THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, depends on what you like. you can go side fire box/barrel, vertical type. The main thing is that it keeps the smoke in and maintains heat. I have an old cast iron twin barrel pit I salvaged from my in-laws and sealed up the leaks and works just fine. If you can have a heavy duty cast iron smoker made it will be the last one you will ever need. Good luck.

I know that I already cast my vote above. However I feel that you owe it to yourself to check out one of the Shirley double damper units with the attached warmer before making your decision. I have cooked on a lot of differnt cookers and in my opinion the double damper Shirley's are the way to go. It just expands your cooking options tremendously.

Last edited:
Get a Shirley.

bfe0bf1a-6f27-4950-b4c0-a66f20ed4c99_zps93236f7c.jpg

i bought from custom pits in va. a1 comp smoker. nice affordable smoker. is it the best, nope. can ya cook and make so,e damn good que on it, yup. custompitsva.com

Picked up my Shirley in December. I spent months looking at various smokers and could not find a single negative comment on the Shirleys. Paul was great to work with and patient with my several redesigns/additions. Love this cooker. You can't go wrong with a Shirley!

Well I don't think you could go wrong with any pit that you end up with. All of these pit makers put out some real nice product! They are all unique but everyone of them will produce yum yum! Have me down for a week end and I can pitch in with eating!!

I am just happy that we have these fine folk who make these wonderful cookers!!

Good luck and buy wood.

Maybe I'll just get a 22.5" WSM for now until I can afford the Pitmaker. That is the one I'd really like to get.

The Pitmakers are par excellent. I went with Shirley Fab for the offset and Pitmaker for the vertical cabinet. Both are of outstanding quality. You can't go wrong with either.

Last edited:
What do you guys think of this smoker? They are local to me so I wouldn't have to pay shipping.

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AMsxO-JNhaw[/ame]

Back