My First Post: Pork butt on the Weber

chichas01

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Chichas
Hello! Been a member here for a while but this is my first post. I've done a few butts on my Performer but tried something different for this one.
Started off last night (after sending the wife and kids off to Vegas for the next week) by getting the meat injected. I checked out this post -http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130672- and modified the injection a little. I used apple juice, pepsi, worschestershire, salt, sugar and good 1/4 cup of Jameson for good measure ;). Also threw in a capful of liquid smoke...just seemed like a good idea at the time.

I made up a batch of rub, from an article I found on another Chris Lilly recipe,coated the butt and left it in the fridge overnight.

I got the Weber going this morning around 5AM using about 15 Kingsford comp briquettes and dumped them in when ready over more briquettes with apple and cherry wood chunks. One thing about the briquettes, I had a bunch of half to quarter used left over from the last time I used the Weber so I just used those with the wood and the 15 new coals. Not sure if this will cause any issues with heat control but I've got the day off to do nothing but babysit this thing so I figure "why not?"

Here is a shot of the butt before going on the grill. Enjoy!
IMAG0092.jpg

Every thing sounded great except the liquid smoke. But it sounds like an interesting concoction to say the least! Look forward to the finished pics!!!

Funny, I just knew that the liquid smoke would raise some eyebrows. I've used it on the outside of a butt when I've done Hawaiian style wrapped in ti and banana leaves. I tested the injection before use and it actually had a really good flavor. One capful of the liquid smoke didn't overpower it at all. Taste will tell!

Oh, it's not so bad. My wife gets nice trip out of town and the house to see some family and I get to bbq, work on cars and watch all the sci-fi and horror movies that she won't watch with me.

Butt is up to 167 and looking nice!

IMAG0093.jpg

Funny, I just knew that the liquid smoke would raise some eyebrows. I've used it on the outside of a butt when I've done Hawaiian style wrapped in ti and banana leaves. I tested the injection before use and it actually had a really good flavor. One capful of the liquid smoke didn't overpower it at all. Taste will tell!

Don't missunderstand me at all, if it works for you, go for it! I just don't understand why liquid smoke would be used if you're smoking the butt on the Weber to begin with is all. I could totaly see it if it was oven braised pork.

So far, it's looking marvelous. Look forward to the finished pics!!!

no worries CQ no offense taken :), i thought the same thing as well but figured I'd try it and see. Smoke on the outside more on the inside, can't be all that bad lol

Looks like I just passed the stall. 174 and climbing finally after sitting for 2 hours at 167.

Back