My old Texas recipe...................:)-

HEB fajitas are ok, but much like all pre-marinated packaged meat, all I taste is the marinade/seasoning.

A buddy of mine grew up in deep South Texas and on fajitas and he just shakes his head at people paying more for skirt than sirloin.

I love me some Canre Asada. I live in New Jersey so I would be happy to have the opinion of those from Texas and Mexico. I take some skirts, stick them in a big zip lock and pour in a marinade.

Marinade:
2 oranges juiced
2 lemons juiced
2 limes juiced
1 onion and a few cloves of garlic chopped up
3 chipoltle peppers in adabo
a bit of salt, pepper, cumin and olive oil
a good bunch of chopped cilantro

Soak it over night with the fruit skins then grill it on a hot flame until medium rare. Let it sit a spell then slice on the bias against the grain. Serve on warm tortillas with fresh salsa, some guacamole and a bit of sour cream. Wash it down with a cold beer and and it don't get much better that.

I'm I in the ballpark for a Yankee?

Hell HEB period is the bomb. Ok ok TX is the bomb. I'm not only saying that cuz I fly back to Seattle from Dallas in the morning. (sucks to be me)

I love me some Canre Asada. I live in New Jersey so I would be happy to have the opinion of those from Texas and Mexico. I take some skirts,

You went off track after this.....

Loose the orange and lemon and oil for sure. Cilantro and onion are for the tacos not the meat. Next time try lime juice (lots), salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder, little cumin.

Skirt prep is a big part of it too. Trim off the layer of whatever that lining is, and butterfly the thick ends. Grill hot and fast like you are.

Your marinade sounds good but is not the way it's done around here.

And yes, HEB pre-seasoned chicken thigh fajitas are the bomb. Glad I can admit that publicly now:)

Can't rain on my parade, I looked for "SKIRT" in 3 places, just that here in OHIO(shudder), they don't keep a lot of good stuff. So, I got Chix. Not Beef, but still very flavorful and has "MY" recipe on it...:icon_devil
I've posted the finish ,so go look at that and DROOL!!!:icon_cool

I'm drooling:biggrin:!

The best fajitas I have ever had come from Los Portales in Matamoros. I don't think they marinade at all. They just season the meat, pound it thin and then grill over mesquite coals. They do a good job on cabrito.

Back