THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

huskerfan1200

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Todd
Picked this up this weekend. Been wanting a stick burner for a while now and this came up on CL. Used tax return money. Been using my UDS for a long time now and wanted to move to the stick burner. Will be a learning curve for sure but I've got all summer.

Horizon off-set. 44" x 22" cook chamber. 22" x 22" fire box. 1/4" rolled steel throughout. ~650# total. Virtually no rust. Well seasoned.

First question of many to the Brethen...since it is so heavy (and large), moving in/out of garage for cooks isn't really the best option. Can this be covered and stored outside? I don't really have an overhang to put it under. Would just be next to house or garage. I'll be looking into covers later today but would like some input from others. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20210523_095644.jpg
    20210523_095644.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 244
  • 20210523_095634.jpg
    20210523_095634.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 20210523_095620.jpg
    20210523_095620.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 241
  • 20210523_095611.jpg
    20210523_095611.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 238
Nice pickup. Looks to be in great shape. You can store it outside covered or uncovered. Uncovered oil the outside periodically. Or I know Horizon used to make a cover for these. Check their website they offer some accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That thing is a tank,,,not a Sherman tank ,,,but 650# of steel
Solid piece of iron,,,,
I don’t think any kind of weather would bother it,,,,
Covers sometime lend to no air flow and trap moisture ,,,

I think the reason it looks so nice is it was covered or kept under shelter. I would lean towards continuing that and getting a cover. Even and inexpensive tarp and bungee cords would work. Nice score and hope to see some of your cooks soon.

I cover mine loosely vents open during postal weather, pretty much uncovered the remaining. Nothing 100% though. Keeping moisture out is one thing but trapping moisture in creates science projects

Congratulations on your cooker

I cover mine loosely vents open during postal weather, pretty much uncovered the remaining. Nothing 100% though. Keeping moisture out is one thing but trapping moisture in creates science projects

Congratulations on your cooker

Thanks all. Looking forward to using this.

This is what I'll probably do.

If you put it outside, it is going to surface rust. Coat it occasionally with cooking spray and light a fire, it'll season like cast iron. Or keep painting it with stove paint. Trick is to stay ahead of it.

Thanks for all the advice. I've got some options to consider for sure.

What little rust spots exist are on the firebox and right now are very small.

Would it make sense to use high temp paint on the firebox side as needed and then spray the cook chamber with oil and season like cast iron as needed? I'm wondering about the high temp paint adhering to an oiled/seasoned surface.

Either way, I think I will get a cover of some type for it and loosely cover, especially when the weather demands it. As 16Adams said, I don't want to trap moisture in there either.

I sent an email to Horizon asking about this model and their thoughts on this question. The covers they sell we're all out of stock for now.

Back