THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

armyguygrillin

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Ok guys, I am in the market and ready to buy a new smoker. I seem to go through smokers like nobody's business. To give a little background, I have been smoking for maybe the last 4 years or so. I have had the following pits:
-Chargriller pro duo with firebox(thing was super thin, hard to control temps and keep stable, and rusted out pretty badly)

-Big steel keg(two of them because I missed the first one so much after selling it. Loved the flavor these things produced. Definitely one of my favorites but just not enough cooking capacity)

-Pellet grills(Fast Eddy PG100 and PG500, Dreamwerkz 1600SS, and a GMG Davy Crockett. These things are super convenient but just don't put out anywhere near enough smoke flavor for me. I can't even taste smoke with these and I've tried adding smoke generators,etc. Great for replacing a gas grill though)

-Vertical Cabinet smoker(Currently have an Assassin 28 which I love but it's a little big for what I need. It is being sold on Sunday to a good home who will get good use out of it for his catering. I might regret selling it down the road but I like trying different things.)

I am now wanting to try a stick burner. I have read until my eyes hurt on these things and which are the best ones. Everything I've read on these says they put out the best flavor Q hands down but also require the most work. That doesn't bother me if the reward is worth the sacrafice.

With that said, I am pretty sure I am getting a reverse flow. I like to cook a lot of the same things so even temps across the racks are important. I was dead set on a Pitmaker Sniper 48 but when I called down there Thursday, I was quoted prices all over the board. The guy I spoke with must not of been taking me seriously which was a little irritating. He quoted me $6,000 for a reverse flow 48" Sniper with an insulated fire box. That pretty much killed the deal for me. Now I have been looking at the Lang 48 and the Jambo backyard. I do like that the Jambo has an insulated fire box but it isn't reverse flow. I have also read that they like to run at 275 which is too hot for what I like. I cook at the 225 mark and it's what I like. The Lang on the other hand is reverse flow but doesn't have an insulated fire box. It also doesn't look as nice as the Jambo but that isn't a deal breaker.

Based on my book I just wrote above(sorry for the long post), what would you guys and gals recommend?

I guess I should add, which I know the cook makes more difference than the cooker, is that the very best ribs I've ever had came off a jambo. The next best I've ever had came off a 22.5 WSM.

My price range is $3-$3.5k.

I'm sure I won't be the only one to say...call Paul at Shirley Fabrication..he will literally build whatever you want

A Shirley reverse flow has your name written all over it. Give Paul on here a call. Brethren who have them will chime in shortly. Can't beat his prices, quality and service, 3 things that are hard to combine nowadays.

275*:-D aint that bad either

don't get caught up in the fact that the jambo isn't a reverse flow, it doesnt need to be. the jambo design with the high fire box connection point and the low outlet stack elevation creates even temps across the cooker by having perfect airflow through the pit.

Check out Shirley Fabrication on Facebook. Then give Paul a call. I was in your exact position looking around for the right pit builder. After talking to Paul I had zero doubt. I could not be happier with my Shirley reverse flow cooker. The service, quality and integrity over at SF is second to none. Strongly consider them.

https://www.facebook.com/ShirleyFabrication

I have a Lang 48, and simply having a convection plate, or reverse flow, does not guarantee even temps across the pit! I started on a cheap smoker and had some 1/4" tuning plates made for it. I could have any temp arrangement that I wanted. Even all across, hotter at the fire box end or hotter at the far end from the fire box. An ideal design would be a reverse flow with moveable/adjustable tuning plates. Don't know if anyone make such a beast, but it would work very well.

Interesting pattern you have of discarding each smoker for the next best thing. Many of us here like to have all of these types of smokers, and use them all according to what we're cooking or how much or time available for each cook.

Pitmaker is pricey but the quality is Top shelf & you can will it to your grand kids. I know someone who has one and wouldn't part with it for double what it cost. But we all can't drive a Bugatti either I hear nothing but good things about Shirley Fabrication Paul is a stand up guy. And once I move I'll be giving him a call to build me one.

Shirley Fabrication will get my money as soon as i'm ready. I too have read until cross eyed and I have yet to see anything bad about the product they put out. Prices are very reasonable too. Plus the fact that they will build you what you want with no hassle. I don't have one yet but I will be placing an order with them hopefully soon.

I'm also in the market for an offset. Talked to Shirley last week. Great value on the cooker but I can't wait until September to get it. Also shipping was going to be high.

"I seem to go through smokers like nobody's business. -Pellet grills. I can't even taste smoke with these and I've tried adding smoke generators,etc".

"I am now wanting to try a stick burner. I have read until my eyes hurt on these things and which are the best ones. Everything I've read on these says they put out the best flavor Q hands down but also require the most work. That doesn't bother me if the reward is worth the sacrafice."

Have you ever tried an amaz n tube? I use one in a verticle cabinet to cold smoke and it will choke you out. If you used one in a pellet cooker and it doesn't satisfy your insatiable desire for smoke flavor I'm not so sure a stick burner will. I've had a stick burner and agree that it will provide more smoke than a pellet cooker but not with added smoke being applied. Sure agree though the stick burner will make you work and I've had some great BBQ from one.

i would go shirley. i shopped for close to a year and shirley gave me more for the money than any other.you wont be sorry.paul is well worth the wait.

Last edited:
I love my Shirley Fabrication Reverse Flow. Do not make your decision until you talk to Paul. You owe yourself at least that.
image_zps4a4700f4.jpg

image_zps3abec423.jpg

I will definitely give them a call. I can't imiagine what shipping would be though since I'm all the way in California.

I'm also curious if I call Jambo, if they will make me a Jambo backyard in reverse flow?

Back