Netflix Barbecue Showdown now on

I also was thumbing through the channels yesterday and last year, Michael Symon hosted "Barbecue Across America" where he went to different competitions and spoke with teams and showed their techniques, and at the awards, how they placed, and it looks like they re-edited everything and each show focuses on one category so it's showing clips from different events but they're sticking with either chicken or ribs or brisket for each show (I didn't see pork because it was late). That was informative for me, seeing all their techniques at one time. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

Did anyone that has watched the entire season notice the two (at least) BBQ Brethren references? Melissa was talking about a sausage log done on the smoker and referred to it as a fatty;
and when the cooks had to choose a cooking apparatus for the final round, a close up of the Shirley Fabrication logo was shown on the "hog box". Way to go, Paul!

Did anyone that has watched the entire season notice the two (at least) BBQ Brethren references? Melissa was talking about a sausage log done on the smoker and referred to it as a fatty;
and when the cooks had to choose a cooking apparatus for the final round, a close up of the Shirley Fabrication logo was shown on the "hog box". Way to go, Paul!

Well, Bigdog did come up with that nickname, and the rest is history.

Good catch Ron. I did notice the "Fatty" reference.

I really enjoyed it. The line Melissa makes about being the 'Queen of BBQ' made me laugh so hard. It was a great and humble joke.

I noticed the Shirley part for sure, but missed the fatty!

slightly off-topic. I brought the topic of a fatty to my lovely wife, and she kinda shot it down, thinking it didn't sound good. HOWEVER, if she hears it from the legendary Melissa Cookston (whom she knows who she is), perhaps it'll be easier to present?

i'll be watching the season soon :)

slightly off-topic. I brought the topic of a fatty to my lovely wife, and she kinda shot it down, thinking it didn't sound good. HOWEVER, if she hears it from the legendary Melissa Cookston (whom she knows who she is), perhaps it'll be easier to present?

I believe it's in the episode where Thyron makes sausage, and I think it's when they are sitting around talking about all the failures they've had when anyone has attempted sausage on the show. When Melissa mentions "smoking a fatty", the other girl that hosts with them, her eyes lit up because she immediately was thinking of a different type of fatty.

Might I suggest you pull up your man panties and buy a log of sausage and smoke it and offer the Mrs. a sample and if she (unlikely) doesn't care for it, enjoy your snack by your own self.
Ed

One of my funniest fatty stories was from years ago at an annual BBQ I help out with. We bought 20 fatties and since I come in for the early morning shift to wrap meats and such, I prepped them and smoked to serve around 11am when people begin to drift in (the pork and lamb is served around 1pm). One of the guests was a catering guy for a local restaurant and he loved them, and asked for a recipe. He didn't believe me when I told him they were JD Original with BBQ rub. He was basically calling me a liar.... I finally took him over to a trash can that was full of JD wrappers. A couple of years later some friends went to a wedding reception where the restaurant catered a whole hog, and they had sliced fatties for snacks.

I've watched all of Season 1 and thought it was entertaining. I've started on Season 2 and my wife is watching it with me. I didn't think she'd like it, but she's hooked on the show. :)

I also was thumbing through the channels yesterday and last year, Michael Symon hosted "Barbecue Across America" where he went to different competitions and spoke with teams and showed their techniques,

For some reason I thought that the show referenced in the OP was the next season of the comp bbq with Symon.

I just started this season of the BBQ showdown. I’d like to have access to that meat locker.

Back