THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mchar69

Quintessential Chatty Farker
zvlhQI7l.jpg

Is this a tri- tip?

D7hSyK1l.jpg

Salted in the morning, carne crosta in the afternoon.

SdBXD4Bl.jpg

gjL9N2Zl.jpg

uOvFfmql.jpg

7pxeJDfl.jpg

This beef had excellent flavor, and I got it from Urban Butcher in Bethesda, MD, who
say they get there stuff from Creekstone Farms.

This does NOT look like a tri-tip to me - grain direction was ONE way.

but it was SO flavorful, I dont care. It was a gift card.
The pre salting is the way to go -

1/4 tsp Kosher salt (I use more) per pound hours before cooking BEEF is a big winner with me.

Last edited:
Interesting, it wasn't tough at all, but certainly no rib-eye. But this does NOT look like tri-tips I see here.
The flavor was really good.

My main question is this a tri-tip? Just because the label says so..

and YES, SRM
I wanted to burn the outside properly with the Carne Crosta but I was

not perfect and too late and I opted to pull the whole thing at like 129 after a light sear.
I still do not think this is a legit tri-tip.
FLAVOR was off the hook, so I have no complaints, especially since a client gave me a gift card!

It does look a little suspect almost looks like a sirloin cap? Or maybe it’s half a tritip? Either way looks like good eats. I’d smash:grin:

Looks like a tri tip to me (butcher rounded off on the tip and on the base). FWIW: Sometimes the grain turns; sometimes it doesn't. As for appearances, sometimes they look like Bigfoot's foot; other times they like like like a perfect 30/60/90 right triangle. It all depends on who is doing the cutting.

You cooked it right and cut it right. Cutting it correctly is even more important than how you cook it IMHO. Nicely done!

Yes, that is a tri tip. Mike summed it up nicely, looks like the meat cutter rounded it all up to make it look nicer. The grain definitely doesn't change as much as most of them do. But no doubt about it being a tri tip.

In the third pic, you can see the far right side the grain is running more vertical, on the far left side the grain is running more horizontal.

Agree with you guys, but $15/lb is a little too much for me.

I certainly agree with you there, at that price point there should of been a LOT more marbling, as in high grade prime. That cut looks to me like a decent select or low grade choice. When I shop for select tri tips, I look for the ones that have far more marbling than the one in this pic. I am currently paying $4.99/lb for select tri-tips here in Austin, TX, and I won't bite unless they are very well marbled. I pass on 15-20 before I find "the one".The trim job is what drove the price so high for this particular roast I'm thinking.

The end results are golden though, great job cooking that one.

Not sure that’s 100% Tri-tip. If you look close, there is a separation of muscles with a layer of fat in between. Kinda like on a mini brisket. There’s a kind of cap on that thing. Tri-tip is one muscle with a change in the direction of the grain. I’ve never seen a Tri-tip where the grain doesn’t change direction. Anatomy is anatomy and I’ve cooked and sliced many in my days...
Looks super tasty and cooked to perfection though.

So whatever it was tasted great - I made Steak and CHeese =mushrooms, onions,

Provolone, and scooped out the innards of a baguette -

that was the best S+C I have ever had.
I had one thin slice today to check -the pre-salt gives it flavor.

I MUST REPEAT - SALT your BEEF early.
Osmosis draws moisture out, then sucks that salty moisture back in. That takes time.
A cut like this - salt in the morning. A large cut like Prime Rib - do it the night before.
The flavor is incredible.

Last edited:
Back