonder, brining....what stuff do you brine, what don't you brine. Read about someone brining butts. One response said they only b rine poultry. Well, I was thinking my first attemp at Q'ing would be either ribs, chicken, game hens, or all of thee above. Wasn't even considering brining the chicken; was just going to use a rub....is that a bad thing?

Some brine chicken. Some brine turkey (fresh -- the regular commercial stuff like Butterball is already injected/brined).

A recent discussion ensued about brining pork butt.

I'm trying out brined ribs today.

Look up recipes and give it a go. Heck, it's your food - do what you want!!

If it's nasty -- bury it in the yard and nobody will know unless you tell 'em or I show up with my Bobcat! :D

DFLittle said:
...Heck, it's your food - do what you want!!

If it's nasty -- bury it in the yard and nobody will know unless you tell 'em or I show up with my Bobcat! :D

Yea! you're right! It is my food, damn-it!

Aahhmmm, don't think the wife would like the bobcat tearing up the backyard however :wink:

Don't listen too much to DF when it comes to burying stuff. I think he's part gopher or something.

Lots of people brine birds, some I learned this week brine a butt.

Me, never. I watch the sodium, so I just like to marinade and rub.

turkeys and chickens brine great.. I have a few brines posted in the receipe sections for poultry.

Salmon brines up nice too.. takes about 2-3 hours.

I used to brine butts in apple juice and herbs. makes a difference, but not worth the bother.

never brined ribs....interesting concept.

I brine my butts!! Two days in water with enough sea or kosher salt to float an egg. Then I add sugar, vinegar, Worchestershire sauce and whatever spices strike me at the moment.

Mista

A good brine soak will generally always improve any good large chunk of meat. It saturates it with water and makes for a jucier finished product. If you smoke a turkey that is already injected, like a butterball, then they are already brined. It is one of Butterballs secrets for a juicy bird. Any more brine will not improve their flavor. Be sure that you keep the meat cool when you brine it or you will cause a run on the local bathrooms.

Good point Wayne! I always brine in the fridge. If you don't have the room in the fridge, use a cooler and add plenty of ice. I believe that you want the brining done below 40 degrees.

Back