THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You should just sell me your whole 48” assassin. 😁

For guys who do a lot of grilling on it how are steaks and such?

I do primarily grilling on it and it is great. I also seared some pork over the charcoal on a two zone set up and added some wood to add a smoke flavor and then put the pork on the smoke stack side for indirect heat. Looked like it had very good air flow.

In fact will be doing sausage tonight on it. I usually set up a 2-zone set up, put the sausage on the indirect side until almost done, then put it on the charcoal side to really crisp up the skin. Works great.

If I sell the standard SS expanded metal rack then I can afford the round bar version.

FYI Assassin told me specifically their grates are not designed to handle the heat from that and will warp them.

I don’t have the typical grates. Jeff made me custom stainless steel rod grates which are more robust than the standard expanded metal grates. No problems with warping so far and it has been about a year of moderate use.

Peter B question on your two firebox doors. Do you wish you had the doors insulated. I saw a video from BBQ Freak and he had daisey wheel fully closed which I am assuming means some airflow gets through the door. I am just curious if with the second door it would be better to have seal for both better control with the temps and in shutting it down and saving charcoal.

Peter B question on your two firebox doors. Do you wish you had the doors insulated. I saw a video from BBQ Freak and he had daisey wheel fully closed which I am assuming means some airflow gets through the door. I am just curious if with the second door it would be better to have seal for both better control with the temps and in shutting it down and saving charcoal.

I primarily burn sticks instead of charcoal so I prefer the daisy wheel for better airflow.

I think the insulated doors make sense if you are using a temperature control device but I prefer staying low tech and tending my fire regularly.

I prefer the pinwheel setup as well and would not be using a digital controller I am just wondering if the doors leak air a little and and could benefitv from gaskets or if they are tight.

I prefer the pinwheel setup as well and would not be using a digital controller I am just wondering if the doors leak air a little and and could benefitv from gaskets or if they are tight.

I do have gaskets on mine around the fire box door and seals tight except the pinwheel has a very slight gap but the air flow comes from the large diameter short stack , this is the first cooker I controlled the temps and closing the stack to 1/2" opening to control heat .

also I will add that I never burnt a fire in mine and used it as a charcoal smoker like it was made to be and not saying you can not but to small of area for me to do so .

BBQ Freak is right. The Assassain Grill is not designed to butn sticks. It is designed to burn charcoal.

Therefore I don’t manage my fire through the fire box door when I am burning sticks, only when I cook with charcoal.

I manage my fire through the main door to the cook chamber, but that limits the cooking capacity in half which is still a lot of cooking space. Also, the splits need to be small. Here is a link to some images of how I manage my fire in the Assassin:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WfFanAwimhMcsYoP9

I usually open the main door, check my food, spritz and throw on a couple of small splits. It has been working for me but it is not for everyone.

I should have been more specific in my wording. I am strictly speaking of charcoal and in this case thinking if the situation where come home from work just going to grill a couple steaks so a full chimney of either briquettes or lump. Based on your description above I just need to spread charcoal out then close all vents and that should stop the charcoal from burning correct? The biggest issue for me on that is getting the cooker to cool off so I can put cover on as it will be on uncovered patio. I of course like saving charcoal for the next run too but keeping the cooker covered and out of rain is my primary goal with this question

I've found on my 48" if I leave the fire door open, and keep the front door closed, the heat actually DECREASES in the cooking area from when I reached cooking temp. It's like the heat goes out of the door.

However if I close the fire door, use the pinwheel or BBQ Guru adapter, and keep the front door closed then the heat increases and I can control it fine.

This is regardless of whether I use wood or not. I will also add when doing it this way, there seems to be a good flow coming out of the stack.

If I am simply trying to sear, and want the hottest tempt possible, then I keep the firebox door open and the main lid open.

I have a 36 with insulated door and ball valve, if I close the valve and stack it will put the fire out, it would still take a while before it would be cool enough to put a cover on.

I was figuring it would take awhile to cool after killing the charcoal which is why I want to make sure I can snuff it out. Otherwise I am waiting for charcoal to burn off and then the cooker cooling down.

Back