THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyson chicken from SANS is already brined in a 10% solution. No need to brine and add falvors that are not natural and will clash with the sauce and rub.

KISS - try chicken and rub and sauce as a starting point and work from there. And the rub needs to compliment the sauce not be different. I use Slabs.

And as already said it's not your taste it's what the judges expect.

I couldn't agree more.
Last year I did EVERYTHING to chicken: brined, marinated, injected, rubbed, wet rubbed, smoked, glazed... Nothing, no calls. This year I'm keeping it simple. Last three comps, three chicken calls. (1st, 2nd, 10th)
The best piece of advice I got was from a judge early this year. He was commenting on a chicken thigh he judged earlier that day. He said it was one of the best he's ever had. I asked him what it tasted like...he said "chicken."

Tyson chicken from SANS is already brined in a 10% solution. No need to brine and add falvors that are not natural and will clash with the sauce and rub.

Amen to that.

I find it strange that some cooks will pay big bucks for a premium brisket but still use a low grade bird like (shudder) Pilgrim's Pride. Good quality poultry is well worth the price.

Amen to that.

I find it strange that some cooks will pay big bucks for a premium brisket but still use a low grade bird like (shudder) Pilgrim's Pride. Good quality poultry is well worth the price.

You're 100% correct !!.. A good chunk of my competition stress is meat quality.

You're 100% correct !!.. A good chunk of my competition stress is meat quality.

I'll pay extra for great quality chicken, ribs and sometimes brisket but not often will I try to find any high grade pork butt. I've never been able to tell the difference.

Sorry it has taken so long to update this but life is busy.

I did chicken 3 different ways.
1) No seasoning, just straight out of the package.
2) Brine
3) Italian dressing

The overwhelming verdict was the chicken straight out of the package without anything other than sauce on it. There were approximately 8 different tasters and 5 of them said those were the best and even those that thought the brine and Italian dressing were the best agreed that the plain were good.

Go figure.....

Back