THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you? The trademark police? Get a grip. The word "lumberjack" has been in use since 1831 and used for a variety of products. Lumberjack is hardly unique or an invention of a single company.

You need to vigorously defend a trademark or you can end up losing it. Hence why most companies are very strict about potential infringement. One of the tests for infringement is if the competing thing is likely to cause confusion.

It wouldn't take a rocket surgeon to argue that a charcoal company selling combustible fuel products to BBQers using the name Lumberjack is likely to cause confusion with the pellet company Lumberjack that is in the business of selling combustible fuels to BBQers.

The Lumberjack pellet company may wish to consult their counsel.

Edit: This post should not be construed as legal advice. JMO.

You need to vigorously defend a trademark or you can end up losing it. Hence why most companies are very strict about potential infringement. One of the tests for infringement is if the competing thing is likely to cause confusion.

It wouldn't take a rocket surgeon to argue that a charcoal company selling combustible fuel products to BBQers using the name Lumberjack is likely to cause confusion with the pellet company Lumberjack that is in the business of selling combustible fuels to BBQers.

The Lumberjack pellet company may wish to consult their counsel.

Edit: This post should not be construed as legal advice. JMO.

I stilll don t believe it

@KevGuy

Seems like a reasonable line of questioning to me.
We know Lumberjack pellets are reputable, and here Lumberjack lump appears out of nowhere.
Lumberjack pellets disavows any knowledge of them, Yet we’re supposed to buy into them?

There have been several posts inserting lines I didn’t say.
I can only assume something nefarious is going on

@KevGuy

We know Lumberjack pellets are reputable, and here Lumberjack lump appears out of nowhere.
Lumberjack pellets disavows any knowledge of them, Yet we’re supposed to buy into them?

There have been several posts inserting lines I didn’t say.
I can only assume something nefarious is going on

@KevGuy

This was my last valid post on this thread!
All posts beyond this in my name are invalid.

So Lumber Jack (notice the space and separate words) which makes pellets is out of Canada. Lumber Jack making the charcoal is out of Europe. So both are foreign entities doing business in the US, so when it comes to branding / trademarking it all depends on whether or not their trademarks are registered in the US.

For what it's worth many companies do not trademark their name / logo because of the costs associated with it. A name like Lumber Jack will likely have issues because of how many different companies operate under a similar name. Patent / trademarking is a costly endeavor requiring lawyers and a lot of time...for small niche markets like BBQ it might not even be worth the cost and time to bother.

Something to consider is that the pellet guys out of Canada have a very different logo than the charcoal guys out of Europe. If anyone sees the actual products I think it would be hard to believe they were made by the same company.

Otherwise $2/Lb for oak/alder/birch charcoal is just not going to do well in the US (in my opinion, of course). Oak is a great wood with some awesome smells / aromas / flavors, but alder and birch are super neutral and they won't add anything to the final product...really they are just there for BTU's. I don't see what this product has to offer that we can't already get here in the US from B&B or similar.

This thread went off the rails. At times it doesn’t make sense what people are talking about.
Welcome to N&P. Oh wait...

You know things are way out of hand when people start arguing about the trademark of a company they know nothing about that is a product they have never tried.

I got on this thread with the intent of possibly finding a new brand of charcoal to use as my last bag of RO lump was pretty broken up. Should have swiped left.

Thanks for the try OP. I guess we will find out more about the actually product elsewhere if we want to. The good news is we certainly know where we can go to for outstanding corporate legal advise.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Not the charcoal that the OP was talking about which is why the thread was started in the first place. I went on this thread hopng to find something new to me. Honestly it is great to be talking about actual charcoal so we are taking the thread in the right direction. Have a great Sunday.

Last edited:
I’m sorry Porc. I was trying to be humorous and failed. Hard.

So I get the OP is asking about a new charcoal. General consensus is:

A: nobody here has heard of it personally
B: it’s too new to be on a good reliable review site
C it’s ash and birch which are generally seen as filler woods not flavor
D: the name is a bit suspect and we wonder if there will be issues
E: the price is higher than well rated brands we already know like Rockwood

So try a bag and write a personal review which we would LOVE to see. Always looking for a new find.

Hope this is more clear.

Welcome to N&P. Oh wait...

You know things are way out of hand when people start arguing about the trademark of a company they know nothing about that is a product they have never tried.

I got on this thread with the intent of possibly finding a new brand of charcoal to use as my last bag of RO lump was pretty broken up. Should have swiped left.

Thanks for the try OP. I guess we will find out more about the actually product elsewhere if we want to. The good news is we certainly know where we can go to for outstanding corporate legal advise.

Thank you.

I was just trying to put out there a new lump charcoal you can buy online in the USA. I have seen many posts saying “I can’t find any lump....”. Thought I would try to help. Guess not. People are too concerned about some dumb pellet produced here in Canada and BS legal stuff that they don’t know what they are talking about. Nothing worse than a curbside lawyer.

Back