THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LYU370

Resident Idjit
Staff member

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Andy
Slap a temp probe in a chuckie ready to go on the FEC, grab the InkBird thermo and it doesn't turn on. Change batteries, still dead. Bummer I think I killed another one, root around the drawers and find a ChefAlarm. Hmmm, I thought those were dead, install some batteries and it starts beeping. Temp probe reads 700 degrees, but no temp probe is installed. Take out the batteries, in the garbage it goes.

TL;DR

So what are all the cool, kids using for a thermo these days? Anything to stay away from? Preferably something waterproof, I think that's how I keep ruining all my thermos. WiFi would be good too.

I use a Smoke X4 and a Thermapen. Honestly I use them more than the MAK’s built in probes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I have the fireboard. The new version is waterproof without the ridiculous $60 case that I had to buy for mine. The display still feels like it's RadioShack, but at least they moved to Top Shelf Radioshack. The app, however, is fantastic.

I have the Smoke and Signals from Thermoworks. The Smoke is a tank. I don't have to use the Wifi much so Signals hasn't gotten the use the Smoke has.

I don't take any chances...

Jxuko5k.jpg

I'm sure mine was ruined by moisture. I had one of the original ones which are not waterproof. Not sure if the newer ones are.
My original Inkbird is still working. My new Inkbird is waterproof.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

This is Oksana from Inkbird,may I ask which model you have? and how many times have you used it and found that it can't be charged ?

Little over three years.

Sounds like the batteries leaked and corroded the terminals especially if it got wet. If you had the InkBird Wi-Fi it has built in rechargeable lithium batteries and is rain proof. Sounds like you had an older Bluetooth unit.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=286402

This one in the review is Solid and available at 50% off with code from KenInk at this time.

Have you been in the Malort again? :grin:

This is Oksana from Inkbird,may I ask which model you have? and how many times have you used it and found that it can't be charged ?

It's the original 6 probe non waterproof, non rechargeable model. I've used it a LOT. I'm pretty sure it was rained on during my last cook and that probably fried out the innards.

Sounds like the new ones are waterproof, may have to check them out.

I use a Smoke X4 and a Thermapen. Honestly I use them more than the MAK’s built in probes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is what I use too. I have an original Smoke as well but the range on it doesn't work very well going through the two walls it has to go through.

I also have a Maverick 732 which I had first and it works pretty good but the setup is not as user friendly as the Smoke alarms.

Back