THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, I actually contacted him for the info. I truly wanted the info because I've been wanting to try and cook some good quality meat. I'm glad I did though. He was very helpful and seemed to care about me getting some good meat to cook. I didn't / don't feel "Played". All good though.

And on my word, Scott didn't push me to do anything other than share with my "friends" and folks that wanted some quality Wagyu like I did. He didn't pressure me at all or seem to be "playing" me at all.

Anyway...Seems like the Mods and Admin are okay with it which Is good.

All good :)

Truthfully...would you call it Wagyu?

Have you had any other experience with other "premium" brands?

Is this the first time you've bought, "wagyu"??? I only ask this just to let everyone know.

Is this your first "wagyu", purchase??

Swole may have a different experience but from what I've seen...and I'm being honest on "my", sight. Those briskets are very low Prime...at best.

I've seen better Choice + at a butcher down here.

Don't go all crazy on me, Offshore...It is what it is.

I ain't got no doctorate in cattle raising but I know what a good piece of meat looks like.

What is the wager? 10k? What's the criteria? Are we going to measure lines and ask customers their take? Or...is this something to simply jack someone off?

How many do u plan on cooking? 10? 20?

I'll take u up on that bet when the lsg cabinet gets here. We'll do 10 and measure the lines.

Late to the party here but perhaps a Throwdown Grudge match. :boxing:

Is this the first time you've bought, "wagyu"??? I only ask this just to let everyone know.

are you saying it's not wagyu? wagyu from my understanding is not a grade, but a breed, mind you, I agree, from the pics I have seen it does't look like anything special, but that is just my eyes on a pic.

Wagyu is a breed. The grading ranges from 5+ (which is slightly above prime) to 10+ (which is the swiss cheese with liver coloring that tastes like organ meat).

A typical wagyu herd at 28 months will grade out at roughly 45% 5+ 40% 6-7+ 10% 8+ and 5% above 8+

Every six month after you could expect those groupings to go up one slot.

here in the states ... 4 or 5 ranches raise wagyu cattle. its highly unlikely many people at all have purchased it other than at a restaurant because there is presently 40,000 wagyu cattle total (including bulls and breeding cows). heavy lobbying has resulted in any cow that can be proven to have 47% wagyu can be sold as wagyu and thus what most people have tried or buy.

This particular source simply dumped off briskets in a bin and boxed them up previously. using the statistics of the above stated one can reasonably assume that out of 10 cases of 4 briskets there are 4 or 5 briskets which are 8+ and above. The rest is easy math.

Last edited:
Swole may have a different experience but from what I've seen...and I'm being honest on "my", sight. Those briskets are very low Prime...at best.

I've seen better Choice + at a butcher down here.

Don't go all crazy on me, Offshore...It is what it is.

I ain't got no doctorate in cattle raising but I know what a good piece of meat looks like.

im not going to go all crazy. Swoles does look lean. I'll send him another one. I posted a photo of one i trimmed up a page 14. The thing with wagyu the intramuscular fat melts when it gets warm - room temperature.

someone has a case of 8's somewhere... its a crapshoot.

Last edited:
47% waygu?

How can you put a percentage on a hybrid. Its like saying your car is 47% gas Electric hybrid.

Oh and did offshore finally admit to working for Morgan

I ordered a case of Morgan Ranch brisket and cooked one yesterday. my camera took a chit a while back and my windows phone doesn't like photobucket so no pics. With 4 of them to cook, and being one to experiment, this one was trimmed with a heavy hand. next one will get minimal trim.
Observations
-68.7 lb box, 17lb avg bigger than expected
-13-14 lbs after trim(guessing)
-a nice layer of soft fat
-normal hard fat in between point and flat
-flat was large in size but thin
-although thin, flat was same thickness throughout
-some marbling
-point was big

Opinion
- I have cooked SRF and IBP prime.
- The point on this one had a lot more meat than the SRF and much less fat.
- With 2 day air it worked out to 9$ a pound, cheaper than what I paid for SRF but more than the IBP prime that is always in the cooler a couple miles away.
- Based on this first one I would go get the prime when ready to drop big money on a brisket.
- Choosing between SRF and Morgan would be a toss up better flat SRF, better point Morgan

I have cooked about 20 choice brisket from sams, 1 SRF, 1 morgan ranch keep that in mind when reading this Aaron Franklin I am not. I am trying to find the best brisket for the price. Shipping is what will probably steer me away from Morgan in the future.

47% waygu?

How can you put a percentage on a hybrid. Its like saying your car is 47% gas Electric hybrid.

Oh and did offshore finally admit to working for Morgan

Since you're obviously the resident expert you can find published references to anything I've posted concerning cattle on the USDA website and many others.

I work for a major energy company and serve as a marine constructoin engineering consultant... you know.. on little equipment with daily expenses exceeding $1million.

