New wrap method for brisket

ummm...not sure if serious
yes, serious haha! 15 minutes too long once you’re close to finishing can turn your brisket into cat food. I really like the no wrap method because you can check the entire flat quickly to measure doneness. This gives you the best of both methods.

so first of all why not just poke through the paper?

also try and focus on the thickest part of the flat, the rest will follow. wrapped or not ill pick up the brisket and judge doneness by the amount of give. it's a good secondary indicator to the probe test

so first of all why not just poke through the paper?

also try and focus on the thickest part of the flat, the rest will follow. wrapped or not ill pick up the brisket and judge doneness by the amount of give. it's a good secondary indicator to the probe test

The paper tugs at the probe just enough to make me second guess it. Plus, your limited to one spot. I’ve cooked 20 briskets in the last three months and the flat has finished at different temps and at different spots faster regardless of thickness. My logic is once 85% of the flat is finished, it’s time to pull it so I don’t over cook the majority of the brisket. I can live with 15% being a bit undercooked, but usually the carryover minimizes that. This big window or cut out in the butcher paper gives me the access to evaluate that.

Also, when it’s wrapped in butcher paper it’s not as easy to judge tenderness by feel alone or how much give it has, at least not for me.

Why not just put a temp probe in to begin with, pull and wrap when the thickest part of the flat is around 190°F, and rest in the oven or turkey cooker at 150°F for 10 or 12 hours? Then there's no need for test probing at all.

Why not just put a temp probe in to begin with, pull and wrap when the thickest part of the flat is around 190°F, and rest in the oven or turkey cooker at 150°F for 10 or 12 hours? Then there's no need for test probing at all.

Too many variables that way as your relying on one temp in one spot of a whole brisket and carryover cooking (that you can’t control or adjust) to finish it. It works and I’ve done it that way, but get inconsistent results since every brisket is different. I prefer to cook to where exactly I want it, then let it cool to 140 before resting it in a 140 degree warmer.

This is what I do, works great every time. But now I have to look into whatever a turkey cooker is and if I can use it for resting.

Kuddos for trying something new. It's only by experiences like this that you will develop your own technique that works for you and your cooking rig.

I must ask,....who is eating all that brisket?

Kuddos for trying something new. It's only by experiences like this that you will develop your own technique that works for you and your cooking rig.

I must ask,....who is eating all that brisket?

Thank you. I've feed a lot of neighbors and family with those briskets. I think I only had leftover a few times. I've meet a lot of new neighbors in the process too, so that has been very nice.

I've been cutting a "T" slit for that purpose, poking through the paper alters my perception of tenderness.

That's even a better idea, thanks.

I cooked a bunch of no wrap briskets and got so used to that unrestricted feel, so once I switched to bp it was just messing with me, especially at the end of a long cook when I was trying to keep the chamber door closed as much as possible. I know it's a little overkill, but it worked so well - I can check 5 spots in the flat for tenderness in less than 30 seconds.

I am sure this works great for SkaterSmoker on his smoker, however, I am surprised that most of the steam and heat does not escape?

I am sure this works great for SkaterSmoker on his smoker, however, I am surprised that most of the steam and heat does not escape?

The flap pretty much seals right back up when pushing back in with all the moisture and layers of paper.

That's great you figured out what works for you as there are many methods. I watch Chud a lot and just between him, Jurby and Jermey there seems to be a bit of tension between them due to different methods. I am sure I would like any of them. Thanks for sharing

That's great you figured out what works for you as there are many methods. I watch Chud a lot and just between him, Jurby and Jermey there seems to be a bit of tension between them due to different methods. I am sure I would like any of them. Thanks for sharing

It's funny, my wife and my brothers prefer the no wrap briskets, while I like the butcher paper ones just a little bit more. I'll probably do the no wrap method most of the time just because that's what my guests prefer. I do admit that crunchier bark is quite tasty.

I poke a hole with my probe and give it a couple wiggles. That works for me. Small slits with a knife works too. But if another method works, who am I to doubt it?

No offense but when I look at the flap all I see is those old long John's with the butt flap in them. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Back