THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Congrats! You even have time for a nap. Those big hunks of meat should be fine resting for a few hours.

Been resting them in foil/towel/cooler for 3.5 hours and brisket and pork temps were still around 175F. Should be OK for dinner time and will pop in the over if temps start to drop to quick.

Here are a few shows of our fatty breakfast biscuits and the briskets as they came off. No pics of the pork as I pulled it from Earl.

The little guy

35B95309-0BA4-4773-B048-BC4D1CFD6EF6.jpg

The big guy

B7044CE3-35F3-4C17-8CAD-0A0982E49E70.jpg

Attempted brisket foul!!!

0CC9E157-5796-46D6-BB2B-A4A59BB6123E.jpg

Fatty breakfast biscuits

AEF5DB96-686E-478E-8E8F-FB19346898A9.jpg

1D98DC1F-51FA-4DB6-8025-34D84EE207B5.jpg

Nice bark on the briskets. I have been inpatient lately and wrapping before the bark gets dark enough.

Great looking food! What time did you get the meat into the pit and what time did it all finish?

10:30pm - Briskets and butts went on - pit temp was 225-250F at the upper rack for the duration of the cook...a bit warmer on the rack with the briskets.
8:00am - wrapped all meat in foil
8:30am - peeps took a nap while the FIL tended fire
10:30am - Tasha woke peeps based on all meat having ITs of ~200-205F and all meat probed tender
10:45am - wrapped all meat in another layer of foil, towel and placed in preheated cooler
11:15am - peeps took another nap
1:00pm - checked ITs and they were in the 175F range
3:30pm - checked ITs and they were in the 165F range
5:30pm - sliced one brisket and shredded 1 butt. Brisket was overdone but still juicy. About half was shredded.
7:30pm - brought rest of meat home and pulled pork and sliced brisket - all meat was still at 160F 9 hours after being pulled from the cooker. Cambro WHO??? :wink:

The sleet and icy conditions and basically the 60F drop in temp from yesterday to today kept folks away. We had only about 20 adults and 10 kids. Served 1 brisket and 1 butt and there was about 25% left of each when we left to get Tyler to bed and shred/slice the remaining brisket and 2 butts.

Got great comments from everyone there despite the brisket falling apart. Will vac pack the rest of the meat tomorrow and let them freeze to use it for future church dinners or for families in need over the next few months.

Here is a pic of the brisket I sliced up for dinner...

CE9EB9E5-7929-41C1-8474-8C57E629CAE5.jpg

Here is the untouched food I sliced and shredded when I got back home.

2CA30302-685D-483E-97DF-3FAC9FAF7F3B.jpg

DB82D46A-E5B8-4185-9C7B-BFA25E39FDA4.jpg

Great job getting it all done. I forgot to tell you, that I tend to not wrap when doing the overnight cooks that way I can fit a short nap in and not have to worry about overcooking meats >.<

The food looks great though. Time for pulled beef and pulled pork sammiches, tacos, chili and a host of other stuff!

I'm not keeping any. They paid for it all and gave me a $50 Rudy's gift card for my services. they have a church member that had a death in the family so they are taking some of it to them and will freeze the rest for future church dinners at their house.

It is a small start-up church, so their numbers are pretty small right now, so it will be enough for a couple small functions.

Great job getting it all done. I forgot to tell you, that I tend to not wrap when doing the overnight cooks that way I can fit a short nap in and not have to worry about overcooking meats >.<
I have had bad experiences with not wrapping my briskets before, though I normally cook them hotter. I knew what I could expect with foiling and knew even if I overcooked it, it wouldn't be charred should I not pull it in time.

Thanks, guys! It was a fun experience.

Thanks for following, providing tips, and helping keep me awake during the cook.

I learned a lot, especially about holding the meat. I couldn't believe I was able to hold the meat for 9 hours and it still be too hot to handle! Definitely will change the way I handle future cooks where holding is an option. I rarely have time for that long of a rest and I realized that I could have pulled it about 5-8F sooner and probably not had crumbly brisket with such a long rest.

NASCAR-nope, Honda Classic-Nope, Hockey or Rodeo HELLNO.
What kept me running (Que. the Doobie Brothers)on my overnight shifts was peeps cook and this thread. Amen

Back