THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

@redneck allstar:

Were they loinbacks or spares? What was the country of origin?

they were spares cut to st louis style. Im not sure what the country of origin was. I do remember that they were enhanced somewhere in the area of 12%. The funny thing is that the ones I bought last year at wally world were enhanced and they were good. Nothing like these.

I think that I have learned that in the future I'm just gonna stay away from anything that is enhanced.

Most likely Hormel brand. Target here in Rochester had a similar sale at Memorial Day.

Yep, came to post this. Target usually has a big sale on Hormel baby backs during the summer holidays, and around here at least they're typically 12-13% solution.

Unfortunately the big supermarkets up here (Rainbow & Cub Foods) typically only carry the same ribs.

My only point is, that may be a "baby and the bathwater" proposition.

I think the better position to take (for those of us who stopped buying enhanced) would be "inconsistency". I know when I was only buying ribs from Brookshires, Kroger, Wal-Mart etc. that were enhanced (whether it be 8% up to 12%) I'd get very inconsistence results. Sometimes they'd turn out "hammy" and sometime they would not. But strangely enough when I stopped buying them and started buying from our local market. I've yet to have one slab turn out "hammy". You're right though. It might be a bit of a "baby and the bathwater" mentality with enhanced ribs. I think the better and more accurate train of thought might be inconsistent. Or at least that's been my experience.

I have had good results with ribs enhanced "up to 8-percent."

It is required by the big, bad gubment that enhanced meat be labeled as enhanced, and by how much. I'll buy 8-percent ribs on sale, but that's about my limit.

CD

I will continue to enjoy my spares in 8% solution.

I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with enhanced products (at least on the low end of the scale). But it is definitely important to understand what's in your meat so that you can adjust your technique accordingly.

On a sidenote, the wally world by me has better quality beef for the same prices as my neighborhood grocer. Their brisket is packed by the same folks as other places, and most of the time, the packers are usda choice. The local grocer typically has ungraded packers.

I've seen a fair amount of CAB packers at wallys too. Always the same low price of $2.18/lb.

Just remember that holidazes are prime for unloading crappy meat! Memorial day, fourth of July, and Labor day! People looking for a cheap meal. That is what they get! Processors looking to unload.....

I cooked some spares the other night, from walmart, and they had a hammy taste. It was the first time I have ever cooked spares and I kinda thought maybe thats just how they are but maybe it wasn't. They were smithfield 8% enhanced. I cooked them 3 hours at 250, foiled for an hour, then back on out of foil for an hour with sauce near the end. This is pretty much the same way I cook BB's except I only do 2 hrs before foiling BB's. Same brand, same 8% and BB's always turn out good. I guess maybe thats the inconsistency you all are talking about.

as has been said, no product of mexico, enhanced or water added for me.
Label says it all.
I've had good luck with sam's,gfs & piggly wiggly.

I got a rack of enhanced from Krogers this weekend and they just sucked, like everybody else sad, they just tasted like ham. I usually buy their "naturals" but they had a rack on sale and I wanted something cheap to try a new rub concoction I had dreamt about, could not taste the rub as I could not get passed the haminess. Maybe a pineapple glaze/BBQ sauce would work better...hmmm....here I go dreaming again!

Back