In my off time I can often be found surveying plats and proposed foundation locations for Habitat for Humanity leading to eventual shotgun homes in our horribly impoverished areas such as New Orleans' lower 9th ward while sharing bbq with the residents.

I simply offered one of my own to replace his bad luck cooking and what appears to be a lean example.

But... since you obviously already know... I wouldn't have to say that..

Btw... the 47% number simply represents the typical sample of most any bovine on the planet exhibiting a few percentage points of another breeds characteristics combined together. This is breeding 101 stuff.

If u need an example - a 97% DNA verified Angus with a 97% wagyu = equals what?

I both encourage and enjoy a vigorous debate and/or discussion about anything and everything. Dissent is good. If you would like to discuss anything and everything with factual relevance I'm happy to respond. Posting negative nancy stuff and purposely fabricating things about me, my life, or my employment is a no no according to the rules here.

Lastly, reading through the published rules I wonder when you'll get a warning.

Thanks for chiming in. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

Yes Sir. Other than this purchase and the one I smoked Thurs., I'd only cooked "Choice" briskets from Food Depot (local grocery chain).

So, I truly have nothing to compare it too, nor can I personally call it anything other than what I'm told it is. I TRUST that I've been given / told truthful information though.

But I'm looking forward to someone FAR more knowledgable about Beef than me to shed some light after they've cooked one from Morgans.

Either way, based on what I've tasted with my semi decent cook, I'll be purchasing again when these run out. I just don't have to coin to spend on one $200+ brisket. (Don't really need to be spending this on Morgans either, but it was so tempting..lol ) Glad I tried it.

I ordered a case of Morgan Ranch brisket and cooked one yesterday. my camera took a chit a while back and my windows phone doesn't like photobucket so no pics. With 4 of them to cook, and being one to experiment, this one was trimmed with a heavy hand. next one will get minimal trim.
Observations
-68.7 lb box, 17lb avg bigger than expected
-13-14 lbs after trim(guessing)
-a nice layer of soft fat
-normal hard fat in between point and flat
-flat was large in size but thin
-although thin, flat was same thickness throughout
-some marbling
-point was big

Opinion
- I have cooked SRF and IBP prime.
- The point on this one had a lot more meat than the SRF and much less fat.
- With 2 day air it worked out to 9$ a pound, cheaper than what I paid for SRF but more than the IBP prime that is always in the cooler a couple miles away.
- Based on this first one I would go get the prime when ready to drop big money on a brisket.
- Choosing between SRF and Morgan would be a toss up better flat SRF, better point Morgan

I have cooked about 20 choice brisket from sams, 1 SRF, 1 morgan ranch keep that in mind when reading this Aaron Franklin I am not. I am trying to find the best brisket for the price. Shipping is what will probably steer me away from Morgan in the future.

Great post...Thank you!

So if I read that right, you like the Morgans but probably won't purchase in the future due to having the IBP Primes just down the road (no shipping) which works out to less $ per pound for close quality meat??

If that's the case, I can certainly understand that. But, Thank you for your post.

OH!!! don't forget though. I used Ground 3 day shipping and it worked out great for WAY less money....Just a thought

I feel the need to add this and hope Scott is okay with me doing so.

From one of his text to me just before receiving my briskets, he said this;

" Anxious to hear what you think of the product....and Remember, that is our "run of the mill" product, not our Premium".

So, Morgans Ranch / Scott has even better grades to sell...I'm sure they'll be more than $6/lb. but I never got pricing for that.

I know this thread has upset a few folks and probably kept a few from making a purchase. Just do yourself a favor and text / call Scott and just talk to him. Let your decision be based on what YOU hear from him and what he has to sell. (Again, I'm NOT pushing anyone that way, just hate it that this thread turned south like it did). I just wanted everyone, including myself to have a good time smoking some good Que and a decent price. :)

Cheers everyone!!! Have a great weekend!!

David

Great post...Thank you!

So if I read that right, you like the Morgans but probably won't purchase in the future due to having the IBP Primes just down the road (no shipping) which works out to less $ per pound for close quality meat??

If that's the case, I can certainly understand that. But, Thank you for your post.

OH!!! don't forget though. I used Ground 3 day shipping and it worked out great for WAY less money....Just a thought

That is correct, if I were to order again I would wait until winter and go with the ground ship. Definitely won't feel good about brisket sitting in a truck, in the south, for three days until nov-dec. Its in the high 80's here today.

That is correct, if I were to order again I would wait until winter and go with the ground ship. Definitely won't feel good about brisket sitting in a truck, in the south, for three days until nov-dec. Its in the high 80's here today.

ive requested that dry ice packs be placed in the box. Now ... whether or not someone is ok with the actual usda sealed box being opened is not for me to say.

Im in zone 9 just like yourself ironmanerik .. and get pork shipped to me ground from iowa (3 days) and is still perfectly frozen solid upon its arrival here... but it has several dry ice packs in the cooler.

That could be an option if you so chose.

Back