Need advise on an Oklahoma Joe Highland for a first offset smoker

Kevin James

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
KJ, Renegade Pit BBQ
So I really want to get my first offset smoker, but due to certain issues there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of options available to me. As much as I would prefer an Old Country Pecos or a more high end smoker with thicker metal and better build quality like a Kat, Lonestar Grill, or a Lang Patio, I can't. The money isn't really the issue , it's other things and I'll get into why none of those are options at the end of this post, but for now I'd like to focus on the question about the Oklahoma Joe Highland which is doable.

So, first and foremost I absolutely recognize that the OK Joe is fairly thin metal, and that you get what you pay for, but I also see that while not cheap there are a ton of mods that I would think (and hope) might be able to turn it into a decent smoker. I was looking at this site https://bbqsmokermods.com/oem-smoker-mods-by-brand/oklahoma-joe-s/highland.html, and was thinking about getting the baffle/tuning plate kit, the water pan, the double deck expansion rack kit, the charcoal basket and the gasket kit. Yes, I realize that the total of the mods is more than the total of the actual smoker itself, but as mentioned above, it seems the OK Joe and these mods is the best option I can actually make work for the foreseeable future. I'd like to hear opinions from some Highland owners, especially anyone with any of these mods. I'm wondering how difficult it is to dial in and hold temps from 200 on the low up to 275 on the high, and if temps are fairly even across the grate with the tuning plate kit.

Why a Pecos is not an option:
It seems the only way to get a Pecos is to buy from Academy Sports. I live in California, and due to our stupid prop 65 law Academy will not ship ANYTHING to California... nothing... I couldn't even buy a pair of sweats or a basketball from them. They simply will not sell and ship anything to anyone in my state. I have a call in to Old Country BBQ pits who manufactures it to see if I can buy from them directly, but I'm not holding my breath as it seems an exclusive product to Academy.

Why a Kat, Lone Star Grill or Lang is not an option right now:
Long story short the thicker metal makes all of them way to heavy. Most of these seem to be somewhere around 600 lbs or more, which means they are not going to be very easy to move. I have an EXTREMELY narrow passage way into my back yard with no more than 24" of clearance, and I also have a ton of work that needs to be done to make my yard even remotely usable as the majority is on a steep slope. I need to have several trees and a huge and ancient water fountain removed, then flatten the whole yard out, and finally pour a big concrete pad. That is going to be expensive and will take me the better part of the next two years to accomplish due to the expense. I would need to be able to get the smoker in and out of my backyard fairly easily as it needs to be gone to pour the concrete later on. I'm just nervous that it will be too difficult trying to move a 600 lb + smoker by myself through a long 24" passage way. Sorry for the long explanation on this part... but that's the honest and real reason why I can't seem to find anything that will work. I plan to get a Kat 20 x 48 after the back yard is done... but that's a long way away and I don't want to wait two years to get an offset. The OK Joe is doable because it's available in my area and at only 178 lb's I can easily move it.

I have an OK Joe Highland and got some stainless plates to do my own baffles. Did some other tweeks (I posted some on this site) and find that it performs well. I can distribute the plates leaving spaces between them to get pretty much even temp. across the cook surface. No problem wit the temp range either. It would be advisable to change the wheels on the cooker if you intend to move it around on anything other than level concrete though.

Only mods I did to mine were gaskets to better seal it up, a convection plate and an additional rack for times a lot of guests are coming over.
My OK Joe likes to run on the hotter side, 275 - 290 which I really like as the smoking/cooking time is less and the meats turn out pretty good. Would I like a much better smoker...oh heck yes...but to me, can't justify the expense and anyway, the family and friends love the que it puts out.
Yes, It pretty easy to move around. Have had mine for three years now, going into the fourth year, has only needed some painting. You will need help putting it together, not easy

Last edited:
Kevin, First, Welcome to the BBQ Brethren!
You are going to find some great, helpful, and funny people here, and the knowledge you will get will really help you.
I have a couple of friends who also chose the OK Joe Highland because of limitations but as time went on, and with a few mods they really like them. Ya gotta start somewhere and for the price and its ability it fits the bill.
I dont think there is many here who dont have their "Dream" smoker in their minds, but will work with what they can to enjoy the Art of the Que untill they can get that "Perfect one".

I've had an OK Joe Highland for about 2.5 years now. The mods I did were:
-Gaskets on the cook chamber and firebox lids.
-Added an "elbow flange" to the inside of the cook chamber to draw heat closer to the cook rack.
- Wrapped the firebox cooking grate in foil to use as a baffle between the cook chamber and firebox (this is a really cheap option you could try before buying tuning plates if you want to).
- Applied high temp silicone around the outside firebox and smoke stack.

I like to smoke at around 250, and with really small splits I can hold temps between 235-265 with the firebox door open (for steady active flame) and adding splits every 15-20 minutes.
While I love tending the fire, I find that the constant attention needed to maintain temps on this cooker makes it very difficult to prepare side dishes while running it.

I also have a WSM that I bought about a year ago. I like that it needs a lot less attention to maintain temp. I can use lump charcoal with wood chunks in that and get a very similar flavor profile to my OK Joe offset, allowing time to work on side dishes.

If your thinking of getting a coal basket and cooking with coal, you may want to consider going in the direction of a WSM instead of an OK Joe. I would love to shell out big bucks and get a high end offset some day, but my budget won't allow it at this time. I found the WSM to be an excellent alternative.

Just my 2 cents' worth.

Good luck and Happy Smoking!

