THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I agree that this is a nice looking unit. They have a similar external shape to the Backwoods products although it appears from what I can see they are direct flow and not reverse flow like the Backwoods products. What made you choose to go with Pitmaker rather than Backwoods, Superior, etc?

Congratulations on the new pit.
I am the proud owner of a Pitmaker Vault.
Awesome units, super insulation, quality construction.

It all looks great! What a nice pit. If I was to ever get one more pit, that would probably be the one - obviously a very well made unit - congrats!

I agree that this is a nice looking unit. They have a similar external shape to the Backwoods products although it appears from what I can see they are direct flow and not reverse flow like the Backwoods products. What made you choose to go with Pitmaker rather than Backwoods, Superior, etc?

The BBQ Safe is a reverse flow cooker like the Backwoods. One big reason I went with the Pitmaker over the Backwoods was internal dimensions. I have to get creative when I put a large brisket on my Egg, and it has an 18" diameter. The Backwoods (Party) only has an internal depth of 16.5 ". I wasn't looking for less depth, I was looking for more. The Pitmaker is 20.5" deep. I also liked the thicker insulation on the Pitmaker, and the heavier guage steel (I won't be moving it around much so weight wasn't an issue). Though I didn't realize it at the time, I now know the BWS Party can be upgraded to be deeper, but by the time you add all upgrades to make it comparable to the Pitmaker, it is just as expensive, and I think the Pitmaker is prettier :becky:. I also ran into the depth issue on the small Spicewine, and the medium Spicewine was more cooker than I was looking for.

Very nice looking smoker. :thumb:

So, how long can you go on a single fuel load?

I'm a newish user to the Pitmaker Pits. I've done about a dozen cooks on my Safe. I generally burn quite a bit hotter (around 300 degrees) and have been getting a solid 6 hours from about 2.5lbs. This includes opening for wrapping, handling, etc. These pits are EXTREMELY efficient. I think the Safe burns better and more consistent than my Grill Dome.

Kyle

The BBQ Safe is a reverse flow cooker like the Backwoods.

Hey Zing would you mind giving a step by step of the heat/smoke flow in the Safe? In checking out your pictures I see channels running up the sides. is that the heat/smoke input or is that outputting to the smoke stack? I would love to learn how it works. Can you start with the heat/smoke leaving the firebox and take it to exiting the stack? Thanks.

Hey Zing would you mind giving a step by step of the heat/smoke flow in the Safe? In checking out your pictures I see channels running up the sides. is that the heat/smoke input or is that outputting to the smoke stack? I would love to learn how it works. Can you start with the heat/smoke leaving the firebox and take it to exiting the stack? Thanks.

The heat / smoke exits the fire box through a channel that runs up the back of the smoker, and enters the cooking chamber from the top. You can see the channel it enters into the cooking chamber in the sixth picture I took. You can see one of the side channels pretty good in the third pic. They go to about 6" from the bottom. This is the exit for the smoke / heat. It travels up the sides, and out the stack.

Shipping to Iowa

Wish they were a little (or A LOT) closer. I would invest in one of them. Shipping to Iowa has to be tremendous.

Actually just checked current pricing. Shipping a BBQ Safe, fully crated to Des Moines with a residential lift gate drop right to the driveway is $625.00 with current rates... :wink:

Looks great. I wish I had one. I'll take those ribs as a consolation.

Back