THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vinny P

Found some matches.
To all you BBQ Gurus on the forum, I have been cooking on a home built UDS that I made using the Big Poppa hardware and kit. For the most part, I'm very happy with the results. Several years of practice, trying different recipes and techniques, and following the advice on these forums has helped me tremendously.

However, I still have a few issues that I'd be interested to hear your opinions on.

The first and foremost issue is that of the charcoal basket capacity. The Big Poppa kit comes with a really nice basket that sits on three "legs" and those legs hook into some U-bolts inside the drum at one of two levels. That way you can vary how close the coals are to your food.

The basket however isn't that big. I usually fill it to capacity using the Minion method by using a coffee can that has no lids on either end, putting it in the center of the basket, filling the ring outside with regular old Kingsford briquettes, and then pouring in about a half a chimney-full of white hot briquettes and removing the can.

I can get the temps stable at about 225 to 250 within about half an hour.
Throw a few "sticks" of kindling sized pieces of smoking wood (usually hickory or apple). and off I go.

However, the last three pork shoulders I've done (all around 9lbs) have hit a stall somewhere around 150 to 170, and even after 12 hours of cooking time, I'm running out of fuel and start to lose temps in the smoker (under 200).

Yesterday, I pulled the shoulder off at 10 hours and 165 degrees, wrapped in foil, and put back on. Even after 2 more hours the temp didn't get above 173 degrees and I had already knocked down the ash, and poured in another half chimney of live coals to fire off the remaining briquettes.

Since when I pulled the butt to foil it, it was already falling apart, I wasn't too worried about it being done, and after two more hours, it was as tender as other shoulders I had cooked to 200 degrees in the past.

Good bark, (even with the foil), good smoke ring, nice flavor and pulled really easily. Not much fat at all left in or on the meat (I usually trim the fat cap to about 1/8") and I don't inject. The one time I did inject the meat was actually less moist for some reason.

So even though the final temp after 12 hours at 225 to 250 was only 170 or so, the meat was still really good. My question is why? Did I just get lucky? My thermometer has always been accurate. It's a Pyrex pro temp thermometer with the probe pushed to the center of the thickest part of the roast and not anywhere near the bone.

Also, other than fabricating a different basket, how do I get a longer cook at the same temps? I would like to try a brisket at some point, but considering how long I figure I'll have to cook it, I'm afraid of having to refill and restart the basket several times. Do I just live with it? The basket is about 8" tall and roughly 16" wide. Will a bigger basket choke it self out with too much ash?

Sorry for the long winded post, but I wanted to be clear on what my problem is.

Looking forward to what you guys have to say.
Thanks
V

I have one and went 17.5 hours over 275* with lump...i over stuffed it

Bottom line the basket could be bigger for those long cooks but Kingsford is a powder ash producer imo and doesn't last long. You could add a couple inches to the top with expanded steel and would be good to go imo. I love the BP system that it comes up for grilling/searing options but just make sure if you put expanded steel extension it doesn't interfere with the cook grate when you raise up the basket for grill cooks.

People love KBB largely because of Memorial Day and Labor day sales but it doesn't perform well compared to most major brands. Lump is my favorite because it's natural and produces minimal ash. If I'm going to use charcoal I'd like it to go to producing heat not powdery ash.

From Big Poppa site
"The Nest Assembly basket measures in at 13-3/8" diameter by a height of 7-1/2" with support legs reaching out to the sides of the drum smoker."
If you want longer cook times, a larger basket will cure your problem.
A Weber 17" coal grate ( from a 22.5 weber) with 8" high expanded sides will go 17+ hrs untouched. You don't need to weld. HD etc have S.S. tye wrap clamps (and the expanded metal)that you can use to hold everything together. Use when doing long cooks.

Last edited:
I ran in to that issue a few times cooking butts on my Big Poppa EDS. Awesome cooking machine but I hate removing a cooking rack with a 10 lb butt on it and having to add more coal to get the product finished. Irritates the fuzz right out of me. And that is with using lump. I think I am going to switch things up and cook butts in my old leaky UDS and cook ribs, moinks and everything else I can in the Big Poppa including some bad ass seared and high temp cooked steaks.

And man don;t forget a good pair of welding gloves. the inside of my barrel gets screaming hot while in grilling configuration.

The basket in my UDS will burn for 24 hours plus with basic Kingsford. If you are running out of fuel, there is design issue out of wack IMO.

On my old UDS I used a steel milk crate for a basket. Mixed wood chunks in with the charcoal "Stubbs". I would dump about 1/2 lit chimney on top to get started and I could get 18 hrs burn time.

I ran in to that issue a few times cooking butts on my Big Poppa EDS. Awesome cooking machine but I hate removing a cooking rack with a 10 lb butt on it and having to add more coal to get the product finished. Irritates the fuzz right out of me. And that is with using lump. I think I am going to switch things up and cook butts in my old leaky UDS and cook ribs, moinks and everything else I can in the Big Poppa including some bad ass seared and high temp cooked steaks.

And man don;t forget a good pair of welding gloves. the inside of my barrel gets screaming hot while in grilling configuration.
Over load your basket...like heaping and light the edge of the basket. I guarantee better results. That said I don't use my UDS much anymore but when I did that worked.

So from someone that actually has one I'd suggest.

1) put the expanded metal in
2) over load the basket (heaping)
3) Use quality charcoal (cheaper in the long run)
4) optional- but add up to 1 1/2" height to the basket with expanded steel. This will still allow you to have the basket in grilling mode and not interfere with the cook grate.

****IMPORTANT***** Dj, put expanded metal in the bottom so it keeps the smaller pieces of charcoal in the bottom from falling through. That's your problem.

Back