Shirley Fabrication, Mixon H2O, or?

Mismith

Name or Nickame
Michael
Hey everyone, we are looking at upgrading to a larger stick burner. We’ve been to Myron’s cook school so I’ve seen the H2O run and eaten product from them.

It was very good and they are quality built but aren’t cheap. We are looking at minimum the 48” but preferably the 60”.

I’ve seen all the praise for the Shirley Fab. cookers too. I think their 24x60 trailer model, straight back, and cabinet doors is about perfect too. Not sure we would ever use a warmer box though...

The Mixon will not be very mobile. I’d have to load and trailer it which could be a hassle on the few occasions we would haul it.

I contacted Tyler and right now there’s a 32 month wait!:shock:Yikes!

What’s your guys real world experience with both? What’s your suggestion?

On occasion we may cook a whole hog around 100lbs.

I have a Shirley 24x36 and the quality is First Class all the way. It is all I'll ever need.
I've seen plenty of Paul's videos about the larger trailer models and am always impressed with how they design a Trailer for the Cooker and don't just take a stock trailer and drop a Cooker into it. They way the integrate all the options, SS Shelves, etc. would be hard match with another builder.
I'd go Shirley, work out the price and details with Tyler, pay the deposit, and, as the old Gospel song says "Get In Line Brother........." You'll be happy you did.

PS: Shirleys come up for Sale here too, its just a matter of options, location, etc. and whether it would fit your needs.

You should look at Lonestar Grillz. The owner of Shirley has personally said on this forum that if he didn't build pits, he would buy one from LSG. They are one of the best in TX.

Unless something has changed recently I know Myron will put any of his smokers on a trailer for you...of course it will cost extra. Shirley has an incredible reputation but a 3 year wait time is insane in my opinion.

As others have said smokers come up for sale all the time here, and there's quite a few Facebook groups which are strictly for buying / selling smokers. Some are junk but there's still plenty of quality smokers being listed all the time.

You might also want to check out Johnson Smokers (www.johnsonsmokers.com). Chad Johnson makes some high quality pits and their wait times are more reasonable than Shirley, and their costs are lower than Myron.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Back