New BBQ Show

I just hope he goes to some competitions that are not KCBS. In Texas BBQ comps are totally different than KCBS.

This caught my eye since I have not been around the competition BBQ scene. I'm curious how TX competition differ from KCBS? Would love to learn more.

In Texas comps. judges are volunteers from the general public. Cooks turn in ribs (spare or st louis no babybacks), brisket, and a full half chicken. There is no salad in the box only a sheet of foil. turn in times are an hour apart instead of kcbs 30 min.
Judges do not pick the meat up to taste it, they are given a stack of plastic utnesils to cut their samples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4gFZifB-14

Last edited:
In Texas comps. judges are volunteers from the general public. Cooks turn in ribs (spare or st louis no babybacks), brisket, and a full half chicken. There is no salad in the box only a sheet of foil. turn in times are an hour apart instead of kcbs 30 min.
Judges do not pick the meat up to taste it, they are given a stack of plastic utnesils to cut their samples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4gFZifB-14

Also, only one (that I know of) of the sanctioning bodies provide any feedback to the teams after the competition. IBCA modified the scoring system and now judges score each meat for appearance, taste, & texture. One score for each. Other organizations Outlaw BBQ, Lone Star, etc. judges are supposed to combine appearance, taste, & texture into a single score for each meat. The single score system gives you very little information to go on. If my brisket gets a score of 6 out of 10... I have no idea what the judges liked or didn't like... did they not like the taste? Was it not tender enough?

I enjoyed the show and am looking forward to the future episodes. I usually catch "PitMasters" on the Travel channel on fridays, but sometimes its not scheduled.
Yes the BBQ Comp needs more exposure to the general public so that they can see and some what experience this great sport.

Also, only one (that I know of) of the sanctioning bodies provide any feedback to the teams after the competition. IBCA modified the scoring system and now judges score each meat for appearance, taste, & texture. One score for each. Other organizations Outlaw BBQ, Lone Star, etc. judges are supposed to combine appearance, taste, & texture into a single score for each meat. The single score system gives you very little information to go on. If my brisket gets a score of 6 out of 10... I have no idea what the judges liked or didn't like... did they not like the taste? Was it not tender enough?
KCBS still has comment cards as far as I know.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

the good thing is you as a cook can skip comps and just judge to see what the judges like.

I have judged many comps and it helps alittle...but since the competitions around me use people off the street to judge it's a crap shoot. You might get people judging your ribs who think "crock pot" ribs are the best ribs in the world. :p

Excited for the new episode tonight!

Never injected ribs but may give it whirl.

Joe is one of the top competitors on the circuit. His entries were beautiful.

Well, last night "Pitmasters" star Robbie Royal was on. My father lives in Florida, and lately I've had to go back and forth a lot due to his health. There's a sign on one of the exits that says "Pitmasters" and "Rescue BBQ." The place looks abandoned though. I guess he tried the restaurant deal and it didn't work out.

Back