THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michigan BBQ Fan

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
Scott
HI Brethren,

Hope everybody's January is finishing up well. I need some help/tips as I get ready to make a bunch of chili next week.

I need to make way more chili than I normally make. I'm looking to make 4 (or more) slow-cookers of chili to serve a few hundred people at at a tasing event. I know that often chili can be better if it has time to rest/mature/come together.

Here is my idea...
I'm thinking of making the chili during the week and then reheat it on the day of the event. I was thinking of doing a slow-cooker full of chili a few nights next week, then hold it in the fridge until reheating on Saturday.

Here is my question...
Should I fully make the chili including the beans or should I add the beans when I reheat??

(OK, a sincere apology to those of you who feel bean in chili is on par with one of the worst actions one could take, but, the people at the event expect them...so...beans it is)

I'm worried that the beans might breakdown too much sitting for a few days. FYI - I'm used pre-cooked kidney and pinto beans (GFS canned.)

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Definitely cook the chili ahead of time & reheat. But can't help with the beans as I never add any.

Kidneys will hold up better than pintos.

Both, IMO, are under cooked directly from the can.

Refrigerator will be fine. I would not freeze (for serving at an event, but for home, yes).

I'd just add them on the reheat. I've reheated plenty of chili that I cooked previously and the beans haven't been an issue but it's an easy add, so why risk it?

I think I would add while cooking. The day of the event, things will be hectic trying to serve that many people from a few slow cookers. If you get behind, you don't want to worry about having to cook the beans before serving.

(OK, a sincere apology to those of you who feel bean in chili is on par with one of the worst actions one could take, but, the people at the event expect them...so...beans it is)

So, is the event a farting contest?

I have never had an issue with the beans on a reheat when they were in the original cook. If you really want to impress smoke a brisket for the family and use the left overs for the hamburger in the chili. I started doing that and love it.

I would throw them in as you are finishing up your original cook and when you reheat they should be fine.

I would agree with this so the beans can soak up the flavor too. But if you aren't going to reheat for a long time the day of I would make sure they are cooked up. If you are reheating for a while the day of I may would put them in at the end. I think they will be fine either way with Kidney beans, like previously stated they hold up well.

HI Brethren,

Hope everybody's January is finishing up well. I need some help/tips as I get ready to make a bunch of chili next week.
Several logistic questions to answer?

I need to make way more chili than I normally make. I'm looking to make 4 (or more) slow-cookers of chili to serve a few hundred people at at a tasing event. I know that often chili can be better if it has time to rest/mature/come together.
How long does it take to cook chili in a slow cooker? You may just cook on the day of the event. Yeah, it can taste a little bit better, but how much. See below for other things to think about that may have you just cooking four batches the day of the event.

Here is my idea...
I'm thinking of making the chili during the week and then reheat it on the day of the event. I was thinking of doing a slow-cooker full of chili a few nights next week, then hold it in the fridge until reheating on Saturday.
How long does it take to reheat chili in a slow cooker? Or, do you plan to heat in a pot and transfer to slow cooker? Does the event facility have a place to plug in four crock pots ( I assume crock pots)?

Here is my question...
Should I fully make the chili including the beans or should I add the beans when I reheat??
Put the beans in when cooking and don't look back.

Never understood the bean debate. I can take them or leave them. I figure they are just filler as I do not think they do much to the flavor. Good source of fiber.

I'm worried that the beans might breakdown too much sitting for a few days. FYI - I'm used pre-cooked kidney and pinto beans (GFS canned.)

Thanks for the help.

One other thing for you to think about. The chili that we make at home comes out with the just right consistency, not too runny, not too thick. Once refrigerated, it heats up well in the microwave, but the consistency has gotten thicker. You might need to add some liquid such as beef broth to the mix on reheat. Also, you don't say how long you are going to be serving, so the moisture content may be a problem as the event goes on.

Good luck with your event.

Robert

Back