looking for new Charcoal - SW Ontario Canada

Petee_c

Knows what a fatty is.
Ok.

Been grilling and smoking with charcoal for the past 2 years or so. Been really enjoying it.

I thought I was set with Basque's Nature's own hardwood lump from Costco Canada, but this year, our local Costco's have switched to Dragon's Breath (Product of Mexico), and the quality isn't there. Lots of big pieces, and little pieces and not a lot of consistency in the lump. About 10% isn't total carbonized. I believe it is mesquite based charcoal.

20lb bags of lump seem to run about $20 up here in Canukistan. I usually use 5 20lb bags of lump per year. I hope to grill more in the future if my plans to go part-time work out. Maybe double the amount of grilling I do now.

If Costco kept the Nature's own lump, I last got it at $14/bag. So I guess I'm only saving $30/yr.

I started out with KBB, but have noticed the smell and the ash production.

I bought a bag of Maple Leaf Briquettes (also Canadian - from Quebec) at Lowes for $13/17.6lb bag. Apparently no coal or limestone in it's manufacture. Hopefully ash production is acceptable.

I grill on a weber OTS 22.5" kettle. I recently bought a Jumbo Joe and have been practicing on that to use for picnics, and use my UDS about 1-2x/month.

Peter

I'm in Canada too. Unfortunately you have to take what you can get up here, Canada is like the attic that no one wants to ship too. Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tried the maple leaf briquettes tonight on a quick grill of pork chops that I got on sale.

There were a few pieces of lump still on the kettle.

No smell when lighting and took an average amount of time to light up,about 15 minutes for me to on the propane side burner. I let the propane go for the 1st 5 mins or so.

1st thing I noticed is after I dumped the chimney onto the kettle, the 1st briquettes I tried to pick up and arrange in the kettle broke in half.

Not sure if I will be able to re light these in my chimney for the next cook without them breaking up.

I usually can pick up the larger pieces of used lump and relight them in the chimney for the next cook, as most of my grill sessions are only about 15 mins of cooking time.

Food turned out fine.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Lowes has a lot of option for charcoal, try basques hardwood lump(Waterloo west has 31 bags), I personally love it. They also have the new Weber briquettes, royal oak and a couple of other types. Also CT will have some that lowes does not. 6 year ago it was RO and that's it for lump but more and more brands are becoming available to the point where there's now a bunch I haven't tried and I used to try everything.

I'm in London. And just found king of the pigs restaurant sell charcoal too. So I'm going try that. But I have been using royal oak. Just got a bag of green egg. Haven't tried it yet but 40 a bags a lot.

I'm kinda looking for the best bang for the buck right now for charcoal. Got spoiled by the Basque Nature's own from Costco at under $14/20 lbs.

I'm in Florida and only use Basque's lump. It's very popular with a lot of the comp teams around here. Shouldn't be to hard to find Canadian charcoal in Canada somewhere if we can get it in FL.
Good luck.

Might want to check back at Costco.
The St. Catharines Costco had a skid of Basques this past week.

Might want to check back at Costco.
The St. Catharines Costco had a skid of Basques this past week.
Thanks!

I posted on their Facebook page a few weeks ago and some fb'rs did mention that some Costco's carry Basque still. Maybe it's a supply issue that they can't stock all their stores.

I'll check Waterloo Costco again this week if I have time. I will be in St Catherine's this weekend and might have room for a couple bags if it's still in stock.

Back to the maple leaf briquettes, I was able to carefully - using my fingers picked up the once used briquettes and set them in my chimney gently and relight them tonight to grill some chicken for my family tonight.... I had to pour them out gently.

Called Costco Waterloo with the sku#307987 for Basque's Natures Own, and the lady I spoke to said they had a 102 units.

Went after work and picked up 5 bags at $13.99 for 8kg (17.6lbs)

Last edited:
Back