THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wbzipf

Full Fledged Farker
So here is my first attempt at pizza on the WSCG.

The setup was I used the lower charcoal grate level with the diffuser plate, and added some kingsford and a bit of that new charbroil lump (interesting product, very homogeneous size, but expensive).

I made a white sauce veggie pizza for my wife and a pepperoni mushroom pizza for me and my son.

Heated the WSCG above 600 f (which I now realize is difficult to see in the following picture)

image_zpssqxrrxdf.jpeg

Put on the stone

image_zpsnhh8sxar.jpeg

White pizza mid cook.

image_zpswjpdywru.jpeg

Pepperoni mushroom nearly done

image_zpswxxvrxwh.jpeg

White pizza done

image_zps1dafrc9k.jpeg

Pepperoni mushroom done

image_zps5dz4gzih.jpeg

Crust check (white pizza)

image_zpsjmwtdhlm.jpeg

All in all it was a sucessful outing. I actually intended to make three pizzas, but ruined the first effort (cheese pizza) by not letting the crust cook fully before trying to remove the pan and have the crust crisp up directly on the stone. I also think 600 f is to high a temp to cook this pizza, as the toppings cooked so much faster than the crust. Oh well something to work on.

One last thought, I didn't have the "wood fired" taste I was looking for, so next time I will put in some wood chunks before I throw on the pie.

why did you heat the grill and then put the stone in? I think that explains why your toppings finished before the crust. That stone needs to be screaming hot when the pie goes on...

Well, I didn't expect the grill to get up to temp that fast, and you are probably right. The first pie I did was the worst (when the stone had only been on the grill for 15min). The last pie was the best.

For a first time on the grill I think it was a success, the first pizza was a learning experience and number 2 and 3 look great. Thanks for sharing.

All in all, a pretty good first effort on a brand new grill. My tips,

As mentioned, heat the stone longer to make sure it is up to grill temp before putting the pizza on it.

Skip the metal pan, that is just another cold thing that needs to come up to temp while your toppings are (over) cooking.

Use parchment or butcher paper which provides very little thermal mass or insulation between the stone and dough.

You also probably do not need the deflector under the stone. That will contribute to the toppings cooking faster than the crust.

You also probably do not need the deflector under the stone. That will contribute to the toppings cooking faster than the crust.

That will result in the opposite problem, burnt crust & raw toppings; a deflector, second stone or plate setter or something (with an air gap in between) is necessary when cooking pizza over a direct wood fire

That will result in the opposite problem, burnt crust & raw toppings; a deflector, second stone or plate setter or something (with an air gap in between) is necessary when cooking pizza over a direct wood fire

I can assure you that you are very much incorrect. With sufficient distance between the fire and the stone, you can often get better results without a deflector. I have plenty of successful pizza cooks on a number of different devices that allow me to say that with absolute certainty. With the fire grate in the low position in the WSCG, I would try without the deflector. I can't guarantee success because I have never cooked on WSCG and the cooking temp is important as well, but it is something that works on other grills and is worth trying while climbing the learning curve of this new grill.

The technique for perfect crust is going to vary with different dough recipes and personal tastes and desires, but there is going to be one or more balance points between cook temp and grill config that will yield your desired crust and perfectly done toppings. Keep trying and you will find it.

That pizza looks amazing!

For what it's worth, I usually allow 30 minute for my stone to heat up. (if you have an infrared thermometer, that helps a lot too. They are cheap these days.)

I did a papa murphy's pizza the other day using no stone and JUST a metal pan (With heat deflector). My family likes the pan pizza texture. it turned out great. Maybe you just kind of have to pick between the two (pan vs stone). No need for both.

Yes, depending on your taste, try stone, pan or pizza screens and see what you get. You will almost certainly need a deflector for a pan or screen unless you have the fire low and add a raised grid way up in the dome.

Great looking pies! Putting a cold stone on a hot fire can cause the stone to crack. It needs to go on as soon as you close it to build temp. I put corn meal on the stone to keep the pie from sticking and put the pie on without a pan.

All great tips here. Pizza stone on as soon as your fire is built. Once the temp hits 600 let it go for awhile to make sure stone is up to temp evenly. Can use a heat gun to check stone. 600 is a great pizza temp for most doughs. I have cooked as high as 1000. Neopolitin style. And as low as 450. 600 for my pizzas were perfect..... And yes don't use a pan. Go straight to the stone, Cornmeal the stone, use parchment paper for the first 3-4 minutes. Turn pizza while cooking 1/4 turn at a time. Use 00 flour. And lump is way better than briquettes for this.

Thanks, all. These are great tips and I will apply them in my next pizza cook.

The good news is that it was sucessful enough that my daughter (12 years old) wants to make it a regular event, like once a month homemade pizza nights.

Back