THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any advice out there from some of you experienced guys for someone who is looking to buy a new smoker?

Would you be willing to share your experiences with (example...) make, model, plusses, minuses with the model. How is the company to work with? Recommend options?

I'm looking for a smoker that would handle to minimum 4 whole racks of baby backs (not having to cut then down to fit), or st. Louise style ribs, and maybe a butt or two, with one or two briskets.

I know this is allot to ask for but any information is welcome!

Michael scheiman

Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) or Upright/Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS)

At the bottom of each page is a search bar that searches within BBQ Brethren - any smokers you are curious about just search it and you will probally find a few threads about them.

Sitting at my desk at work so I will keep this short. I have looked at the Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker. Does anyone have one of these and is willing to chime in on how well it works. How are the Lone Star people to work with? Are they honest people to work with, even if a problem arises with their sold equipment?

I am a bit amazed at all the folks that have been willing to chime in with advice! It's sooo very much appreciated! I am a bit overwhelmed with all the different items to look at. However, I will say that I have looked at each posting and message sent, and if you are not hearing from me right away it's not because I have not noted your info.

Cheers!
Michael

I'll vouch on the customer service SF has, I have an offset on order from them and Paul is very professional and polite. His prices are very fair, and although I don't have one yet, everyone who does says the craftsmanship is dead on perfection. I can't wait for the end of February for my smoker.

End of Febuary! Nice. I have one ordered also. My date is the beginning of May.I don't know how I am going to wait. I agree,I did a lot of research and found only very high praise for Paul and his smokers. You should call Paul and talk to him. He will steer you in the right direction. Good luck.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Budget, around $2000.00. Less would be best, but for the right smoker, I could go a tad higher.

The type of cooking: smoking ribs, butts, chicken, sausages, brisket, salmon/fish, for 15 to 50 people (+ or -).

I have been using a lg. and extra lg. BGE for about 10 years now. Often it takes me 3 sessions in the eggs to get things done. I figured putting more (everything) onto one larger grill would make things easier. I like charcoal, and want to stay with that, so not looking at pellet fuel.

The type, offset (stick burner), vertical, reverse flow. I was hoping to get your point of view on what would be best suited to get the job done. Easy, set and forget, steady temps is a BIG Plus!

Obviously I'm a rookie, and I need your help to even post enough info for your help. I can add more as requested! :grin:

Michael

Sounds like you need an insulated cabinet smoker. Something like a Backwoods, Stumps, etc. Your big decision is whether you want to go gravity feed like a Stumps, or charcoal basket like a Backwoods. There are a few different brands that do each style. They're right smack in your price range to do the size of cooks you want to do.

Happy Humphrey's Qubed Box owner here.

I looked at the Backyard Bombers too but was not impressed with the build quality and decided on the Humphrey's.

Happy Humphrey's Qubed Box owner here.

I looked at the Backyard Bombers too but was not impressed with the build quality and decided on the Humphrey's.
I had the same concerns so I sent Josh a couple of emails and ended up calling him. He apologized for the pictures on his site. He has addressed the crooked gasket issue by switching to tadpole gaskets and they should be much nicer looking. They are screwed down instead of being glued. He also paints the trim that is blocked by the door gasket during powder coating so you will not see the bare metal when the doors are open. His main concern is keeping the paint out of the cooking chamber during powder coating. They have also cleaned up the welds. Very nice guy. He responded to my emails and answered all my concerns over the phone. I also like how they are welded instead of screwed together like a BWS. Nothing against the BWS but the ones I saw had paint inside the cooking chamber. I am sure it is harmless but it was not what I was expecting.

I looked at a couple of threads about the LoneStar Line, and I really like the look, price range, size of their vertical smoker.

Michael
LG BGE
XL BGE

I have been compiling a spreadsheet with details on insulated cabinet smokers $2,000 and under. PM me and I will email it to you if you are interested. Maybe seeing all the specs, side by side will help you. I also have set my budget at $2,000. It was originally $1,000 but that wasn't enough to get what I really needed...um...wanted.

I bought the Lang 36 hybrid deluxe I have cooked 9 slabs of baby backs ribs with out any trim or racks it will cook 4 10 lb buts and 2 16 lb briskets at the same time just in the smoker. then you have 30" char grill and 14" x 8" 2 shelves vertical.
I almost bought the Lone star 24"x 24" vertical fright cost made the decision for me.
I think tending the fire and sipping good whiskey is half the fun of the smoke.
below is my Lang

Attachments

• 20140119_085252.jpg
    20140119_085252.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 47
That is one handsome smoker you got there! I really like the idea of sitting there, hanging out with the smoker and watching it do its thing. This my preferred method. But with kids and grandchildren over most every weekend, I am often distracted. If I was doing mostly short cooks, that would be a fine option for me.

When doing butts on my BGE, I will fire it up around 8 PM, and watch it closely till midnight, then it its off to bed and I leave it to do its thing by its self over night. I do keep a digital thermometer on my night stand with the alarm set at 170. If it gets too hot it will tell me, and can can get down there and fix things. If the fire dies, which it has never done, well we will be eating a tad later then expected. I am usually up by 5:30 AM and I'm back out there with a watchful eye. Butts cook, depending on size, from 15 to 17 hours. Being able to set and forget is a nice option, for me, when I need it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 40
I am a bit amazed at all the folks that have been willing to chime in with advice! It's sooo very much appreciated! I am a bit overwhelmed with all the different items to look at. However, I will say that I have looked at each posting and message sent, and if you are not hearing from me right away it's not because I have not noted your info.

Cheers!
Michael
Around here, smokers are like trucks. You got chevy, ford, dodge, gas, diesel. We all have something we are loyal to. The hard part for you is doing the research and finding what fits you and what will meet your needs.
Good Luck.

Back