Chili Everyone Can Hate

oldgfbbq

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
G-man
A couple of weeks ago I made Impossible Chili out of curiosity, the challenge, etc. Some were skeptical, others polite, and some just thought it needed to be hated. So, I kicked it up a notch. Vegetarians would not eat this batch due to some real ground turkey and beef soup base added. Others might hate it due to the Impossible ground "meat" not being real meat. Most liked the vegis so I added more peppers (pablano and habanero). So if that is not enough, the asparagus should move any fence sitters. :-D

Since Costco still had it on sale, I bought a few packages. My motivation is to attack my cholesterol number. I dropped my A1c from 10.5 to 5.2 in four months. What I ate to accomplish that goal created another problem. So, now I'm trying to juggle two primary balls.....blood sugar and cholesterol. We will see what happens. To those still reading, the asparagus was cut up an given to the dogs. I just couldn't stomach the idea of it being in chili, impossible or not.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• chili2hate.jpg
    chili2hate.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 189
G-man, I think I've mentioned this before. It's good your A1C has halved. By increasing your fats and avoiding all free sugars and carbs, your Cholesterol will also correct itself quite quickly. It also means you don't have to have that processed plant material full of various chemicals which in my book is a big problem in todays Standard Western Diet.

Here is all you need to know.

Having said that, I'd give that a try. Even with the asparagus!

Cheers!

Bill

Agree with the OP's thread title. That is all.

On edit, it's very creative if you are trying to lower cholesterol. Think they make a pill for that though.

Which significantly increases your risk of stroke or heart attack. I used to be on all that stuff. Went keto and lost 120#. No meds. Went from being a walking heart attack to being unlikely to have one at all. G-man is doing the right thing, just probs also needs to avoid the processed plant material as well. I'm pretty sure it's high in sugars, so it's actually more harmful than simply good ground beef.

G-man,

You do you.....I don't hate it from here.

Side note: I'm down 70lbs in the last year, and while I don't have the A1C problem, I've battled cholesterol for a long time. I'm on 10mg of Atorvastatin per day.

Last results:
Total = 160
TGL = 84
HDL = 86
LDL = 57

The real thing that I have done is to try and Intermittent fast. I try to eat two times a day, lunch and dinner. A lot of days I try for just dinner. I only drink water throughout the day most days, and I partake in some beers most evenings. Grocery shopping I stick to the outside of the store and avoid processed food. I refuse to eat fake meat, but that's a personal choice. Focus on meat and green vegetables. Only butter and EVOO. No diet or light stuff. Good luck........it's a marathon and not a sprint. Small changes over time add up.

Whatever the chili, I applaud you taking charge of your health. That's one reason I haven't been firing up the grills much. Mostly cooking lighter, short cook stuff. And only for two, it doesn't seem worthwhile to build a fire.

I have had the Impossible Burger and its not bad. Much better than Beyond Meat. That said I prefer 80-20 burger I eat most things so I would give the asparagus a try. Good for you on what You have done G-man

Less processed...

Which significantly increases your risk of stroke or heart attack. I used to be on all that stuff. Went keto and lost 120#. No meds. Went from being a walking heart attack to being unlikely to have one at all. G-man is doing the right thing, just probs also needs to avoid the processed plant material as well. I'm pretty sure it's high in sugars, so it's actually more harmful than simply good ground beef.

Yep...the LESS processed, the better.<P>
And for all veggie "meat" and soon to come...the Lab Grown "real meat" coming...they have to jump through so many hoops to get a viable product out the door...no thanks.

I was doing decently going low carb...and kinda blew it the past couple months..and while my blood numbers didn't go too far back off the rails...my weight did.

I'm trying to get back not only into smoking, but home brewing too.

So, my goal is...to reserve my carb intake for home brewed beer.....
;)

Life is short...gotta find that balance.

cayenne

Shoot, that sounds pretty dang good to me. I'd tear up a bowl of it, even with the ass-per-grass in it.

I wish they would stop calling impossible meat... meat LOL it's NOT MEAT!!!!! I see them impossible commercials on hulu all the time and just wanna smash that guys face in LOL. Good for thinking outta the box though on your medical journey can't hate someone for wanting to improve themselevs.

Last edited:
Agree with the OP's thread title. That is all.

On edit, it's very creative if you are trying to lower cholesterol. Think they make a pill for that though.

Thanks Mike, and you are correct, they make several. Thought I would try the least intervention required to get it under control. It's always been in the upper half of the normal range. My doc agreed that a more conservative approach would be better if it worked.

Dogs will eat asparagus??
Ed

As a kid I thought Purina starved dogs before filming commercials for TV. I thought that until we got our little 14lb silky terrier. She eats voraciously no matter how much or often food is in front of her. She never gave it a second thought. Our 16 year old Shih Tzu....ate around it and the terrier cleaned up after he was done. :-D

G-man,

You do you.....I don't hate it from here.

Side note: I'm down 70lbs in the last year, and while I don't have the A1C problem, I've battled cholesterol for a long time. I'm on 10mg of Atorvastatin per day.

Last results:
Total = 160
TGL = 84
HDL = 86
LDL = 57

The real thing that I have done is to try and Intermittent fast. I try to eat two times a day, lunch and dinner. A lot of days I try for just dinner. I only drink water throughout the day most days, and I partake in some beers most evenings. Grocery shopping I stick to the outside of the store and avoid processed food. I refuse to eat fake meat, but that's a personal choice. Focus on meat and green vegetables. Only butter and EVOO. No diet or light stuff. Good luck........it's a marathon and not a sprint. Small changes over time add up.

That is awesome you found something that works and thanks for the encouragement.

Yep...the LESS processed, the better.<P>
And for all veggie "meat" and soon to come...the Lab Grown "real meat" coming...they have to jump through so many hoops to get a viable product out the door...no thanks.

I was doing decently going low carb...and kinda blew it the past couple months..and while my blood numbers didn't go too far back off the rails...my weight did.

I'm trying to get back not only into smoking, but home brewing too.

So, my goal is...to reserve my carb intake for home brewed beer.....
;)

Life is short...gotta find that balance.

cayenne

I love that approach, reserving carbs/calories/cholesterol etc, for the foods we want to eat, rather than what we are told to eat. It certainly centers the accountability where it belongs.

That's a huge drop in a1c for just changing diet. You must be young. My a1c reached 6.1 and because of my age, my doc put me on wegovy.

Back