MoFo Brisket Chili HELP PLEASE!

silverfinger

Babbling Farker
MoFo Brisket Chili
I am in the process of making this chili and the directions say starting at # 5

5. Add all dry spices and seasonings except for paprika and chili powder. Stir into onion, bacon and garlic mixture.

This recipe never says when to add paprika and chili powder.
Any help would be awesome right now. THANKS!!!

It never says when to add the
Recipe Number: 1131679118
Contributor: Jeff in KC
Serves: About 10-12
Calories Per Serving: ungodly
Preparation Time: 1 hour
Difficulty: NA
Ingredients:
2 lbs. smoked brisket (chunked, cubed)
4 strips cooked bacon (cut up)
4 cloves garlic (diced)
1 small onion (diced)
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 Tbs red pepper flakes
1 Tbs seasoning salt
3 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs paprika
1 Tbs dry mustard
1 tsp ground oregano
1 can Rotel1
12 oz. can V8 Picante
1 small can tomato paste
1 12 oz. bottle dark beer Cooking

Instructions:
1. Chunk brisket and place in bottom of a large crock pot
2. Dice garlic cloves finely and onion finely or leave larger chunks based uopn preference.
3. Fry bacon slices in large skillet until nearly crisp. Chop bacon and retain grease in skillet.
4. Put bacon back in skillet along with diced garlic and onion. Saute until onion is transluscent.
5. Add all dry spices and seasonings except for paprika and chili powder. Stir into onion, bacon and garlic mixture.
6. Add Rotel, V8 and tomato paste to mixture. Stir well until tomato paste is thinned.
7. Add a full bottle of dark beer. I use Fat Tire or Newcastle but any good dark beer will do. Mix well and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Dump mixture on top of brisket in Crock Pot and stir well. Add a medium size jar of your favorite salsa in your prefered heat level. Then add additional V8 if the crock pot needs to be more full.
9. If you're a bean person, add a can of black beans and a can of pinto beans and mix in well.
10. Cover and set on low for a minimum of six hours, preferably 8-12 hours if time allows.
Serving Suggestions:
Try serving over Fritos with shredded cheese on top. You can also add a hotter sauce at the table if desired.
Additional Comments:
This is one of the best chili recipes I've tried. Anything less (read: without brisket) won't measure up.

ive done it two ways. ive added the all of the dry spices at once. and ive added the paprika and chili powder when it goes in the crock pot or pot. Both came out tasting the same.

Thanks,
I added it when I poured everything into the pot. That will help me sleep better tonight. I think my blood pressure just dropped a little.

Ok,
In the making of my first chili I tried to follow the directions of this recipe. The first problem I ran across is V8 no longer makes a picante V8 so I used there spicy & hot. I turned on my crockpot last night at 11:00 and went to bed. When I got up this morning about 7:30 my chili was boiling away so I shut it down. Even tho I had it on low it seemed to be over cooked. It also seems to be too spicy. It is starting to taste a bit better now that it is cooling but not the results I was hoping for. Any advice on what to substitute the V8 picante with? Also, could I have a defective crockpot since it seemed to over cook in 8 hrs ?

well i might have made mine wrong.. i use 1 12oz can v8, and a medium size jar of pace picante. i think thats what the recipe calls for. ill have to check

yep, ive been going against the recipe... but you know what. its damn good chili. ill keep making it that way

This is the beer I used.
a6898d7c-d98f-e1b2.jpg

Last edited:
My family does not care for spicy either. I might be headed to the PB after that batch of chili. I think the ribs will be the only thing that saves me today. 5 racks of spares (not spicy).

Back