THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just out of curiousity... does anyone just smoke the whole spare? If not... why not? I'm not big fan of the little knuckle things myself, but the meat around them is very tender and flavorful.

Yeah, I do. Love that full-fat untrimmed messy slab of greasy perfection. Rip a side right off the poor pig and toss it in the smoker.:biggrin:

I do like full un trimmed spares-this is all I ever saw as a yout growing up in South Georgia. Nothing like going face-down in all that pig grease, and knawing the good meat off the gristle and "knuckles" and things.

I cut spares into St. Louise style for comps. Otherwise, you can cook the whole slab. But be prepared to have a couple of tough spots that will cook a lot quicker.

Just out of curiousity... does anyone just smoke the whole spare? If not... why not? I'm not big fan of the little knuckle things myself, but the meat around them is very tender and flavorful.

I usually smoke the whole spare (just trim the skirt) and I've never had any complaints. There's still a lot of good meat there.

I do normally. This weekend I'll trim the full slab down to St Louis if I can't find fresh rib tips at Peoria (they've started carrying fresh tips again, but who kno for how long). If I can find fresh tips, I'll buy country-style ribs and serve those with the tips. Otherwise I know Peoria carries fresh whole slabs.

Incidentally, does anyone ever cook a pork belly? What Peoria set out on the table seems to be uncut bacon still attached to the sparerib cut...

Thanks for the question, Chris. And thanks for the pics and tips, everyone else. It gives me new hope for my ribs. And shows me how to get snacks during the cook. :biggrin:

I buy the whole slab,(saves a few bucks a slab) only take a few minutes to St Louis them. 2 Main cuts and a few chop for the riblets. Add your favority RUB to the bigger slabs and spicy RUB the riblets and any breast bone...The riblets might take a little longer, but they are worth it...Switch the RUBS is they like spicy but someone always thinks they are tooo spicy or not enough..Everybody gets to eat ribs..

For show and go I cut them too!

But for family and friends and convenience with NOT having to take the time/cost or cutting them, spares is what you'll be served off my pits, thank you very much!

I would prefer for baby backs to be down at $2.79/lb, but until that miracle happens I'll stick with spares at $1.97/lb.

Full slabs are 2.49 a LB,and BBs are 4.99 and up. the really teeeny ones are 9.99 a LB here in New York.. 20 pounds of ribs can cost me $160.00 or I can do it for $ 50.00...Your choice..

I learned to make the saint louis spares in the packing house. about 15 years of it. Thand goodness we got bought out and it closed down. I hated that hog packing house.

LG now life is good.

Back