THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BobBrisket

Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Bob
Here ya go Pheasant. Let me just say that I got original specs from Swamprb and then adapted from there. Here are the specs I went with. They are a combo of the ones Brian gave me and the ones I used.

Drum Height:26.5", Drum Diameter:14.5".

Intakes: 3 intakes at 11/16ths size. They are drilled 2.5" from the bottom. Grate is 2.5" from top. There is 5" of clearance from the grate to inside top of Weber lid.

Basket: I used a 24"L X 12"W sheet of expando from Lowe's. Rolled lengthwise held together with 4 bolts. Coal support is actually the bottom portion of a Mini Heineken keg with a whole bunch of holes drilled in it. That's all I could find and I did not feel like welding anything. My idea for the coal basket was to have something like a charcoal chimmney so that it would burn more like a candle using the Minion. I wanted more surface area from top to bottom. The basket is ~7" in diameter and the diameter of the drum is 14.5. My thinking was I could bank things around the edge of the grate and not have them directly over the basket. Works great. Held 250-300 (only had spikes when removing lid, otherwise was more like 250 rock solid)like a champ and went a little over 5 hours or so on a 2/3rds full basket of lump and briq's with about 4-5 lit coals.
Here's a few pics of the drum and basket.

4512337790_d3b88b7c53_o.jpg

Blitz pan that I put in at the bottom. It does not block the intakes.
4511697221_23ba54aa0c_o.jpg

4512337744_f8122fe487_o.jpg

Inside. You can see three metal screws down at the bottom. Those are the intake locations.
4512339274_3a22306c08_o.jpg

Will be mounting a perm therm later and maybe putting a second set of grate bolts about 1.5" further down for more grate to lid clearance.
4511699205_af937b4a90_o.jpg

Big and Little
4512114843_f69d7c876a_o.jpg

Hope it helps. Any ?'s, just ask.

Bob

Here's a close up Phu. Just a long strip of sheet metal that's just a bit wider than the vent hole. I then round of the edges and bend the top end. Then just a self tapping screw. I've never had any problems with them. You could use a nut and bolt too along with a drill bit. If you use the self tapping screws, be careful not to overdrill them or the will strip the hole and will not hold tight after that.
I'm a big fan of those self tapping ones. I use those farkers for everything!:-D
If you got anymore ?'s, lemme know, Bro!

Bob

Back