THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drew71646

Got rid of the matchlight.
I am brand new to the world of competition bbq. Actually taking my first KCBS judges class this weekend. I'm fixing to dive into the competition scene this spring and are currently gathering equipment. I currently have a Traeger Texas grill and a offset smoker on a trailer for home use. Looking at buying a Myron Mixon 60 H2O and a Traeger XL to get started. My question to the group is:

For competition use, do you have an enclosed trailer(car hauler)that you roll your grills on and off or do you utilize a custom designed open trailer with all your grills, sinks, etc. mounted on it?

Enclosed or enclosed w porch. I wouldn't even consider a open trailer setup that you described. No way to get out of the rain or heat.

Very good points. I was extremely nervous about an open trailer with the electronics on the Traeger.

We use a toy hauler and pull our cookers out on the ramp. The ramp is supported by jacks.

You can use an open trailer, but you'll want an Ez-up or similar to cover things in case of rain, and at some comps, the rare sun :-D

Start slow, use what you have. I competed with a basic utility trailer and my Tahoe for about 4 years now. But I was only doing like 3 comps a year. See if you really like it before you dump $10k+ on new smokers and trailers. Walk around and look at everyone's setup and slowly start working up to it. You'll appreciate it more!

But if money is no object go buy a badass porch trailer and a new 3500 Denali lol

I have an enclosed porch trailer and I feel it makes a big difference with me. It cuts set up and breakdown time tremendously and is great for getting out of the heat or rain. I did Atlantic City last year and we have the reminants of Hurricane Matthew, had I not had a trailer it would have been hell. 7 teams with EZ Ups left the morning of turn ins. If you're looking at pellet smokers, look into Rec Tec, excellent quality and customer service. I started comps in 2015 with one Rec Tec. Contact Ben Lesshafft
General Manager
REC TEC Grills
(855)696-0890 (office)
(706)627-1331 (cell)
[email protected]

The MMS 60 is a beast and you need a good water supply. I was looking at the MMS 48 but decided on the V33 (now G3) gravity feed. Great capacity and easy to run. Comes in handy when I vend. I also bring my Rec Tec Mini along. You can easily do a comp on a Rec TEc RT-680 and a Rec Tec Mini. God Luck and welcome to the madness!

I started last year with our family toyhauler or I went light and just set up a pop up, an old Treager, and old offset, and an UDS. later I went to a different toy hauler that was more suited to putting on more miles and built a insulated cabinet. This year all drums and I am converting my trailer to a porch trailer with small living quarters in front for the family. My point is, when starting out, I had no idea what I needed or wanted. Don't spend a bunch of money until you get some experience and can figure out how you want to set up. Also the single most useful thing that got me to cooking better food faster was judging a few comps. I got to taste some great food and had targets and flavor profiles in mind that I could try to recreate.

I am brand new to the world of competition bbq. Actually taking my first KCBS judges class this weekend. I'm fixing to dive into the competition scene this spring and are currently gathering equipment. I currently have a Traeger Texas grill and a offset smoker on a trailer for home use. Looking at buying a Myron Mixon 60 H2O and a Traeger XL to get started. My question to the group is:

For competition use, do you have an enclosed trailer(car hauler)that you roll your grills on and off or do you utilize a custom designed open trailer with all your grills, sinks, etc. mounted on it?

I have an enclosed porch trailer and I feel it makes a big difference with me. It cuts set up and breakdown time tremendously and is great for getting out of the heat or rain. I did Atlantic City last year and we have the reminants of Hurricane Matthew, had I not had a trailer it would have been hell. 7 teams with EZ Ups left the morning of turn ins. If you're looking at pellet smokers, look into Rec Tec, excellent quality and customer service. I started comps in 2015 with one Rec Tec. Contact Ben Lesshafft
General Manager
REC TEC Grills
(855)696-0890 (office)
(706)627-1331 (cell)
[email protected]

The MMS 60 is a beast and you need a good water supply. I was looking at the MMS 48 but decided on the V33 (now G3) gravity feed. Great capacity and easy to run. Comes in handy when I vend. I also bring my Rec Tec Mini along. You can easily do a comp on a Rec TEc RT-680 and a Rec Tec Mini. God Luck and welcome to the madness!

You folks in the NE have the best EZ-Up races, consistently!

General Manager
REC TEC Grills
(855)696-0890 (office)
(706)627-1331 (cell)
[email protected]

I was there as well. I have a porch trailer and it was worth every penny I paid for it just for that weekend.

Back