Go pit barrel for the same price or close to it and get a much more capable cooker, I would have never purchased my longhorn if pitbarrel was out back in the day. Saying that now I have a large offset and a pitbarrel.

Thanks for the feedback guys (and keep it coming!) I just got in to a super busy work day so I will have to come back to this thread later tonight when I get home but wanted to address a few things quickly...

ChrisBarb: I saw the Reverse Flow model... but the baffles it uses look really cheap and I'd rather just get the better quality baffle kit. Plus nobody carries the reverse flow version locally and I don't want UPS or Fedex to get their hands on my smoker and damage it which they are SO good at doing lol.

DJ321: I do actually have WSM 22.5 which I bought about 6 months ago, and while I like it, I want something with more space which the highland with the expanded grate kit will give me. Also, I find I need to refuel for long smokes like a brisket (using RO Briquets, haven't tried lump yet), and mine seems to run hot and I'm constantly adjusting vents like every 15 - 20 minutes. It honestly seems like an offset wouldn't necessarily be that much more tending to the fire than I'm already doing on the WSM. I did buy (but haven't yet installed) a gasket kit, a steel door and I have a fireboard that I bought a drive kit and a guru fan for... and if I ever get around to installing all of that it may help, but honestly I'm not 100% satisfied with the smoke flavor I'm getting on the WSM... just not enough for my taste, and I'm just really jonesing to try an offset. Plus... The WSM isn't going anywhere, nothing wrong with options.

Lots of those near me for $184. One was even $71 but said sold out.

Edit: Near you for $184 too - West Sacramento and one other - in stock.

LSG has a nice all terrain wheel kit but it isn't cheap. I have the 8" wheels and actually wish I didn't as the smoker is top heavy. That being said I bring it in and out of my garage every time I use it, until I get my back yard in order (also a slope issue that will be resolved this spring).

So things just got interesting. I heard back from Old Country BBQ Pits who manufactures the Pecos. There's good news and there's bad news. The good news is that they can sell me a Pecos directly and the price is the same, $400. The bad news is it would also cost another $400 for them to ship it to me for a door to door total of $800. So I have some serious thinking to do.

On the surface, that just sounds crazy when I can get the OK Joe for $402 out the door with tax, assembly and delivery. But I'm actually thinking pretty hard about it and may just end up going for it for the following reasons:
  • The Pecos is slightly thicker metal than the OK Joe. While Academy's site says the barrel is 14 gauge with 11 gauge doors the guy I spoke with at OCBP said the entire unit including the barrel is 11 gauge.
  • The Pecos is all welded construction, no bolt on parts and the fire box is all one piece unlike the OK Joe.
  • The stack is at grate level and much bigger diameter for better air flow.
  • For $400 on the shipping, they are going to enclose it in a full wooden crate, then put it on a pallet and onto the truck, so there are zero concerns over it being damaged in shipping. From a thread I saw on a Brazos that was damaged in shipping, that is NOT how it would be shipped if I could buy directly from Academy, and I would be worried about shipping damage. Academy also charges $150 for shipping, so while this is a little over double the shipping cost, it's also much better packaging and gives enough piece of mind that I would have to think about this option even if I could buy from Academy and save a little cash. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter how good the smoker is if you can't get it to your door undamaged and I HATE dealing with refusing packages, or settling for something with damage even if it's just minor cosmetic damage.

The one thing that sucks is I really liked some of the mods available for the Highland at BBQsmokermods.com like the expansion rack kit which is not available for the Pecos. While the tuning plate kit is available, it doesn't fit straight from the manufacturer and needs to be modified which sounds like a pain. But with all the mods I would buy for the Highland, the total cost to get it and add all the mods would be $755, including the expansion rack kit, the tuning plate kit, the water pan that goes with the tuning plate kit, and the gasket material. So at that point it would end up costing almost the same as getting the Pecos crated and shipped to me and the Pecos is a better built unit. For the Pecos, I would just end up getting the gasket material since I don't want to deal with modding the tuning plate kit, and they don't have the expansion rack kit available. I would just need to figure something out later to add a second rack and have some tuning plates made.

Decisions decisions.... leaning towards the Pecos though. Apparently it's what Aaron Franklin used in his BBQ with Franklin Youtube video series a few years ago, and if it's good enough for him for a personal back yard rig... I think that's probably enough to sell me on it. I still want the Kat 20x48 eventually though lol.

Take a 3-day weekend 'vacation' and go to some adjoining state without California's crazy laws, load your smoker on a U-haul trailer, and return home.

The other option is what I did with a motorcycle. Rented a pickup from Hertz/Avis/National and drove to Salt Lake, UT and loaded it in the back and drove home. Pretty painless if you ask me since I didn't own a pickup at the time.

I didn’t read the whole thing. But I’ve got an OK Joe Highland Reverse flow and love it. Currently have pork belly burnt ends on it. Good introduction to burning sticks if you want to maybe go that route. Mods are of course optional, but the high heat RTV sealing is pretty important. It’s a brilliant cooker if you want to tend a fire a lil bit whole drinking adult wiggly pops.

And mods I did:
Gasket kit - it seemed to burn off. Dunno if needed
Hi Temp RTV - This is a must do.
BBQ Smoker Mods Reverse Flow Plate - Just got this the other day and first cook now. Needs a lil mod to fit around those 2 bolts. Gives much more space under grates. Looks to be good mod.
Those door holder downer clamp things - I bought them, but never installed them. Door seals fine so no need.

The proper cover is the best cover ever, and just $50 for something solid and elaborate.

Back