Moving a Heavy Smoker Down to a Walkout Basement

One other thing that needs to be considered is how hard is the ground that you will be moving the smoker across. If the ground is soft, the wheels may sink into the ground deep enough to a point where the smoker gets stuck.

I appreciate all the feedback.

I hadn't considered this. That's not a bad idea. Although, it does make me worry a bit about liability. If they did drop the thing and even if they did cover damage, I'd hate to ruin the smoker. Although, I guess these things are built pretty tough and maybe damage to the smoker in a tilt situation isn't that likely.

The hired movers idea makes me wonder if it would actually be easier to walk it down while it's still crated rather than unpacked and on wheels?

The knowledge, experience, equipment, strong backs, and liability insurance are the reasons you hire professionals.

If you're worried about licensed, insured professionals moving your cooker just think about a few hold my beer types making the move.

random ideas....

Get the wheel adapters that move the wheels out a couple inches for better stability. check out you tube for videos on this.

Long heavy duty rope connected to a car that can slowly back up with it to control the decent speed.

Rent a tractor with forks. I have one and that is how I move things by myself.

Hire some moving folks. There are plenty of budget movers that can bring out a few strong folks to move it. Might be worth asking how much they would charge.

random ideas....

"Rent a tractor with forks. I have one and that is how I move things by myself."

I wouldn't recommend this unless the person renting is familiar with operating a tractor. If the slope is as steep as the op makes it seem, you can get into serious trouble quickly on a tractor. Their center of gravity is high so a lot can go wrong on a slope. Just my opinion though!

I hadn't considered this. That's not a bad idea. Although, it does make me worry a bit about liability. If they did drop the thing and even if they did cover damage, I'd hate to ruin the smoker. Although, I guess these things are built pretty tough and maybe damage to the smoker in a tilt situation isn't that likely.

The hired movers idea makes me wonder if it would actually be easier to walk it down while it's still crated rather than unpacked and on wheels?

Definitely move while crated - that's why it's in the crate to begin with.

But if the smoker gets damaged, wouldn't you rather have it covered than not covered if you and your buddies damage it?

Whatever they charge it will be cheaper than you or someone else getting hurt.

Every time I think about doing something stupid to save money, my wife says, "That's cheaper than our deductible for an ER visit."

Definitely move while crated - that's why it's in the crate to begin with.

Absolutely. Unless this smoker has 4 car tires, they are going to sink into the ground this time of year, expecially if it rains a few days before it arrives.

Unless this smoker has 4 car tires, they are going to sink into the ground this time of year, expecially if it rains a few days before it arrives.

He mentioned it will have 15" lawnmower tires, so the 250 lbs per tire shouldn't be a big deal. But that is also why I suggested the possibility of using two 4x8' sheets of plywood to create a movable path. If there is a sprinkler system, turning it off for a few days would help.

Another option not mentioned is to have the crate unloaded on to a small trailer and just back it down with a vehicle.

He could rent a telehandler, delivered, for $565 a day. That's an all terrain forklift that will lift 5000 lbs 16-20 feet in the air. Might be less elsewhere.

I agree with the winch concept (tied to your car or a very secure anchor at the top of the hill) to gently let it down the hill. Harbor freight has ones that are certainly "good enough" and, you can use it again to help get the smoker back up the hill if you ever need to.

I'd kind of like to see pictures of the hill and area you're dealing with to give you any more ideas (can your car be parked in a way to give your winch an anchor point? If not, is there any other strong anchor points you can use?).

With a winch and a straight-shot downhill drop, I'd probably be stupid enough to try it on my own but, I can be an idiot sometimes. Don't be an idiot :) Have some friends there to help and take it carefully.

Good luck and, post a pic when you get it down there and placed!

He mentioned it will have 15" lawnmower tires, so the 250 lbs per tire shouldn't be a big deal. But that is also why I suggested the possibility of using two 4x8' sheets of plywood to create a movable path. If there is a sprinkler system, turning it off for a few days would help.

Another option not mentioned is to have the crate unloaded on to a small trailer and just back it down with a vehicle.

He could rent a telehandler, delivered, for $565 a day. That's an all terrain forklift that will lift 5000 lbs 16-20 feet in the air. Might be less elsewhere.

That's nuts. Thats a 1/4 of the costs for most residential smokers. Or at least close.

That's nuts. Thats a 1/4 of the costs for most residential smokers.

The Fatstack 120 is not most residential smokers.

Just providing options. If there is some construction nearby they might do it for a case of beer, or $50. They certainly would for some bbq!

Leave it in the driveway.........

MLcLpmIl.jpg

Back