THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jeffsee

Full Fledged Farker
Well, my local repair shop gave me a 16-gallon drum for free. Had to buy the Smokey Joe. Bought some aluminum flat bar to make sturdier legs for the mini. I am taking the lid (which snaps on tight to the Smokey Joe) and adjusting it for a snug fit; then I'll leave a 1/2" inside edge to the cover and the barrel will sit snuggly inside the lid.

Right now, I just have everybody'f favorite...FIRE!:

5cadc441.jpg

30858165.jpg

Here's an update.

This was a lot of fun to crank out the last two days. Considering that I picked up the barrel yesterday, not bad that it's ready to cook today.

Here's the barrel with the Rutland rope around the bottom edge:

574f7398.jpg

WHile that was drying, I cured the paint on the 3/8" rim to support the barrel inside the bottom of the Smokey Joe:

f9937bb0.jpg

Here's the little one warming up:

4a04b4f1.jpg

And...a close-up of the rope in action:

63a679d9.jpg

My B-I-L and I are fabricating sturdier legs from aluminum bar this weekend.

Whew!

Interesting build... I like it.
Ya know if you used the old lid as the bottom it would be shorter and just as easy to clean without being as top heavy.

Thanks, Doc. I did consider that. With this working like a WSM (somewhat), I'm feeling pretty good about the cleaning. The old lid snapped on to the SJ bottom to give me that 3/8" lip.

I'm a newb, but that little unit looks "highly functional" to me.

More ideas for me. Thanks!

That there is one tall mini!! I like it! :becky:

Is your plan to use two cooking racks uds-style? Any thought toward adding a diffuser/water pan?

Nice! You are gonna love cooking on a Mini!

Waiting to see the leg mod, the SJS legs are gonna be too flimsy for the height and weight of any meats as is.

I have another barrel that I was thinking of donating to the cause, except instead of removing the bottom, I was planning to cut it at the rib, so it would seat into the Smokey Joe. Then use the remaining cylinder for a rotisserie ring....hey, its how I roll!

Waiting to see the leg mod, the SJS legs are gonna be too flimsy for the height and weight of any meats as is.

I have another barrel that I was thinking of donating to the cause, except instead of removing the bottom, I was planning to cut it at the rib, so it would seat into the Smokey Joe. Then use the remaining cylinder for a rotisserie ring....hey, its how I roll!

rib-o-lating on a mini!! :-D:-D

exactly what i wanna do for my mini...:thumb:

Two Racks

That there is one tall mini!! I like it! :becky:

Is your plan to use two cooking racks uds-style? Any thought toward adding a diffuser/water pan?

Yes, it does have two racks. Since I don't anticipate too many overnight smokes at the camper (the wife won't let me put a 55 gallon smoker on the trailer deck), I will use smaller charcoal loads, so I am less concerned about the 24" rule. I anticipate room for ABTs, MOINK balls, fatties, smaller butts (the WSM style will allow quick reloading of lump if needed), ribs, chicken.

I kept the original SJ air intake wheel, so I have to play with it to dial in temps.

Here is the mod I am basing mine off of: http://home.comcast.net/~day_trippr/smoker_mods.htm. I won't add height, but I do intend to use sturdier material for the legs. My B-I-L designs utility trailers, so I'm sure he'll tweak something somewhere.

After we mod the legs, I will of course have to reward my brother with MOINK balls or a fatty in a quick test smoke.

very interesting, I got a smokey Joe that is just to small for anything, it would be perfect for this project.

thanks for sharing!

This is exactly the attitude I regarding the Smokey Joe. I had a couple laying around and never cooked on one, ended up building a Mini 1427 BDS Clone, and played with it for awhile (still have it) but until I got the Cajun Bandit Mini, and started cooking on it, I've knocked out some awesome meals. It is a Reverse Sear Machine!

This is exactly the attitude I regarding the Smokey Joe. I had a couple laying around and never cooked on one, ended up building a Mini 1427 BDS Clone, and played with it for awhile (still have it) but until I got the Cajun Bandit Mini, and started cooking on it, I've knocked out some awesome meals. It is a Reverse Sear Machine!

The boys say they are putting the finishing touches on the Bandit mini.

OK...here's the leg mod. Keep in mind that I teach high school English, so I do not have the mad fab skills of some on the list. I avoided every shop class in high school (Why don't they tell you that those will be the most important classes you'll ever take!!! If I knew how to weld, think of what I could do.). If I could do it all over.....

But enough of that. Let's get to some photos:

c8d0726a.jpg

49faf448.jpg

The 1 1/2" x 1/8" aluminum flat bar cost me an additional $18 at Menards. For less that a buck I got three SS machine screws, washers and nuts. About three hours of fab work as I figured out angles (I can grade an essay in 15 minutes).

It is VERY sturdy.

Back